Humility, and a TD Bank scam

hillman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
A lesson on humility. Every once in a while, it's good to be reminded that there is always someone out there who can give you a run for your money. I fell for a basic, but well executed phone phishing scam today. Realized it just a moment too late. Handed my bank login info on a silver platter to someone who pulled it off nearly flawlessly. Text messages and phone calls appearing to be from the right source, just enough of my personal info to convince me he was legit. He already had my login username. Just needed me to read the verification code back to him when "he" sent it to me, so he could verify it was me and lock my account. My brain didn't kick in until I read the last digit to him. I immediately hung up and tried to login. Password already changed, of course. I immediately called TD Bank...20 minute wait time. 20 minutes to do whatever with my account. During that time, I received text messages from "Amazon", "BOA", and "Walmart" about fraudulent charges occurring right now!

I consider myself above falling for this stuff. I'm suspicious of everybody and everything. Yet the delivery was so masterful, I fell for it. Of course, I had the last laugh. I'm unemployed. My bank account is already nearly empty.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i switched over to double authentication a long time ago with TD bank.
too many scams out there...did not want to lose what i had squirreled away.

even if someone had my password, they would need my cell phone to get into the account.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
even if someone had my password, they would need my cell phone to get into the account.
A current scam is to steal a cell phone # by having it transferred, and then attempt password recovery on all major banking sites.

I like the Fidelity Symantic system - an app on my phone generates a one time code. Someone stealing my phone number would need to convince the Fidelity phone service rep to register any copy of the Symantic app installed on a different phone.

If you phone number gets stolen, chance the password recovery phone on your financial accounts immediately.

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
A lesson on humility. Every once in a while, it's good to be reminded that there is always someone out there who can give you a run for your money. I fell for a basic, but well executed phone phishing scam today. Realized it just a moment too late. Handed my bank login info on a silver platter to someone who pulled it off nearly flawlessly. Text messages and phone calls appearing to be from the right source, just enough of my personal info to convince me he was legit. He already had my login username. Just needed me to read the verification code back to him when "he" sent it to me, so he could verify it was me and lock my account. My brain didn't kick in until I read the last digit to him. I immediately hung up and tried to login. Password already changed, of course. I immediately called TD Bank...20 minute wait time. 20 minutes to do whatever with my account. During that time, I received text messages from "Amazon", "BOA", and "Walmart" about fraudulent charges occurring right now!

I consider myself above falling for this stuff. I'm suspicious of everybody and everything. Yet the delivery was so masterful, I fell for it. Of course, I had the last laugh. I'm unemployed. My bank account is already nearly empty.
I got a frantic call from Madame a couple of years ago, the IRS were going to arrest her if she didn’t wire $7k right away, etc etc. She had recently re-filed a return w the IRS because her accountant founds something in her Trust account that needed to be adjusted, she was already in a heightened state of concern over her taxes and they caught her at just the right time, w her guard down. She called me w them on the other line and I started cracking up, told her to put the phone down... took me a minute to convince her but the sigh of relief when she realized what she just avoided was priceless.

FormerlyIndifferent

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damn. I haven't heard of this exact thing actually happening to someone, 'til now.

The most fraud excitement I get, is African princes or government officials, lawyers for long-lost relations, etc., emailing me telling me that they need my bank information so that I can get my share of a 37 million-dollar inheritance that my step grandfather in law, King of Timbuk4, left in Africa....or that my uncle I never heard of, bestowed to me.

Best wishes getting it sorted out and preventing it in the future.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had my legitimate bank call me because my credit card number got popped. I actually rejected their attempts to get hold of me because I thought it was a scam.

I independently looked up the contact numbers and contacted them to see what, if anything, was going on. We got it all resolved quickly and I don't think the users of my number actually got much of anything as the charges were all still pending rather than approved.

If you think your bank is trying to get hold of you, don't click on any links, don't respond to any texts, go find the contact number and call them. If they don't know why you are calling, they weren't calling.

