• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

HUNTERS GONNA HUNT FOR MEAT ... Amid Shortage Fears

Down here it'd be fish. Lots and lots of fish. People have, do, and will fill their freezers with flounder, stripers, bluefish, spanish and king mackerel, red drum, black drum, black sea bass, grouper, cobia, speckled sea trout, crabs, scallops, oysters, and damned near everything else that swims or crawls. We have turtles both fresh and salt, and snakes out the wazoo.

Yeah we have a 155K acre Croatan National forest full of turkey and deer across the street, too. Maybe some wild hogs and bear in there but not many here on the coast.

Living off the land is way easier down south....much more game. Much easier conditions.

Depends on how you hunt.

My uncle's were Killin plenty of deer in the Merrimac valley area of new England in the 1970s (back when there were way fewer deer) with old model 12s wearing the same jeans and caarhart coat they wore to work that day. Do we really need all that stuff?

I don't use 75% of the stuff on your list and I enjoy hunting And am successful

Gun hunting is easy.....you really don't need much and don't need to get that close.

Bow hunting......a treestand setup and some other things increase your odds dramatically. Of course a lot of us go over the top and get really crazy, buy extra setups, have all sorts of stuff for different scenarios......but still gear cost some money. Fred Bear didn't do treestands much...but he also took shots out to 100 yards with his recurve. Most people don't do that with a crossbow. Distance thinking and "ethics" were a bit different back then...everyone had a gun hunting mentality....see deer shoot it. No one cared if something got wounded unethically.

And Shxt if your gonna hunt legally, licenses cost some money. Think of going out west or midwest as a non resident.....your into it for $500 - 1000 bucks or more before you even get out of your truck cause the license cost that. And if you don't fill your tag......god you could have bought a lot of meat with that.

I'm not too worried about the food supply chain. Truth be told. Plants are coming back online. President told Tyson and Perdu to STFU, put on some masks and get back to work. Was at the grocery store the other day and again today. Plenty of meats... No package limits advertised, although prices were very inflated.

Gun hunting is easy.....you really don't need much and don't need to get that close.

Bow hunting......a treestand setup and some other things increase your odds dramatically. Of course a lot of us go over the top and get really crazy, buy extra setups, have all sorts of stuff for different scenarios......but still gear cost some money.

And Shxt if your gonna hunt legally, licenses cost some money. Think of going out west or midwest as a non resident.....your into it for $500 - 1000 bucks or more before you even get out of your truck cause the license cost that. And if you don't fill your tag......god you could have bought a lot of meat with that.

Let's not even talk about the coveted nonresident buck tag in Iowa... Or the nonresident bull elk tag in Colorado. Pricing isn't measured in hundreds, but thousands by the time you're done with preference points and other such nonsense... Not to mention the waiting several years...

Meanwhile, you can buy tags over the counter in many states like KY where there are more public lands and the bucks are almost as big and burly.

Awesome. I started with a mossy 500 and used the hell out of it. Have to admit I've upgraded a bit on hunting guns since those days and sold the old 500 to a buddy a few weeks ago.....but it was to get him started on hunting with his boy so it was a good sale.....and my first time ever selling a gun lol.

I don't know if I could bear to sell the old gal at this point.
It's never let me down.
I was somewhat less attached to my Hawken though and did upgrade to the T/C Omega and never regretted that one.
Do love those fiber optic sights.

I don't know if I could bear to sell the old gal at this point.
It's never let me down.
I was somewhat less attached to my Hawken though and did upgrade to the T/C Omega and never regretted that one.
Do love those fiber optic sights.
It actually wasn't easy to part with but it sat in my safe unused for 3 years. He mentioned he wanted to get into hunting (easier for him he's a nh resident so no ltc) and he's living on a tight budget. A buddy of mine helped me out years ago and sold it to me on the cheap so I did the same for my friend. I sold him the gun with the 28 inch bird barrel with 4 chokes and the smooth bore deer hunting barrel with iron sights for $150. It's worth at least twice that with the extra barrel but I'd like to see him get into hunting with his kid.

Also....I have an omega and an impact from TC. The omega is a beautiful muzzle loading rifle much attention to detail in the quality. Have to say though for practicality and actual use in the field the impact is a better gun for me. The dog ear latch is easier to open and the break action makes it a hell of alot easier to clean.......especially with a scope attached. The omega with a scope is a total bitch to get the breach plug on and off. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
I'll fish for meat 🦈

Then there's always the neighbors dog o_O, dame coyotes strike again

Last edited:
It actually wasn't easy to part with but it sat in my safe unused for 3 years. He mentioned he wanted to get into hunting (easier for him he's a nh resident so no ltc) and he's living on a tight budget. A buddy of mine helped me out years ago and sold it to me on the cheap so I did the same for my friend. I sold him the gun with the 28 inch bird barrel with 4 chokes and the smooth bore deer hunting barrel with iron sights for $150. It's worth at least twice that with the extra barrel but I'd like to see him get into hunting with his kid.

Also....I have an omega and an impact from TC. The omega is a beautiful muzzle loading rifle much attention to detail in the quality. Have to say though for practicality and actual use in the field the impact is a better gun for me. The dog ear latch is easier to open and the break action makes it a hell of alot easier to clean.......especially with a scope attached. The omega with a scope is a total bitch to get the breach plug on and off. Just my thoughts.

The work around I have found with Omega breech plug is a socket with a 6" extension rather that the wrench that comes with the kit.
Might not be very practical out in the field but for normal cleaning it saves some cussing.
Speaking of cussing , I also learned to put the breach plug in just finger tight and then a wee bit of a snug .
The first time I cranked it in there I thought I'd never get the damn thing out again.

The work around I have found with Omega breech plug is a socket with a 6" extension rather that the wrench that comes with the kit.
Might not be very practical out in the field but for normal cleaning it saves some cussing.
Speaking of cussing , I also learned to put the breach plug in just finger tight and then a wee bit of a snug .
The first time I cranked it in there I thought I'd never get the damn thing out again.
Yeah I never though of an extension.

Again....if they hunting deer now they are poaching. Media doesn't know shit about anything...they think you can hunt anything when you want, and you can't legally.

Again....if they hunting deer now they are poaching.

True^

Media doesn't know shit about anything...they think you can hunt anything when you want, and you can't legally.

Sometimes they do know, but they intentionally lie or distort the facts.

Here's an example, remember Bambi ???
Bambi was a small fawn.
When are fawns born ?, in the Spring.
How did Bambi become an orphan ?
His mother was killed by a hunter.
When is hunting season ?, in the Fall.
So if Bambis mother was shot in the Spring, then she wasn't killed by a hunter, she was killed by a poacher.
Big difference between the two, but Disney didn't like hunting, so he used that story to intentionally mislead the public to make hunters look bad .

I still hunt with the Mossberg 500 that I bought 40 some odd years ago for $120 .
Freezer is full.

Me too!!! LOL. $125 out the door at Ivanhoe's in Watertown. no case, no wrapping...nothing. walked out the door and my ex-fiance was sitting in her car at the lights. She shit a football!! LMFAO

Back
Top Bottom