• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunter Safety Courses - online vs live

Hi All,
I have an apprentice I'd like to get certified and looking for the best way that fits his schedule. I'm not a member of a club and his school/life schedule is something to be considered as well. North Shore Mass is the region at present and we're looking to get running for the 2016-2017 season for the youth hunts etc.

I know there are on-line options and some require "field days" for completion - this is not a scary thing to us but it does need scheduling. If there are courses without "field days" I will replicate a few to insure the lessons have been learned, that's my requirement.

On-line has many options that "prep" for the exams - Great, where are the exams? I'm not worried about the fees either mostly - It's about the cert and lessons and getting this kids to "go through the ropes" and do his walking before he goes solo.

Anyway, thanks for your advise.

IMO it is best to take the course in the state you plan on hunting. This way the legal aspects of the course match where you are going to hunt.

Often people can't get into a class as they are full. The closer you get to the hunting season the faster they fill up. If the class is full you can show up but you are taking your chances that they have enough materials for you to take the class. Because the class is free there are often "no shows" so there are seats and materials. Available.

There is an online only option to take the Texas course. It is accepted by Mass but it isn't free:
https://www.hunter-ed.com/texas/

Bob

ETA:

As an aside I highly recommend the Mass courses. They are free and well done. The Map, Compass, and Survival course is terrific as their Muzzle Loader course.

Last edited:
IMO it is best to take the course in the state you plan on hunting. This way the legal aspects of the course match where you are going to hunt.

Often people can't get into a class as they are full. The closer you get to the hunting season the faster they fill up. If the class is full you can show up but you are taking your chances that they have enough materials for you to take the class. Because the class is free there are often "no shows" so there are seats and materials. Available.

There is an online only option to take the Texas course. It is accepted by Mass but it isn't free:
https://www.hunter-ed.com/texas/

Bob

ETA:

As an aside I highly recommend the Mass courses. They are free and well done. The Map, Compass, and Survival course is terrific as their Muzzle Loader course.

just to add one thing.

depenfing on the individuals age, the Texas course might not work.

teenagers under a certain age must also complete a field day to pass the Texas course.

Exactly. Need to make the cost explicit, pay guys 100/night for running it, and get more hunters hunting before its just 10 old guys talking about the good old days!

Back
Top Bottom