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I actually had my legitimate bank call me because my credit card number got popped. I actually rejected their attempts to get hold of me because I thought it was a scam.

I independently looked up the contact numbers and contacted them to see what, if anything, was going on. We got it all resolved quickly and I don't think the users of my number actually got much of anything as the charges were all still pending rather than approved.

If you think your bank is trying to get hold of you, don't click on any links, don't respond to any texts, go find the contact number and call them. If they don't know why you are calling, they weren't calling.
This. I never ever click on a link but I will sign in to my account if I think the alert is legit.

SHOCKNAWE

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I couldn’t imagine ever giving any of my banking info over the phone unless I called the bank myself and was trying to do something. My bank has called me before letting me know about fraudulent charges and even then they didn’t ask me for any of my account passwords or log in info, just asking me if I actually charged something in Turkey or not lol. I’m so quick on the “ Go F’K Yourself” and hang up draw I wonder if that’s why I never get spam calls 🤷‍♂️

slipknot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I did the same a couple weeks ago on a Sunday morning
Got the text notification and immediately got the call so did not answer
I called them

hillman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Here's what happened. I was driving while this happened. I got a call from a number, did not answer as I didn't recognize it. Got a text from one of those 5 digit numbers that said something like TD Bank alert, fraudulent charge $450 from walmart, did you make this charge, 1 yes, 2 no. Then the phone number called back. The number showed as the TD Bank customer service number on the card. Ok, that tracks, I said to myself. So I answered.

A man with no accent, with full on happy customer service voice told me about a charge, asked if I'd been to Syracuse, no I said. He said ok, let's lock this account down, we'll send you a new card, yada yada. He had my address, number, and last 4 of my social. He said is your login name this? I said yes. He said, ok, I'm going to send you a six digit number to verify it's really you, just read it back to me. How he got the login name is really my only mystery, everything is available from multiple sources. And I don't use that name for anything else. I haven't lost a device recently or let anyone use one.

That six digit number was the one where you say you've lost your password and want to reset it. I had pulled over by now, and as I read that last digit, my heart sank. He was just so friggin slick and sounded professional. I am truly beating myself up over falling for it, even though they got literally nothing. Since I left my job, we consolidated our money in a different bank account, this one is just for some money I make on the side. Literally $64 in the account, to cover my Disney+ subscription mostly. I was able to get the account locked before he took even a penny, and tomorrow I'll go to the bank and probably just close it and keep our joint account. It just makes me feel so damn stupid that I didn't catch it quicker. It's so obvious looking back but in the moment, seemed so reasonable.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
changed banks a couple years ago and what's always pissed me off was their security. just logging on to the website is an ordeal. several weeks ago i get a call asking if i use a supermarket in springfield because someone tried twice to use my atm card there???? gets you thinking. had to shoot down and get a new card and number. it's crazy out there, now I'm glad their vigilant.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What annoys me is legit businesses I have a relationship calling me and asking "Can we have your birthdate to verify your identity".

F No - you called me. It is up to you to convince me you are legit.

Corporations should not be establishing this sort of request on a vendor initiated call as a "normal" way of doing business. It's a setup to teach people how to be scammed.

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
When the "IRS" called me, "Hello this Lt xxxxxx of the xxxx Police Department, you're on a recorded line, how can I help you" click.
Full disclosure, not my idea, I'm just one of many going this route.

The IRS or any related "collection" activity isn't going to start with a phone call, you're going to get a bunch of letters first.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0

What'd they say for other td people to avoid

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.6%
40   1   0
Anytime I've talked with any financial company (bank or credit card), they don't ask for my login info. I've never been asked for my account password either. I did enroll in the voice print authentication with TD a few years back, to get past that stuff sooner. With the WuTangFlu crap, the people you talk with via phone don't have access to that system. Yet at least. Last I heard (a couple of weeks ago now) they're working to resolve that. That means, whenever you call, they won't ask for ANY info.

I have notifications setup on my accounts via the apps for both bank and credit cards. I SEE every time a charge is made to any of them. I've had both text me asking if a charge was legit. Usually when they ask, it's because it's not.

In this day and age, if you don't have these kinds of notifications setup, you're only making things harder on yourself. Yes, I get messages on my phone every time I make a purchase with one of my cards. But, I expect to see that notification.

BTW, I've reported fraud charges on by TD account before. Latest occurrence was within the last month (or so). I called them to kick that all off. Had the funds back within a few days (wasn't a lot). One of the previous times, it was for a charge that I didn't even think about, since it was recurring, for months. Reported it (at the local branch) and got the funds back within a week or two. That was for charges going back over a year.
One thing that I don't like is when TD sends out a replacement card, they use F'king USPS. Even when you ask for them to expedite. Yeah, expedite and USPS should NOT be used in the same sentence. At least Capital One uses FedEx to rush a new card to you. The most recent time (a month, or so, ago) it took the card over a week to show up. I had already gone to the branch (20 minutes away) to get a new one by then. Their Saturday hours SUCK, which is why I wanted it sent to me. There's no way I could get there during the week either.

As for running the apps for the bank(s) on my phone. I use biometrics instead of passwords there. I'm glad that the Pixel 5 brought back the fingerprint sensor and ditched the face recognition.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the "IRS" called me, "Hello this Lt xxxxxx of the xxxx Police Department, you're on a recorded line, how can I help you" click.
Full disclosure, not my idea, I'm just one of many going this route.

The IRS or any related "collection" activity isn't going to start with a phone call, you're going to get a bunch of letters first.
Exactly. Letters, then certified letters where you have to sign for them.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I have my mortgage and a checking account with TD.
I went with them because, when I was mortgage shopping, they offered a special rate for first time buyers which beat all the others I looked at.
Also, the loan officer I dealt with was fantastic, he answered all my newbie questions and clued me in on a gov tax credit that I qualified for, which dropped my effective rate down another full point. Unfortunately, he left for another bank and doesn't work for TD anymore.
I don't do any online banking, other than sometimes checking a balance or looking to see if a check cleared. Yes, I still write paper checks.
I don't have a smartphone either (nor do I want one) so I don't text or do any transactions that way.
However, I do feel that TD has been hacked, because I received what purported to be a delinquent payment notice from an alleged third party collection agency, saying I missed several mortgage payments.
I knew right away it was BS, because I'm six years into a 30 year note and I'm already paid up 35% of the principal. I consistently throw extra principal into the payment every month, at this rate I'll be done in another 12 years.
Anyway, I called TD and asked what this notice was all about, they looked up my account and saw that my payment history was stellar, and said it didn't come from them, it was a scam and to ignore it. I then asked how the scammers knew my name, address, account number and the exact amount of my remaining principal ???
TD didn't have an answer for that.
I then tried to give them the address and contact phone number on the phony notice, but they weren't interested. (WTF ???)
I said "wouldn't your companies fraud department want to know that their customers data has been breeched and they're being targeted by these scammers?"
The reply I got was of total disinterest, they said there was nothing wrong with my mortgage payments (no shit Sherlock), everything was fine, just throw the notice away.
Needless to say I didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling about their attitude towards their security issues.

vario

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I get emails all the time from Banks which i have never done business with, telling me my account has been compromised, and click on the link to log into my account and fix things. Most of the time if you look at the email address it was sent from, its an individual address from Croatia or some other place.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I get emails all the time from Banks which i have never done business with, telling me my account has been compromised, and click on the link to log into my account and fix things. Most of the time if you look at the email address it was sent from, its an individual address from Croatia or some other place.
yep, me too. I also get emails from legitimate sounding companies saying "we have wired the payment for your invoice, see attached....", or "enclosed is the purchase order for....". I probably get one every other day.

once i even got such a scam thing from a company i was doing business with and was expecting something similar to come from them, but it was a scam.

there is a way to set up a sandbox in windows, and open things there safely. i really should learn how to do that. 99% of the bogus emails i get i can spot. its that other 1% that look real that i am worried about.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyway, I called TD and asked what this notice was all about, they looked up my account and saw that my payment history was stellar, and said it didn't come from them, it was a scam and to ignore it. I then asked how the scammers knew my name, address, account number and the exact amount of my remaining principal .....

Needless to say I didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling about their attitude towards their security issues.
i think if someone does an experien credit check on you, that sort of information is available to the person who paid for the check. Augment that with one or two other facts from some other searching, and they know a lot about you.

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Got a call last week from some medical company. They were working with our health insurance company and had this free service to offer. Something about a free teleconference health check in. Nope... not happening.

I nicely explained I had no idea who they were and was not willing to entertain any offers. She turned up heat on her pitch so I not so nicely said go f*ck yourself. And hung up.

Maybe legit, maybe not. But when they get more aggressive on my attempts to protect myself I suspect fraud.

BTSDOG

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
If you get an email, or text pertaining to fraud, NEVER EVER call the number THEY sent you. Make sure you already have a legitimate number for that institution in your phone. And also, NEVER click links in a text that someone else sent you, unless you are 100% positive that the link can be trusted.........

looser38

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have my mortgage and a checking account with TD.
I went with them because, when I was mortgage shopping, they offered a special rate for first time buyers which beat all the others I looked at.
Also, the loan officer I dealt with was fantastic, he answered all my newbie questions and clued me in on a gov tax credit that I qualified for, which dropped my effective rate down another full point. Unfortunately, he left for another bank and doesn't work for TD anymore.
I don't do any online banking, other than sometimes checking a balance or looking to see if a check cleared. Yes, I still write paper checks.
I don't have a smartphone either (nor do I want one) so I don't text or do any transactions that way.
However, I do feel that TD has been hacked, because I received what purported to be a delinquent payment notice from an alleged third party collection agency, saying I missed several mortgage payments.
I knew right away it was BS, because I'm six years into a 30 year note and I'm already paid up 35% of the principal. I consistently throw extra principal into the payment every month, at this rate I'll be done in another 12 years.
Anyway, I called TD and asked what this notice was all about, they looked up my account and saw that my payment history was stellar, and said it didn't come from them, it was a scam and to ignore it. I then asked how the scammers knew my name, address, account number and the exact amount of my remaining principal ???
TD didn't have an answer for that.
I then tried to give them the address and contact phone number on the phony notice, but they weren't interested. (WTF ???)
I said "wouldn't your companies fraud department want to know that their customers data has been breeched and they're being targeted by these scammers?"
The reply I got was of total disinterest, they said there was nothing wrong with my mortgage payments (no shit Sherlock), everything was fine, just throw the notice away.
Yeah, that's BIG BANK Customer Service for you. Bank of America is the exact same way, I can't wait until my mortgage is paid off, and I can walk away from them for good! I did not initiate the mortgage with them, they bought it from the originator.

PATRON

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 99%
100   1   1
I tell everyone to give me their number,and I will call them back,and I call the bank to see if it's legit.

Smokewagon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I got a frantic call from Madame a couple of years ago, the IRS were going to arrest her if she didn’t wire $7k right away, etc etc. She had recently re-filed a return w the IRS because her accountant founds something in her Trust account that needed to be adjusted, she was already in a heightened state of concern over her taxes and they caught her at just the right time, w her guard down. She called me w them on the other line and I started cracking up, told her to put the phone down... took me a minute to convince her but the sigh of relief when she realized what she just avoided was priceless.
This one is my favorite. They always have the worst accents too. They almost got the wife a few years ago, similar situation with refiling due to a missed form or something. She was pretty freaked out due to the threats, probably didn't help she as about 7 or 8 months pregnant at the time. She realized what was happening when they told her they would accept gift cards as payment instead of a bank transfer or whatever else they were offering.

Top Bottom