• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

hunter shoots mountain biker in NH.

Good news is that it sounds like the mountain biker will be fine.
Bad news is.....well......its more bad news for hunters and more fuel for the anti hunter to use.

I still say this twit got hit with a couple pellets fired at a pheasant and the media is making a big deal about it "cuz gunz".

Even if it isn't (I don't know and can't tell from the story), I'm sticking with my story. It sounds better for us, makes people not as scared, and if I'm wrong - eff it, the left is wrong about us so much it's time to play by their rules - "she wasn't SHOT, she was hit with a pellet from 1/4 mile away, freaked out and ran her bike into a tree, nitwit".

I still say this twit got hit with a couple pellets fired at a pheasant and the media is making a big deal about it "cuz gunz".

Even if it isn't (I don't know and can't tell from the story), I'm sticking with my story. It sounds better for us, makes people not as scared, and if I'm wrong - eff it, the left is wrong about us so much it's time to play by their rules - "she wasn't SHOT, she was hit with a pellet from 1/4 mile away, freaked out and ran her bike into a tree, nitwit".
maybe she wasn't SHOT......but was she HOT?:cool:

And I agree with you on the bird shot scenario. I have been "pinged" by birdshot while pheasant hunting and while its a bit disheartening.......it was not the end of the world. When a bird hunter is 100 plus yards away he can't see you on the other end of the field......and pellets do rain down....its rare but it happens. I wish we knew the full story.

I'm thinking if she got hit with a 30-30, the paper would be talking about life "threatening wounds caused by a CAR (Cowboy Assault Rifles), which were only made to wreak genocide on the native Americans". If the hunter used an AR, then it would talk about how the gun can't help itself but seek human blood, and clearly has no sporting purpose.

Unless I know otherwise, I'm making up my own stories. Maybe I can get hired for a paper one day?

maybe she wasn't SHOT......but was she HOT?:cool:

And I agree with you on the bird shot scenario. I have been "pinged" by birdshot while pheasant hunting and while its a bit disheartening.......it was not the end of the world. When a bird hunter is 100 plus yards away he can't see you on the other end of the field......and pellets do rain down....its rare but it happens. I wish we knew the full story.

Any one thats been bird hunting for a moderate length of time has had pellets rain on them. To me its just another day in the field because usually when it happens, I cannot see the other hunter nor could he or she see me, and usually I can't even see the bird he or she is shooting at. People that get pissed off when this happens are unrealistic. Pellets shot up in the air go a long way.

I've done it to people I didn't see, and others have done it to me when they didn't see me. This is also the reason shooting low birds is very stupid, pellets raining on you are one thing, pellets coming in at direct angle head height is another.

Now, if I can visibly see someone and a bird goes up between us we can both see and they shoot in my direction, thats a different story. This has never happened to me yet.

But I've seen a lot over the years...the worst was once hunting private land in the Berkshires during opening week of shotgun. I was sitting on stand and watched some dude in a brown fur coat walk by 40 yards away. I called him over, yup, I saw it right....brown FUR coat...and he came up with a doofy grin on his face. Asked him a few questions, trying to discern if he was an anti pulling some stunt or something and should I call the game warden.

Nope, just some dumbass...pot smoker moron hippie walking in the woods, no idea it's deer season. My uncle and father were in the area and I didn't want them to shoot his dumb ass by mistake....so I gave him my vest, made him put it on and told him he was on private land and didn't have permission to be there. Gave him a point to the nearest cart road and told him to get his ass out of here.

I come out of the woods at the end of shooting light and my uncle and father are like...where's your f'ing vest? Said "your not going to believe this one"....

Last edited:
After an incident with hunters up at Goat Hill in Uxbridge I gave up mountain biking anywhere near hunting season. I have no problem with hunting and the stealth it takes to get one, but why would you set up close to a very popular and busy mountain bike section of forest?

After an incident with hunters up at Goat Hill in Uxbridge I gave up mountain biking anywhere near hunting season. I have no problem with hunting and the stealth it takes to get one, but why would you set up close to a very popular and busy mountain bike section of forest?
I hear you. Setting up next to a well used trail is just plain dumb.

It works both ways though. A few weeks ago I was squirrel hunting with my boy.......we walked down what I call a "hunters path"......it is not a well used trail......its barely even a path.....along a ridge line......still has leaves on it and some brush you need to push out of the way and runs straight through a WMA. I was sitting quietly about 20 yards off the path and low and behold two mountain bikes come banging and slamming down the path. no orange......my opinion on that.....why they hell are you out here off the beaten path on a wma on a Saturday morning during hunting season? I know we all have to share the public land but Christ.......can't you go to a state park or established mountain bike trail?

Because some city slicker hunters are lazy and afraid of getting lost.

before we start blaming the hunter we need all the facts

lesa_bike_deer.jpg

santaclaus_parade2005_deer.jpg

Stupid, is the a**h*** that shot her. There is NO excuse for mistaking a human for a deer.

