How would you respond to this scenario?

Cross-X

Shooting at the big range in heaven
Dealer
NES Member
Let's say you are at a commercial range one day, somewhere like American Firearms School, the Boston Gun Range, or something similar.

There are a several guys on the pistol range who are also there to shoot. Their safe gun handling is abysmal. Before you can say anything to them, one guy points his gun in your direction and pulls the trigger. You are hit. He immediately turns white as a sheet.

You have a loaded, holstered firearm. What do you do?

I guess where are you hit?

I think that I would take that as aggression and shoot back in self defense...but again, it would depend on where you were hit I would think.

I mean, if the guy hits you in the arm, and then freaks out and is really apologetic...I guess that I wouldn't shoot back because you would most likely be able to still assess the situitaion and know that it was an accident.

Then I would call you and sue the bastard for everything he has.

But if he seemed like he knew that it wasn't an acccident and he didn't seem like he cared and still had his sights trained on you. I would shoot back because now he might be thinking it would be better if he just finished you off.

It's hard to know what you do without having more facts.

Post-Scenario Situation A: The shooter immediately puts down the gun, runs over and says he's sorry. I say "You shot me, you dumbass! Call an ambulance!"

Post-Scenario Situation B: The shooter still has me in his sights and shows no remorse or shock in what he's done. He seems prepared for a follow-up shot in my direction. I move and immediately return fire.

Either way, I could care less where I'm hit. If I'm hit in the arm, he's either a dumbass who can't shoot straight, or a nutcase who can't shoot straight. My concern is his intent (or lack thereof) when the gun was fired.

Unfortunately, I only have a few seconds to make that determination.

If it was, in fact, Situation B where the guy just snapped and went postal, my major concern would be the other folks on the range being in the line of fire or directly behind the shooter.

I think it's easy for some to say, "I would shoot back" but I think that I would be in shock, I would probably panic and would need a few to get my shit together. If this was by accident, I am sure the shooter and all others would put their firearms down immediately. I would hope for a speed recovery, and do my American right. Sue the shit out of everybody I could. Then I would buy the range back for pennies on the dollar and reopen a new range that practiced safe gun shooting.

I don't konw...I think that it might happen so fast that USMA-82 might be right in the you would say, "You shot me, you dumbass! Call an ambulance!" no matter what. Almost like when you cut yourself pretty bad, you know that you did it, but it doesn't sink in right away.

Then you move into you what do I do now, state of mind.

The scenario does make me think, because so much of self defense training focuses on how to immediately return fire towards the aggressor. I really appreciate the IDPA match stages where we have to make a quick assessment before deciding to draw or not.

That being said, I can't imagine ever putting up my hand and saying, "hang on, I need a minute here..." I think my response would be immediate, and more likely to involve a shot in self defense. If I shoot an innocent who made a mistake - I'm screwed. The legal battle would be a bitch. If I shoot an intentional aggressor - I'm still screwed... but I'm alive to tell about it.

I'll offer a defense based on my motorcycle riding habits: Don't let it happen.

At ALL times be aware of the guy next to you, and the guy next to him. If someone is showing anything less than full attention to the four rules, report them to the range officer IMMEDIATELY.

If they persist, LEAVE.

Don't put yourself in a situation where you could get shot.

Now, that said, I have NO idea how I would handle this situation. I'd like to think I could make that split second judgement between "honest dumbass mistake" and "homicidal lunatic", but when the rubber hits the road, well...

Bleeding profusely with sharp pains will also cloud one's judgement.

I guess it would also depend what I was shot with and where. A .22LR in the hand is a much different animal than a .357 Magnum round to the chest... In the former, I'd be more inclined to "dumbass mistake". In the later, I'd probably go into shock...

Cross-X said:
Let's say you are at a commercial range one day, somewhere like American Firearms School, the Boston Gun Range, or something similar.

There are a several guys on the pistol range who are also there to shoot. Their safe gun handling is abysmal. Before you can say anything to them, one guy points his gun in your direction and pulls the trigger. You are hit. He immediately turns white as a sheet.

You have a loaded, holstered firearm. What do you do?

Bleed?

If I were thinking, I'd probably judge it a ND, based on the shooter's reaction. OTOH, one's reactions in this sort of situation are rarely the result of rational evaluation and thought. The most likely response for anybody, no matter what they'd say or like to believe, is to respond exactly as you've trained in the past. For most people, that would mean simply going into shock and waiting for somebody else to do something. For others it would mean returning fire. For very few would it be something in between.

Ken

First, if I see one stupid act at an indoor range, I am headed for the door immediately and I am going to tell whoever is behind the counter what the F--- is going on, and then expect the range officer to take the appropriate action.

As an aside, when I lived in Colorado Springs in the early and mid 90's, there was a fairly decent indoor commerical range there. One day a guy from Denver walked in, rented a pistol, bought some ammo and acknowledged the safety briefing.

He then went on the firing line and blew his brains out.

Mark

1) I don't use public ranges for a reason.

2) If it happens on a private range, I'd be in their face about it ASAP. Only had to do it once on the line. Some nimrod was shooting his high cap SKS from the hip as fast as he could pull the trigger. The idea of 'being nice' in such situations comes to mind. It was this and a few other incidents that prompted the club to put keycard access on the outdoor ranges.

3) IF I wasn't quick enough to stop the problem and the above occured, it would depend on the severity and the reaction of the idiot. I severely doubt I'd return fire on the range in such a situation. Mainly because it's likely not to be a safe shot. (Backstop, bystanders, etc.) Besides, with what I'm shooting lately even a hit on target would likely not stop the round. (^_^)

In any case, once the situation was under control, I, or my estate, would be punching up the #1 entry in my cellphone (Arbabi, Darius) and letting him deal with the details of the aftermath.

My only concern on the range is safety. Once that is assured, the legal and other details are what we pay lawyers for.

Lets face it, there are very strict rules to legal self-defense. I'm not willing to risk it all on the accidental discharge of some moron by shooting back.

Different story entirely if some nutcase loads up and deliberately turns and starts firing at other shooters. But then again, how often do you find criminals commiting such crimes where everyone else is armed too?

Back
Top Bottom