• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

HR 8 Universal Background Check Bill will be on House floor Tuesday

Buckle your seatbelts folks, 2019 is going to be a tough year. House Democrats will be introducing a bill next week that would require universal background checks for gun purchases. It will call for federal background checks to be required on all gun sales, including private transactions. It will however exclude transfers between family members and temporary use of a gun for hunting purposes.

Give an inch, they will take a mile. And with Rubio bringing a National Red Flag Bill to the table, I will not be holding my breath for stuff to be squashed in the Senate. Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go throw up...

You would think that we'd be able to laugh this off, seeing as we still have GOP control of the Senate and the White House... But we have RINOs in the Senate, a POTUS that will sell us out on gun rights, and a lobbying group that supports gun control while pretending to be pro-2A. This is shaping up to be worse than what we had under Obama.

They always start out with Universal Background Checks, claiming up to 97% polled favor such a law, then add Poison Pill amendments at the last minute (10-day waiting periods, “high-capacity” magazine bans, “assault weapons” bans, etc.). When voted down, the liberal/left media then can say that Trump, GOP, Conservatives and NRA are defying the will of the people. Because they know that UBCs would yield no measurable reduction in crime.

How does a Felon pass a Universal Background Check? By possessing a gun and saying they passed the UBC for a private transaction - nope no receipt for the sale and cannot recollect where/when/from whom it was obtained. As NICS records are destroyed, the burden of proof is on Gov’t to prove the sale was not legal, and the Felon can say that passing a UBC led them to believe they were not prohibited. Unless there is a permanent database of guns/owners undergoing a UBC. And what use is that if current gun/owners are not in the database? Hence, Universal Gun/Owner Registration.

That’s the real goal. A flying leap down the slippery slope.

You would think that we'd be able to laugh this off, seeing as we still have GOP control of the Senate and the White House... But we have RINOs in the Senate, a POTUS that will sell us out on gun rights, and a lobbying group that supports gun control while pretending to be pro-2A. This is shaping up to be worse than what we had under Obama.

You are correct about RINOs in the senate, like our ex-gov in Utah. To sell us out on gun rights, will put his political future in jeopardy (just like the un-electable path Chris Christy took). He would do so at his own risk...and he knows this.

All that being said if I had to choose between a built southern border wall or a one term Trump presidency (as opposed to a reelection), I would choose built wall.

I will not support him if he pulls the gun control rabbit out of his hat.

Trump will trade the wall for this.

This.

His pigheaded insistence on this wall has emboldened Democrats, who know they can give him a little at a time on the wall while swapping that for his support of their priorities. Especially 2A, where he’s always been unreliable.

He’s nowhere near as smart as he thinks.

Too many purple-stated D's are loathe to sign on IF it looks like it will pass. You'll see a lot of Susan Collins type moments. "Sure, sure I'll support it. . . wait, it's going to pass? NFW!"

Keep up the fight. Keep supporting our gun organizations. But we have an AMAZING upper hand right now. Calls for gun control after a national tragedy are making less and less sense to more and more Americans that recall things like Oklahoma City.

This.

His pigheaded insistence on this wall has emboldened Democrats, who know they can give him a little at a time on the wall while swapping that for his support of their priorities. Especially 2A, where he’s always been unreliable.

He’s nowhere near as smart as he thinks.

You're selling him pretty short as a negotiator. If anything he's more likely to yield on the wall, i.e. back off his initial aggressiveness, as he always does. I hope he doesn't.

Buckle your seatbelts folks, 2019 is going to be a tough year. House Democrats will be introducing a bill next week that would require universal background checks for gun purchases. It will call for federal background checks to be required on all gun sales, including private transactions. It will however exclude transfers between family members and temporary use of a gun for hunting purposes.

Give an inch, they will take a mile. And with Rubio bringing a National Red Flag Bill to the table, I will not be holding my breath for stuff to be squashed in the Senate. Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go throw up...

So new round of mass shootings when?

Trump will trade the wall for this.

Given the whole bump stock bs, sure, but the moonbats are not going to let him off that cheap.

IMO the ubc thing is doa, but this erpo bullshit rubio is turd polishing... that bullshit could become the next Lautenberg albatross if it was passed and scotus didn't destroy it.

You're selling him pretty short as a negotiator. If anything he's more likely to yield on the wall, i.e. back off his initial aggressiveness, as he always does. I hope he doesn't.

Selling him short? I wish.

I just think he’s kinda dumb. I hope not.

Selling him short? I wish.

I just think he’s kinda dumb. I hope not.

What if he’s going to use the shutdown to justify deploying the military to the border to hold things down and maybe build a wall? He’s got that Trump card, and a prime time national address lined up tonight.

Is the border patrol still operating at 100% through the shutdown? This could play perfectly for him. Illegal immigration is a safe bet, poll-wise, so why not slap his dick on the table and get his way? What’s the risk, that 3/4 of the country thinks you’re a national hero, whether they’ll admit it or not?

Last edited:
Textual analysis of HR8, bill to "To require a background check for every firearm sale"

Textual analysis of HR8, bill to "To require a background check for every firearm sale"

“HR8 requires that loans, gifts, and sales of firearms be processed by a gun store. The same fees, paperwork, and permanent record-keeping apply as to buying a new gun from the store. If you loan a gun to a friend without going to the gun store, the penalty is the same as for knowingly selling a gun to a convicted violent felon. Likewise, when the friend returns the gun, another trip to the gun store is necessary, upon pain of felony.

A clever trick in HR8 effectively bans handguns for persons 18-20.”

How does a Felon pass a Universal Background Check? By possessing a gun and saying they passed the UBC for a private transaction - nope no receipt for the sale and cannot recollect where/when/from whom it was obtained. As NICS records are destroyed, the burden of proof is on Gov’t to prove the sale was not legal, and the Felon can say that passing a UBC led them to believe they were not prohibited. Unless there is a permanent database of guns/owners undergoing a UBC. And what use is that if current gun/owners are not in the database? Hence, Universal Gun/Owner Registration. That’s the real goal. A flying leap down the slippery slope.
That's not how this works, that's not how any of this works.

Felon in possession charges have no exception for "reasonable belief"; the State must prove only that 1) a person, 2) who has been convicted of a felony, 3) possessed a firearm, 4) voluntarily (e.g. it wasn't hidden in his house by agents of the state, or thrown at him by an ATF agent and he caught it to avoid getting hit in the head).

Given the whole bump stock bs, sure, but the moonbats are not going to let him off that cheap. IMO the ubc thing is doa, but this erpo bullshit rubio is turd polishing... that bullshit could become the next Lautenberg albatross if it was passed and scotus didn't destroy it.
Same at the state level -- "red flag" (ERPO) is easy to pass as a "feel good measure", and some states allow pretty much anybody to file an ERPO petition without any real protection against maliciously fraudulent petitioning.

Want your bosses job? File an ERPO, maybe he won't survive the encounter.

Back
Top Bottom