As a mountain biker, I'm going to play devil's advocate here (and will probably lose my Secret MTB Decoder Ring as a result). On a descent or fast non-technical straightaway, I can easily get to 15 MPH, which is 22 FPS. Keeping in mind that trails are in the woods, with sightlines blocked by the usual woodland features, if a hunter is concentrating on a target, peripheral vision had better be DAMNED good to pick up on a rider entering frame of vision at that speed. Even in full blaze (which _I_ wear, but most others don't).

This is a classic user conflict problem, and one the MOUNTAIN BIKERS need to address primarily, as the hunters are: (1) a larger constituency; (2) an older constituency; (3) one paying millions of dollars directly into state coffers.

I had cause to do work in a hunting area here in Connecticut yesterday - big blowdown that had to be cleared before the weather did the New England thing and turned on a dime. Yes, I rode to it and back... head to toe in blaze, not ridiculously fast, mindful of my surroundings. Happened without incident, of course. I've NEVER had a bad experience with a hunter yet, even though I have come upon them in the course of a ride (particularly during the other seasons).

How about finding out facts before we believe fake news. She probably wasn’t even shot, an evil AR probably tripped her.

Can we merge these two threads?

After an incident with hunters up at Goat Hill in Uxbridge I gave up mountain biking anywhere near hunting season.

Not to hijack this thread, but I bike out there almost every weekend. Can you elborate?

I do wear orange, and have noticed ladder stands in there, but have never seen anyone in them.

I don't care if you are wearing a buckskin suit and antlers, no excuses.

While I mostly agree with you that in wide open hardwoods... .....if your playing in the thick brush, or mountain laurel where you can only ID pieces....I don't. I've watched deer come into a thicket of of laurel and waited til I could see the portion of heart or lungs I needed to shoot at. In many cases that's all I could see, but I identified the deer usually before hand from an elevated stand.

Around here, your lucky if you are shooting at a "whole" deer. Most know its a deer because they are on stand and see it moving in between trees/brush/whatever, waiting for it to get closer, and get a good shot at vitals.

But say your one of those hunters that push deer thru thickets and laurel with a brown its down doe permit, my estimate is 80% of those hunters
would ventilate that ahole dressed in a fur/antler costume in a heavy thicket. A lot of those guys use buckshot, shoot and ask questions later.
Not that I agree with it, or is it a healthy practice, but that's reality. To me that guy in a buckskin/antlers/anti hunter suit is playing stupid games and winning stupid prizes.

Lets face it, most of these incidents are hunters shooting too late after shooting time at shxt they can't see properly. That is dumb. I used to hunt dark til dark. Go in way before time, I had a lot of deer under my stand in the dark. Like pissing on them distance....you can't shoot what you can't see, no matter how hard you try and make something out in the dark, you are shooting at noise. And that is a fxcking disaster waiting to happen. To me a 5 dollar headlight is really the a lifesaver....wear it in and wear it out. and I wear it while walking the dog in the dusk, etc. If someone shoots you with a goddamn light on your head....WTF.

Last edited:
I agree with Mark on this one. Wear a light too if it's close to dark. Many are in stands before/after shooting hours and many are taking shots they shouldn't be. When I was picking up my mount (last years deer) just this week my taxidermist told me about how he got shot at walking in 45 minutes before sunrise - no light. He wanted to emphasize the point to me - make sure you have a light. Trying to be stealthy by going absent a light isn't worth it. I guess a near death experience can cause one to do that. He was quite emphatic. I already practice this though. I'm not absent a light in the near dark or dark.

I use a red light going in (deer don't see in the red spectrum) and a white light coming out. I don't care if they see me coming out as I'm 100% mobile and almost never return to an area previously hunted. They're going to detect I was there anyway by the scent trail I leave behind.

You know, not everyone knows when hunting season is. I don’t. I probably wouldn’t think twice about wearing orange if I was on a well used bike path.

There's no excuse for this. A hunter have to be sure what they are aiming. Also, i think i should be disallowed activities like biking on a hunting area

There's no excuse for this. A hunter have to be sure what they are aiming. Also, i think i should be disallowed activities like biking on a hunting area
If hunters like the one in this story made sure they were shooting at a deer this shit wouldn't happen and we can all enjoy public land together. The chances of a hunter shooting at a deer and a pass through hitting a hiker or biker are so ulikely it's almost negated. Think about it......if I'm seeing a Deer in the woods in front of me at 50 to even 100 yards.....and a hiker or biker come down the trail behind him that deer is gonna bolt off anyway and your not going to get a shot off......or....the deer wouldn't have been there in the first place if someone was coming down a trail that close by.

When I shoot at a deer.......I'm shooting at a DEER.....not something that looks like it kind of might be a deer! If you shoot a biker or hiker it's the hunters fault nobody else's.......even if they are not wearing orange.

Back
Top Bottom