Hunt and hike in the Whites....what guns?

I was hiking in the Green Mountains a few weeks ago and came across a couple guys filtering water by a stream. One was shirtless and had a 50 cal Desert Eagle on a chest holster. For big game protection, a large caliber pistol on a chest holster seems like a good combo.

You don’t really need a large caliber, but it doesn’t hurt.

This is a neat analysis of firearm usage in self defense against bears, using actual data.

Defense Against Bears with Pistols: 97% Success rate, 37 Incidents

I getting too old to care anymore, and just open carries whenever I go hiking in NH. I have a small, slim holster sewed onto the belly band of my backpack, it holds the gun close to the body and somewhat hidden under my arm so it's not too obvious, but at the same time provides instant access if needed.

original.jpg

original.jpg

When I hiked Carter Dome last year I met two women from Mass at the summit, and we chatted for a brief moment. But as soon as one of them saw the gun she went very quiet and suddenly had to hurry up on to Mount Height, while I went on to Carter Middle.

Funny thing is, I later met them again at the end of the Cater Dome trail - they had somehow missed the junction to Nineteen Mile trail, it was getting late in the day, and went up again in despair. When I explained to them that yes, the trail you are looking for is maybe 50 yards further down so just keep going, all of a sudden I was their "favorite person" (direct quote) and the gun didn't seem to matter any more. They were very grateful to be "rescued" by what they thought was an insane lunatic with a gun.

Last edited:
You don’t need a permit to CC in NH. If I was going I would have my Glock 20. With some hard hitting Underwood ammo in it

This is exactly what I Carry in a quick access pack.

jframe.jpg I carry bear spray in my waterbottle holder. That is my first line of defense for 4-legged animals.
I carry a S&W 360 with 38S Underwood Extreme Penetrators in the hip pouch of my pack for defense against 2-legged animals and stubborn critters. I have padded the inward facing holster (which is a Dark Star AIWB) with a foam wedge for comfort. I've used this set up for hiking 12 4000 footers in the Whites since March. The only issue is that it tends to get wet when it rains so I am religious about blowing it out and lubing it in between hikes.

I just took a quick look at nh hunting season info and on sep 15 the only game I see open for a gun is grey squirrel red fox and grey fox......and of course red squirrel and coyote which are open year round.
Squirrel, geese, fox red and gray, raccoon, opossum, skunk, and bear open on the 1st of September. Coyote open all year.

I getting too old to care anymore, and just open carries whenever I go hiking in NH.
That's one of the (very few) nice things about getting older. People respond to you differently. Open carrying, you just don't get perceived to be the kind of threat you would be if you were still 25.

Since I have a NH LTC, I have not kept up on non licensed concealed carry laws in NH. Under current laws, can you conceal carry, loaded in a vehicle without a LTC?

Not on my ATV there isn't.
I'm always driving around with a loaded shotgun chasing tourists. View attachment 299964 View attachment 299960 View attachment 299961 View attachment 299962

Sorry, I wasn't too clear with my previous statement.

I was talking about concealed carry on an ATV in NH. I thought I had read somewhere here, that concealed on an ATV still required a permit.

I could be completely wrong, I don't ATV, so I'm not up in the laws.

Sweet setup btw. That may be kosher because you're on private property though, right?

I was talking about concealed carry on an ATV in NH. I thought I had read somewhere here, that concealed on an ATV still required a permit.

I could be completely wrong, I don't ATV, so I'm not up in the laws.

Sweet setup btw. That may be kosher because you're on private property though, right?
It's Clarks Trading Post in NH. I'm the "Wolfman". I do get to ride it on the public roads going to and from my hideout in the morning and at the end of the day and have gotten some strange looks.
20190820_163057.jpg

Close.

It's not "concealed carry", but carrying any loaded handgun in or on an OHRV requires a license. Carry unloaded all you want, concealed or open. Loaded long guns are also banned in/on any "vehicle".

We're working on both of those.

It's Clarks Trading Post in NH. I'm the "Wolfman". I do get to ride it on the public roads going to and from my hideout in the morning and at the end of the day and have gotten some strange looks.
View attachment 299976

Daughter and son-in-law live just down the street, on Main St. in North Woodstock. I'll look for you. :)

That's a tricked-up SxS... what happened to the Model T?

Close.

It's not "concealed carry", but carrying any loaded handgun in or on an OHRV requires a license. Carry unloaded all you want, concealed or open. Loaded long guns are also banned in/on any "vehicle".

We're working on both of those.

Daughter and son-in-law live just down the street, on Main St. in North Woodstock. I'll look for you. :)

That's a tricked-up SxS... what happened to the Model T?

That car hit a tree and got totaled.

Back
Top Bottom