• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

how you solve nagging anti gun parent problem

I'll be getting married in 2 months my fiances parents hate the fact that she has guns and shoots with me now. Last valentines day she received an sr22, and for Christmas recieved a custom 10/22. While visiting her family over the holidays. Her dad expressed his ultimate disgust in the fact that she has guns now like he normally does (he owns several bird guns) so how did I decide to tactfully approach the situation? For new years she received a shield 9mm, gift certificate to a safety class, an alien gear holster and a check to the sheriff to cover application fee. I haven't heard from them since.

Fiance sounds like she's 100% on board with the guns so who cares what her parents think? Buy her an AR for Valentine's day!

Because he is a sexist, hypocrite douchebag FUDD.

You don't just marry the girl, you also marry the family. A friend explained this to me a ways back when I first started dating my now wife. Glad I paid attention because I was able to pick up on all the warning signs of potential issues and work to either fix them or move on. Since then got my FIL into shooting, and my BIK wants in now too. Were there signs of him being this way before now? Sometimes we miss the obvious, unfortunately.

Get the fiancee to a range, snap some pic's for the wedding invites. Say her with an AR and drum mag.

I haven't heard from them since.[/QUOTE said:
Congratulations. Problem solved.

Obviously your father inlaw has issues. I would simply ask him why he wouldnt want his daughter safe and protected as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations. Problem solved.

Obviously your father inlaw has issues. I would simply ask him why he wouldnt want his daughter safe and protected as much as possible.

Exactly! The less I hear from my in-laws the better. You've effectively eliminated them from your lives without having to tell them to "F" off. Good job!

The only way he knows any of this is either you or her tells him.
Don't engage him on the subject.
Unless he's poking around in your safe it should be a non issue.
Don't bring it up ,and refuse to get sucked into a conversation initiated by him.

If you really want to have a future with this woman, they will be your in-laws for a long time.

My advice? Try to get along with them. Especially if she wants to keep family ties close. Don't let them get down on you about what the two of you like, but don't throw it in their faces either. You will have a better chance for a long and happy marriage if you can try to get along with them.

Let him know you understand his viewpoint and treat him with respect. If anybody is going to be difficult let it be him. Avoid the subject if you have to but make sure while you are respectful you don't cave or give into his intimidation. This may just be his attempt to be the dominate male in her life, he may feel threatened by you and feel like he is "loosing" his little girl. So be respectful and be firm, over time he should come to respect and appreciate you as being part of the family.

-Pastor Grant

If it was that easy I would have succeeded when I tried that. He didn't like the 20 round saga 12 I brought to Nevada. Or the 2 Ar15s, the 338 wasn't too appalling until I shot 5 lbs of tannerite. My fiance doesn't like very loud guns so it was a nice excuse for 3 suppressors.

If it was that easy I would have succeeded when I tried that. He didn't like the 20 round saga 12 I brought to Nevada. Or the 2 Ar15s, the 338 wasn't too appalling until I shot 5 lbs of tannerite. My fiance doesn't like very loud guns so it was a nice excuse for 3 suppressors.

Damn, I've never actually met a FUDD.

I just thought they saw no NEED for other guns but I didn't know they would have a genuine hate for non hunting guns. This makes me wonder if he really knows anything about guns. Does he really see one inanimate object as more or less dangerous than the other? Does he violate the safety rules with his benign bird guns?

IMO if you know well enough to keep the booger finger off the bang switch and not point it at people, your fears of one gun over the other would be even more irrational. Maybe the self defense guns forces him to reckon with the fact that bad people exist out there, whereas his hunting guns remind him of good times. In any case, he needs to get over it. Ask him if he would call his daughter bloodthirsty for taking martial arts or carrying some pepper spray. It's no different than carrying in principle... Just advantageous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn, I've never actually met a FUDD. I just thought they saw no NEED for other guns but I didn't know they would have a genuine hate for non hunting guns. This makes me wonder if he really knows anything about guns. Does he really see one inanimate object as more or less dangerous than the other? Does he violate the safety rules with his benign bird guns? IMO if you know well enough to keep the booger finger off the bang switch and not point it at people, your fears of one gun over the other would be even more irrational. Maybe the self defense guns forces him to reckon with the fact that bad people exist out there, whereas his hunting guns remind him of good times. In any case, he needs to get over it. Ask him if he would call his daughter bloodthirsty for taking martial arts or carrying some pepper spray. It's no different than carrying in principle... Just advantageous. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUDDs understand America, you understand Amerika, after grappling with a concise definition or an explanation that's about the only way I can describe it. If you were white and essentially were born before Nov 22, 1963 you lived in America which was a totally different world. Even if this guy is younger than that depending on where you grew up molded your world view. Shooting was a sporting activity. Only the police who were respected, the military and bad guys used guns other than for sporting reasons. We were a lot homogenous nation then, racially, culturally, and religiously, if you were catholic or Jewish you were looked upon the same way that some of the more virulent haters look at "Muzzies" today. You don't get FUDDs, FUDDs don't get you and the reason is that you are from two different countries basically.

Maybe the OP is pushing to hard on the gun thing too. Why pour gasoline on the fire ? You gotta deal with these people for the rest of your life, agree to disagree, don't flaunt the gun thing, change the subject and move on. Nothing irritates the old bull more than the young bull who takes away his little girl and who probably strikes a sensitive chord because he knows how you feel about guns. Admit it, you kind of goad the old boy, don't you? I'm sure your fiancé likes being put in the middle, despite what she says and the tension never goes away. Remember that tension because it will be with you every major holiday, every family gathering for decades. This is the rest of your life, and it is already bothering you or you wouldn't be sharing it with potentially 16000 of your BFF Internet friends, now would you?

bird gun? I remember Rosenthal at the hearings referring to his "duck weapon" when he was proving his "gun cred" with the aging FUDD in Boston....are you marrying Boston royalty? If so, can you invite us and seat us with Dad?

Tell him you will only let her handle the love gun from now on and watch stroke ensue.

Are you sure that it's the guns that are the problem and not the fact that you get balls deep in his princess?

seriously though, My inlaws are about as liberal as they come (my MIL sends weekly money to support Hiawatha). eventually their love for their daughter will surpass their dislike for guns (as long as you're not flaunting them in their face). No grandparent I know will not see their grandchildren because their parents have different beliefs in the 2nd Amendment

Let him know you understand his viewpoint and treat him with respect. If anybody is going to be difficult let it be him. Avoid the subject if you have to but make sure while you are respectful you don't cave or give into his intimidation. This may just be his attempt to be the dominate male in her life, he may feel threatened by you and feel like he is "loosing" his little girl. So be respectful and be firm, over time he should come to respect and appreciate you as being part of the family.

-Pastor Grant

Best advise. lock thread and be done with.

Back
Top Bottom