• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

HRO San Diego Closing

Yeah, it sucks to lose brick and mortar stores, especially for a niche market. Hopefully they reopen in a friendly state.

Sad...I worked for HRO in Salem, NH (originally EGE when I first started working there) in the 90's for 8 years and Bob Ferraro (SK) ran a good company and a pretty tight ship. The manager I worked for was an egotistical ass but that's neither here nor there. I remember going to HRO San Diego right after it opened in the late 70's as it was not too far from NAS Miramar where I was stationed. I think I bought an ARRL Handbook. I was pretty surprised by the prices of the radios though...I was used to surplus radio prices.

I know Bob Ferraro tried to buy the San Diego location many times but the owners wouldn't sell. The location in Salem is owned by HRO (the whole building) because the previous owner wouldn't let them put a tower up out back so Bob kept throwing money at them until they acquiesced and sold him the building. The tower was up the next weekend.

Last edited:
Yeah, it sucks to lose brick and mortar stores, especially for a niche market. Hopefully they reopen in a friendly state.
I'm really surprised their main offices are still in California (Burlingame, near SanFran). The Ferraro family that owns HRO is a very conservative family, politically and otherwise.

Last edited:
I'm really surprised their main offices are still in California (Burlingame, near SanFran). The Ferraro family that owns HRO is a very conservative family, politically and otherwise.
They sound it in that announcement. "Liberal retards have made this state unfriendly to business".

Probably because the density of operators in 6 land is still pretty huge. I used to stop by the Sunnyvale location once a year or so. It helps that there's a great BBQ joint not far away. 🤣

I haven't been to an HRO yet. Or any ham store. I should put that on the list this summer. NH is the closest, and it's not that close. 2.5-3 hours depending on the route. And I'd need something to buy. [wink]

I haven't been to an HRO yet. Or any ham store. I should put that on the list this summer. NH is the closest, and it's not that close. 2.5-3 hours depending on the route. And I'd need something to buy. [wink]
"Something to buy"... not a problem, kinda like walking into a gun store with a wallet but no plan 🤣

So, you are telling us that you have led a very sheltered life up to now. I'm looking forward to my March vacation with the in-laws in Ohio specifically so I can visit R&L in Hamilton, Ohio.

Back
Top Bottom