• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How would you refinish a stainless steel revolver?

I picked up a S&W model 63 and would like to have refinished. Mostly superficial scratches. Previous owner etched his initials on the side plate. Any suggestions

If I had a grinder that I could put a buffing wheel on and use some compound/polish I'd try that.

As for removing the damage from the side plate, depending on how deep it was I would use a very fine wet sandpaper and work to 2000 grit then polish it.

The problem is, that IIRC that is a satin finish and anything you do is going to make it more like the finish of say a model 60

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtBmVR9FiO4

This typically is expensive and or time consuming with very unfavorable results. As a service to the group I will be happy to dispose of the firearm for you and you can search for one in better condition

I picked up a S&W model 63 and would like to have refinished. Mostly superficial scratches. Previous owner etched his initials on the side plate. Any suggestions

Etched with an engraving tool or a screwdriver tip ?

If the scoring is too deep for some paper and a Scotchbrite pad , see if Pullman can do some micro welding on it.

Everytime I sent my stainless Dan Wesson revolvers for custom work back to DW, their smith would use scotch brite pads (gray color or any fine pads) along with a “hairy wheel” to remove scratches and give the gun a new brushed stainless look

Do you know how to polish? If this is your first time I wouldn't risk it. To get a really clean finish you'll have to disassemble , revolvers are tricky, kinda like watches, you need very exact fit screwdrivers and some other tools. I would keep it just like that and put In a cheapo holster and stash somewhere.

you could replace the side plate, I just looked on ebay, there's a few of them for around $30

I think they typically require some level of hand fitting, and if it was a take off you might not ever get it to fit. I had a Colt DS that the previous owner complete removed the bluing from the side plate (only). Ended up sending the whole gun out to be refinished.

Do you know how to polish? If this is your first time I wouldn't risk it. To get a really clean finish you'll have to disassemble , revolvers are tricky, kinda like watches, you need very exact fit screwdrivers and some other tools. I would keep it just like that and put In a cheapo holster and stash somewhere.
If you think a revolver is kind of tricky like a watch, you are sadly mistaken. Any moron can disassemble a revolver…. It’s not rocket science. Even if you get stuck, youtube will offer tons of assembly videos to guide you.

a little late i am, but...i had 2 revolvers bead blasted by a local smith. one was new, the only one east of the mississippi and i lusted for it. when i got the thing, it looked like shit. sent it off and it came back looking like how it should have left the factory. the 2nd one was another revolver i owned for 30 years, it was used when i bought it. it looked f***ing tired, beat, scratched up. another trip to the bead blaster...same smith. came back looking new also. it's been several years and i haven't the heart to turn the cylinder and put a drag line on it. it's in semi retirement. someday i'll shoot it. bead blasted locally is a cheaper alternative than sending it out to a boutique smith/shop for a top dollar spa treatment.

I've done some amatuer gunsmithing, and I can recommend a dremel tool and the medium grit grinding wheel will remove those scratches easy peasy.

You can see some of my work if you google "Bubba Gunsmith" (I use a fake name in the business)

Back
Top Bottom