• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How would you home refinish this?

Thanks. I wasn't thinking cold blue as I had been reading that it wasn't a durable finish. From your experience I'll have to rethink that.

It's a decent durable finish I used a heat gun to heat the parts and put the bluing on with steel wool for last 2 of 4 applications so it didn't come out all blotched. It took some practice. The CZ82 is gonna get the cerekote treatment I think though.

I used brownells hot blue system 10 years ago. It was a smaller kit than what they have now.
Came with a rust and blue remover and the salts.
It came out very nice. Did a few shotgun barrels and a H&R 38spl revolver. I didn't polish any of my blueing projects. There where to many rough spots needing some serious time and effort to get perfect.
I don't mind the "rough" surface look.
The hard part was getting the temp to stabilise at 290' and be a rolling boil. All done by mixing the salts right. Although you loose water as you are doing the work.
I used distilled water. I don't know if it made a difference. I worked on stove top.
The shotgun barrels where not fun to do... on the stove top and I should have had a better set up like my park tank set up I had.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom