"How would you react in a shooting" segment on NPR this morning

I heard the whole segment. All in all it was kind of mixed. It started out a bit sensationalist with the figures about the increase in mass shootings and attempted mass shootings. After that, I felt the guests struck a somewhat reasonable tone. They were basically saying that everyone should devote a little bit of time to thinking about how they will react in an active shooter scenario, but they stopped short of saying that people should obsess over it or let it rule their lives.

I liked this line in particular:
"I'm not asking you to be a cop," Nichols adds. "I'm asking you to be prepared. ... Have a role in your own survival."

The way this has all been borne out in the media, the shooters are getting more and more bold and determined to wreak havoc and end as many lives before they do themselves in.

That being said, hiding in a broom closet waiting to die isn't going to be an option for me. If Im unarmed (by policy), I'm going to do whatever I can to either make my way out or if need be, fight back. If armed, same thing applies, only I will fire back at the first opportunity.

nd what would have happened if the couple had pulled that toy gun on a cop? Innocent bystanders would have been shot!

They were basically saying that everyone should devote a little bit of time to thinking about how they will react in an active shooter scenario, but they stopped short of saying that people should obsess over it or let it rule their lives.

I can envision myself being Rambo all day and taking on the world but without practice I am no better then the dumb thugs with their pants around their ankles robbing people to score their next fix.

I can envision myself being Rambo all day and taking on the world but without practice I am no better then the dumb thugs with their pants around their ankles robbing people to score their next fix.

This isn't about being Rambo. The guests' advice is aimed at average Joes/Janes who may not even know basic information like where the nearest emergency exits are. Taking even a brief moment to think about stuff like that can give you a better chance at survival.

If I'm ever in a situation where there is an active shooter and they aren't an immediate threat to me (e.g. they are on the opposite side of the building from where I am), I'm going to be finding an escape route, not charging in to try and be a hero.

Back
Top Bottom