Humidity and Powder and primers

There is a good chance we will be moving in the near future. I currently store my powder and primers in a climate controlled room on my basement. With the move I will lose this room. My concern is humidity in the shop. I was thinking of storing them in a couple of old chest freezers with a small dehumidifier in there. A small one in the shop and a larger one out in an outbuilding. Is that overkill?

There is a good chance we will be moving in the near future. I currently store my powder and primers in a climate controlled room on my basement. With the move I will lose this room. My concern is humidity in the shop. I was thinking of storing them in a couple of old chest freezers with a small dehumidifier in there. A small one in the shop and a larger one out in an outbuilding. Is that overkill?

How long are you going to store them before they are used? If you turn over your inventory even at a modest pace, ignore the temp and humidity, won't matter.
On the other hand if you are going to keep them for years (>1) then go for it. If that was me, with the more obscure powders I might consider something along
your lines if that was the only solution. Primers not so much. Before I got my cellar dehumidifier, I stored primers and powder for more than a decade without problems.

I 2 gallon ziplock bag as many boxes of primers that will fit. Powder is sealed properly. After that outside conditions are irrelevant IMO. I do agree if you are burning through stuff short term there will be no problems with mild swings in humidity and temp.

Whenever I unpack something and one of those silica gel "DO NOT EAT!" Packages falls out I save.them to toss into the containers I keep primers, loaded ammo, and even polished brass in.

Its Free and I figure it can't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom