• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How would you handle this insulting anti-gun comment from a coworker?

These are the people I deal with in an academic setting.

"So what are you doing this weekend?"

"The usual. There's a match on Sunday."

"You're really into guns, huh?"

"Sort of, I'm into competing, practicing a lot to try and improve."

"It's good that you're channeling your energy in a positive way, not going out into the streets and shooting people, ha ha."

"Um, that had never occurred to me."

Ask him if he likes driving. Then comment that he's not into running over kids in crosswalks on their way to school

Ask him if he likes cutting things like steak. then comment on his lack of stabbing people?

Ask him if he likes baseball. Them comment on his lack of bashing people's skulls in with a baseball bat

Ask him if he's really stupid enough to think his comment was a joke

Lol. I'd likely just stop talking to them. I doubt you'd ever be able to talk any sense into them.

"It's good that you're channeling your energy in a positive way, not going out into the streets and shooting people, ha ha."

This sounds like the kind of thing my college roommates used to say, just to get a rise out of me. (And since I was even more high-strung then than I am now, it usually worked.)

Some of the dumbest people I've met have higher degrees.

It really isn't that they're dumb per se, it's the everyday simple stuff that you just use common sense, it seems to trip them up......

Floor them, ask them to come shooting with you, promise not to shoot them accidently or that you won't go "Dick Cheney" on them

There is only one response to this, and that is a hard block.

...unless she's hot, or has big ta-tas, obviously.

*intentional sexism for humor should be obvious; if you don't get it, lighten up, Francis.

The problem is, if you make any kind of humorous response, she will consider it a threat and you will be screwed. Best just to ignore her.

She is ignorant not stupid like most well educated people who have never touched a gun and wouldn't know which end to hold. You can take the time to educate her and even offer to take her to the range or just ignore her.

I know a lot of people with PHDs. A large number of them, in the academic community especially, are super intelligent while laking common sense. They can split the atom but not be able to see the world at ground level with any degree of logic. Do not grant any special consideration for a person with a PHD until they show you that they are open minded tonideas outside if their own view if the wirld. Some become so knowledgeable in one area that other areas may not fully develop. Singular minded and not well rounded. However it needs to be articulated, I know too many who fall right in step with that assessment.

These are the people I deal with in an academic setting.

"So what are you doing this weekend?"

"The usual. There's a match on Sunday."

"You're really into guns, huh?"

"Sort of, I'm into competing, practicing a lot to try and improve."

"Um, that had never occurred to me."

In acedemia, you should ask him if he has any good looking coeds in class and if he is still trading grades for sex?

PhD stands for "push here dummy"

back to the OP:

take out pen, paper and start writing then ask the person to confirm the spelling of their name... you just made the list bud. lol

See your "push here dummy" for my "piled higher & deeper". [rofl2]

Depends on the day. Today, I'd probably respond something like this...

The news, television shows and media has so many people fooled into believing that firearms are only used irresponsibly and to commit crimes. Do you want to join me, meet some great people, and see how they are used responsibly? You will enjoy yourself and you will learn something.

Well, I've had to deal with this sort of thing when my LTC hit the counter after trying pay for some stuff at a convenient store.

The person behind me saw the LTC and said "What's that, your license to kill?".

I turned calmly and look the nice lady dead in the eye and said "No mam. That there is the undeniable proof that I am not a criminal, and that my daily actions are that of an upstanding citizen. Further more, the FBI, commonwealth of Massachusetts, and the chief of police in my town all signed off on that fact."

Needless to say, I think I may have burst her bubble a tiny bit. Or maybe not. She did look dumbfounded as I was turning back around to pay the clerk...

StevensMarksman

Just shoot and get it over with.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Ask her if she has sex with her girlfriend/boyfriend/husband. if she says, "Yes", say:

"It's good that you're channeling your energy in a positive way, not going out into the streets and turning tricks, ha ha."

It's good that you're channeling your energy in a positive way, not going out into the streets and shooting people, ha ha
Whenever I am confronted with that kind of crap, I put a look on my face that says I'm taking this quite seriously, and ask: why would I do that? It puts them on the defensive, and almost always exposes their true intention.

"It's good that you're channeling your energy in a positive way, not going out into the streets and shooting people, ha ha."...spoken in poor taste, even if only trying to be funny.

I worked with many PHDs, some the top level in their field of research. Extremely intelligent people. In their field. Sometimes a little out of it as well. As was said before, no common sense. I swear some get married so they have someone who can help them tie their shoes. I'd say limit contact with her lol

Back
Top Bottom