• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

https://..... in the email link

yes. i suspect this is the cause of my problem. any work-around for xp users?

Firefox is the only workaround for using SSL in Windows XP. Due to the age of the operating system, the type of SSL certificate we use is not supported. Firefox implements their own handling of the cert, that is why it remains working.

That, or upgrade to an operating system developed in the last 10 years. Windows 10 is free for licensed users of XP, there are few to no valid reasons not to upgrade.

Last edited:
Further, if you are using XP and FireFox AND AVAST AV, the page will be blocked. AVAST sees the "expired" cert and blocks the page from loading. The only work around is to turn off AVAST while at NES.

Further, if you are using XP and FireFox AND AVAST AV, the page will be blocked. AVAST sees the "expired" cert and blocks the page from loading. The only work around is to turn off AVAST while at NES.
NON-SSL pages are still available if you just drop the S off of HTTPS.

On those same lines, if you leave ITrader for someone you can not put the link in as https for the referenced thread, it will work if you change it to http.
You get an invalid link error.
Both chrome and firefox do this

On those same lines, if you leave ITrader for someone you can not put the link in as https for the referenced thread, it will work if you change it to http.
You get an invalid link error.
Both chrome and firefox do this

Working on a fix. In the meantime, I added clarifying verbiage to the page to call out the HTTP vs HTTPS requirement.

Firefox is the only workaround for using SSL in Windows XP. Due to the age of the operating system, the type of SSL certificate we use is not supported. Firefox implements their own handling of the cert, that is why it remains working.

That, or upgrade to an operating system developed in the last 10 years. Windows 10 is free for licensed users of XP, there are few to no valid reasons not to upgrade.

I doubt that someone still running XP has a computer that is capable of running Windows 10. They would likely need to buy a new computer.

I doubt that someone still running XP has a computer that is capable of running Windows 10. They would likely need to buy a new computer.

Windows 10 has nearly the same requirements as Windows XP - 1GHZ and 1GB of ram. Regardless, I was incorrect in my previous statement - Windows XP isn't eligible for the free upgrade.

For users with Windows XP - Firefox, or using non-SSL are the available options. I changed the default link in the emails to HTTP instead of HTTPS, but I'm undecided if I'll keep it that way... I'd think I'd rather point those that aren't knowledgeable enough to manually switch over to the more secure method rather than cater to a very, very small (3.8% currently using XP) portion of our user-base.

Windows 10 has nearly the same requirements as Windows XP - 1GHZ and 1GB of ram. Regardless, I was incorrect in my previous statement - Windows XP isn't eligible for the free upgrade.

For users with Windows XP - Firefox, or using non-SSL are the available options. I changed the default link in the emails to HTTP instead of HTTPS, but I'm undecided if I'll keep it that way... I'd think I'd rather point those that aren't knowledgeable enough to manually switch over to the more secure method rather than cater to a very, very small (3.8% currently using XP) portion of our user-base.

I'm just being pedantic here, but Windows XP system requirements were a Pentium (or compatible) 233MHz CPU with 64MB of RAM and a 1.5GB hard drive. That's a Pentium from 14 years ago.

Windows 10 system requirements call for a 1GHz CPU, 1GB of RAM (32bit, 2GB 64bit), and 16GB (32bit, 20GB 64bit) of hard drive space.

I don't know when the last time was where you could buy a new computer with Windows XP, but to suggest that the typical computer still running Windows XP will be able to run Windows 10 is laughable.

MAYBE it could run it, but it will run so poorly as to be unusable.

Some of us run XP because we don't have a choice. Please support it as long as you can.

I'm just being pedantic here, but Windows XP system requirements were a Pentium (or compatible) 233MHz CPU with 64MB of RAM and a 1.5GB hard drive. That's a Pentium from 14 years ago.

Windows 10 system requirements call for a 1GHz CPU, 1GB of RAM (32bit, 2GB 64bit), and 16GB (32bit, 20GB 64bit) of hard drive space.

I don't know when the last time was where you could buy a new computer with Windows XP, but to suggest that the typical computer still running Windows XP will be able to run Windows 10 is laughable.

MAYBE it could run it, but it will run so poorly as to be unusable.

both of these. i have an old laptop that runs xp32 just barely. i had to stock it up with additional memory because XP with all updates that came out and all the new-ish software has much higher requirements than 9 years ago when my laptop was manufactured. not to mention i have all my passwords, setting, documents, links etc 9 years worth saved on this computer it's not an easy transition as some of you might make it sound. what's no big deal to an IT guy could be a totally different ball-game for non-IT guy. so yes, please support XP for as long as you can. i'm gonna run it for as long as XP allows me to log in or until my laptop kicks the bucket.

both of these. i have an old laptop that runs xp32 just barely. i had to stock it up with additional memory because XP with all updates that came out and all the new-ish software has much higher requirements than 9 years ago when my laptop was manufactured. not to mention i have all my passwords, setting, documents, links etc 9 years worth saved on this computer it's not an easy transition as some of you might make it sound. what's no big deal to an IT guy could be a totally different ball-game for non-IT guy. so yes, please support XP for as long as you can. i'm gonna run it for as long as XP allows me to log in or until my laptop kicks the bucket.

I will continue to support XP as much as possible. The current implementation of SSL, however, will not function outside of Firefox.

Maybe this will help someone...

Using XP and Chrome, I cannot log in at the top of the page. The username and password fields don't allow me to type into them, so I just leave those fields blank and click the "Log in" button. That brings me to another log-in page that allows me to complete the log-in process.

I don't know if there's an easier way, but this continues to work for me so far. A lot of the posting functions are not available to me, though.

Back
Top Bottom