• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunter shoots himself in the chest while checking ice thickness

Goliathan

NES Member
From MEP's facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/MAEnvironm...265148819226/1023217557823981/?type=3&theater

If you don't want to click through, here's the text:

On the morning of Saturday, December 24, 2016, a hunter was attempting to determine ice thickness by testing the surface of the ice with the butt of his firearm. The firearm, a muzzleloader rifle, discharged and struck the hunter in the chest. The quick actions of first responders helped to mitigate blood loss; the victim is currently in stable condition.

One of the primary rules in hunter safety is maintaining muzzle control and keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction at all times. A safe direction means that, in the event the firearm discharges, it will not cause injury or damage.

Dumba$$. I mean, really.

Shouldn't you check ice thickness by walking out to the middle of the frozen pond then discharge your firearm into the ice between your feet? Is that not correct?

Darwin at work. Probably would have been better is he was a couple inches to the left...

Reminds me of a "1000 ways to die" clip my son showed me. A jealous estranged husband decided to smash the wife's windshield with the stock of his shotgun, swinging it like an axe while holding the barrel.
She heard a BOOM and when she came out to investigate she discovered his headless corpse.

Coming soon:
Maura Bans muzzle loaders because they are "unsafe"

I'm not familiar with those... but aren't most of them .50 caliber? That would make a pretty big hole in his chest.

Reminds me of a story back in the Army in 1968 when I was stationed at Fort Campbell, KY. I got picked to ride along on a trip to Missouri to pick up a Basic Trainee who
shot himself in the foot while on leave before AIT. He shot himself in the foot with a 12 ga. Shotgun. His story was he was out hunting, but the Doctors at the civilian hospital told
us it was probaly a self inflicted wound. He literally blew off half of his foot!

On the trip back, he admitted to us that he did in fact do it, because he didn't want to go to Vietnam.

We were stopped a red light in a small town, and he mentioned he always had a problem driving through towns with traffic lights, because he was Colorblind!

I told him, "You dumb-f**k!" Don't you know you can't be sent into combat if you are Colorblind!"

He also thought he would get a Medical Discharge and a "pension" because he was in the Army.

He ended up getting a Court Martial and Bad Conduct Discharge....[rofl][rofl]

Well.

Something to mention in the next Hunter Ed course I help teach.

I remember back when I took mine they showed some gory stuff they never would today.
A dude hanging upside down by his pant leg on a barbed wire fence with a bay window in his chest. Don't try and jump a fence with a loaded shotgun.

A guy sitting in his car in Kansas if I recall, with a hole in the windshield and in his forehead.
Some numbnuts a couple of miles down the road shot at a deer in the middle of the road.

Some snowflake would probably sue for mental distress if they did it today, but it made an impression.

Yeah....AFAIK, that's no longer part of the curriculum. [laugh] [puke]

We've never had a squeamishness problem with the students, though a couple of years back, we had a deaf student, and the State provided sign translators. A couple of them were not overly enthused with the subject matter, though they were professional.

IIRC, we offered the Translators the option to take the test (as they'd attended the class), but they declined. [laugh]

Reminds me of a story back in the Army in 1968 when I was stationed at Fort Campbell, KY. I got picked to ride along on a trip to Missouri to pick up a Basic Trainee who
shot himself in the foot while on leave before AIT. He shot himself in the foot with a 12 ga. Shotgun. His story was he was out hunting, but the Doctors at the civilian hospital told
us it was probaly a self inflicted wound. He literally blew off half of his foot!

On the trip back, he admitted to us that he did in fact do it, because he didn't want to go to Vietnam.

We were stopped a red light in a small town, and he mentioned he always had a problem driving through towns with traffic lights, because he was Colorblind!

I told him, "You dumb-f**k!" Don't you know you can't be sent into combat if you are Colorblind!"

He also thought he would get a Medical Discharge and a "pension" because he was in the Army.

He ended up getting a Court Martial and Bad Conduct Discharge....[rofl][rofl]

He could have saved his foot and said he was gay.

Shouldn't you check ice thickness by walking out to the middle of the frozen pond then discharge your firearm into the ice between your feet? Is that not correct?

well, yes, obviously he was not properly trained.

Another great way to check is to accidentally shoot your only hockey puck way out into the middle of the lake and have to go get it. If you make it back, its thick enough

He's an 18 year old kid. Sometimes kids do dumb things. Cut him some slack.

That being said, I find it shocking that he took a bullet from a muzzleloader to the chest at point blank range and lived.

Last edited:
He's an 18 year old kid. Sometimes kids do dumb things. Cut him some slack.

That being said, I find it shocking that he took a slug from a muzzle loader to the chest at point blank range and lived.
Where does it say he's 18?

Back
Top Bottom