• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunter shoots himself in the chest while checking ice thickness

Coming soon:
Maura Bans muzzle loaders because they are "unsafe"

I'm not familiar with those... but aren't most of them .50 caliber? That would make a pretty big hole in his chest.

A 50 ML doesnt have the velocity that a 50 cal centerfire rifle has. It is a big bullet but doesn't have much punch past 100yrds. However, I would not want to be shot with one regardless.

"Hunter shoots himself"

Most accurate post title evah!

"Family members say Hunter Richardson was out hunting with his father, brother and cousin when he shot himself in the chest by mistake."

A 50 ML doesnt have the velocity that a 50 cal centerfire rifle has. It is a big bullet but doesn't have much punch past 100yrds. However, I would not want to be shot with one regardless.

Let's assume he had a 250 grain sabot in there which is what I'd say 75% if the hunters out there are using. With 100 grains of BP that comes out at just shy of 2000fps. If he was using 150 grains BP that's 2187fps according to my load charts anyway. And that's about 2000 ft pounds of energy either way.

Compared to the s and w 500 Magnum....300 grain bullet at about 2075 fps and 2865 ft pounds of energy.

So is the smoke pole less powerful......Yeah but it's no ****ing slouch. They do the smack down on a white tail at 75_100 yards VERY well so point blank range is a hell of a devastating blow.

Last edited:
He's an 18 year old kid. Sometimes kids do dumb things. Cut him some slack.

That being said, I find it shocking that he took a bullet from a muzzleloader to the chest at point blank range and lived.

Sorry but no. I'm not giving anyone that points a loaded long gun to his chest and bangs it on a hard surface one ****ing inch of slack. And since when does being 18 mean someone has an excuse for being an ass clown? 18 is not a kid. That's an adult......And in this case a very low mental capacity adult that is just shit lucky to be alive.

Sorry but no. I'm not giving anyone that points a loaded long gun to his chest and bangs it on a hard surface one ****ing inch of slack. And since when does being 18 mean someone has an excuse for being an ass clown? 18 is not a kid. That's an adult......And in this case a very low mental capacity adult that is just shit lucky to be alive.

There are plenty of "them" out there. Never forget that we share the woods with them.[shocked]

Bob

He simultaneously won and lost at the most dangerous game. Wonder if he had a stamp for humans...

He's an 18 year old kid. Sometimes kids do dumb things. Cut him some slack.

That being said, I find it shocking that he took a bullet from a muzzleloader to the chest at point blank range and lived.

NO. No slack. 18 is an adult. Presumably, he's a graduate of Hunter Ed. Most likely has an FID.

Just stupid. Well, that, and lucky.

How is "Stupid" equivalent to "Fudd"?
Well, Fudds are stupid so between him being very stupid and hunting with a muzzleloader, chances are he's a Fudd. Those of you that hunt BP and manage not to shoot yourselves in the process, might not be Fudds.

We just butchered a deer this afternoon that was shot with a 240 gr. .50 cal. sabot at about 80 yards.
Perfect shot with the heart split almost in half and one lung blown out.
We lost the entire front shoulder on the opposite side where it exited.
Nothing but blown up meat and shattered bone.
It looked like the damn thing stepped on a land mine.
I'm amazed this kid lived taking one through the chest.

Please quote me saying that.

You said he was stupid and hunting with a muzzle loader so chances are he was a fudd. Now.....I think we all know some stupid gun owners here that are not at all fudds. You also said if we hunt BP and manage to not shoot ourselves we MIGHT not be fudds. Let's just have you face up to it.....You heard muzzle loader and hunter and immediately "typed" him as a fudd. You said it......Time to own it.

Last edited:
You said he was stupid and hunting with a muzzle loader so chances are he was a fudd. Now.....I think we all know some stupid gun owners here that are not at all fudds. You also said if we hunt BP and manage to not shoot ourselves we MIGHT not be fudds. Let's just have you face up to it.....You heard muzzle loader and hunter and immediately "typed" him as a fudd. You said it......Time to own it.
Fudds are typically associated with muzzleloaders and double-barrel shotguns, no? Fudds also often don't follow safety even though they think they do - even in my hunter ed course the fudd instructors were very unsafe. This story includes both parts of the fudd recipe, hence my comments. No need to be so defensive about it, gee...

Back
Top Bottom