HS-6 vs. Titegroup for 9mm Luger

ttk9801

NES Member
I bought a pound of HS-6 for $25 and a pound of Titegroup for $18.5. The min reload data for 9mm is around 6.6gr for HS-6 and 3.9gr for Titegroup.

So titegroup is 16% less expensive per pound and 40% less per charge, resulting in a 50% saving in powder cost.

Is titegroup a bad powder or is it a good deal (for 9mm)?

Thanks....

Titegroup and hs6 are at different ends of the burn rate charts. Titegroup is a great fast powder for minor pf action pistol 9mm loads. HS6 is a slow powder that people use for major pf loads that produces gas to work a comp. One isn't better than the other. Just different properties for different purposes.

Titegroup and hs6 are at different ends of the burn rate charts. Titegroup is a great fast powder for minor pf action pistol 9mm loads. HS6 is a slow powder that people use for major pf loads that produces gas to work a comp. One isn't better than the other. Just different properties for different purposes.

+1
Also, I wouldn't use titegroup with lead as it will be all smoke and I wouldn't use HS6 for minor, way to much gas

I am a fan of HS6 but I shoot it in .40 S&W. I do find it is a good bit cleaner than some of the others and does not smoke a whole lot. I don't push my loads very hard and since it is slow, it is pretty forgiving of my crappy powder drop. I got a bunch of it and like it.

+1
Also, I wouldn't use titegroup with lead as it will be all smoke and I wouldn't use HS6 for minor, way to much gas

I have used quite a bit of TG with lead in .40 (155gr SWC at about 1025) with no problems and no smoke. Perhaps the smoke is caused by the lube? At this point I became a big TG fan. It is cheaper than the competition and you use less of it. This powder worked well in my S&W 6906, M&P 9mm, and M&P 9mm Pro.

Then I tried some TG 9mm loads in my SIG P 226 SS 9mm. Nothing but trouble. All of the cases were hitting the edge of the ejection port causing more than a few FTEs. The cases that did successfully eject were dinged so bad that they couldn't be reloaded. Changes in powder load, bullet weight, and recoil spring weight had no effect. This powder just would not work in the SIG. A change to WW 231 immediately solved the problem. I just can't figure out what the problem is.

Since I'm not shooting much .40, but a lot of 9mm, I just loaded a couple of hundred rounds for my CZ. I have to do something to use up all the TG I bought. Wish me luck.

I mourned the discontinuation of WW540 back when I shot 38 super, only to learn a couple of years later that HS6 is the same powder (Hodgdon, and formerly Winchester, OEM it from St Marks Powder). WW571 and HS7 are also the same, as are WW296 and Hodgdon H110.

I've used a lot of TG over the years at the recommendation of a big name pro USPSA guy. Great for USPSA major power factor 40 SW loads. I shot a lot of lead at one time, and it is smokey, but all lead bullets are in my experience (although I've heard Ibeji bullets are a product improvement). I stopped shooting lead some years ago so that's a non issue for me. TG works ok in minor 9mm. My cases come out a little 'sootie' but not dinged and they function just fine in my SV or a plain jane non-exploding G26 or 17. VV N350 is better but a lot more expensive. TG is great for 45acp. WST is softer but TG is far less temperature sensitive. TG does it all for a great price. It is a very good all around semi-auto powder for 9, 40, and 45.

Sooty cases are a sign of very low pressure. The case is not expanding enough to seal the chamber so powder gas and soot are blowing back between the case and chamber wall. No big deal, but this soot might be an indication of a load that will not make minor, which could be a big deal.

HS-6 has become one of my favorite powders for .40 and .357 Sig. Mainly because it's a smooth and clean powder with little or no smoking (I've only used jacketed bullets to this point). Interestingly, I just loaded a bunch of 9mm last night and have not yet shot them. Personally, I prefer the performance of HS-6 a great deal more than that of Titegroup even though it requires more powder usage.

Titegroup with lead tends to be smokey. I also found it to have a bit more muzzle flip then other powders (Trailboss for lead, Win 231 for 9mm plated/jacketed).

Sooty cases are a sign of very low pressure. The case is not expanding enough to seal the chamber so powder gas and soot are blowing back between the case and chamber wall. No big deal, but this soot might be an indication of a load that will not make minor, which could be a big deal.

4.3 grains TG, 124 grain MG jhp, WSP primer, 1.150" oal; 1064 fps, 132 PF, Schuemann 5" barrel

Back
Top Bottom