• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How will the new SCOTUS case change MA LTC Approva

Preface: This question is asked under 2 expectations. 1. That NewYork looses the SCOTUS case currently pending with SCOTUS As their law being held as unconstitutional. 2. That the opinion issued rules that we can bear arms outside of our home as a constitutional right, and that the ONLY reason needed to obtain a LTC/CHL/CCL, or permit is our right to bear arms outside the home for the purpose of self defense. I fully realize that how SCOTUS writes and issues their opinion on this case can make a huge difference on how the laws are written for the 8 states that are currently ”May Issue”. (NY, NJ, MA, RI, DE, MD, CA, HI, NYC). I do understand each states laws on “May Issue” is written differently then NY’s which is the main one being looked at. However, their is a case pending for Cert with SCOTUS against NJ as well as HI too. I am also not a lawyer, by any means, but I have worked with several 2A lawyers and I work with several state and federal legislatures representatives and senators on pro-gun laws.

Lets look at the various issues with obtaining a MA LTC along with the fact their are different restrictions placed on a MA LTC.

I will start with the restrictions. Currently the choices are: None, Sporting, Target/Hunting, and Employment. Based on the Preface I stated above. I believe that MA will have to either remove those restrictions entirely, or be limited to None, and Employment. There is also a notation on MA’s own website that Non-Resident LTC’s are limited only for the reason of competition. MA I believe, will either have to eliminate having a NON-Resident LTC, or they will have to issue a Non-Resident LTC for the Sam reasons as a resident LTC. Which leads to the discussion, if we have a right to bear arms outside the home, what effect will this have on reciprocity, those states such as MA with no reciprocity, as well as the issue with those states that don’t issue NON-Resident LTC’s?

As far as instruction goes, firearms safety classes, tests, and/or qualification requirements at the range. Based on my preface, or even the “Question” SCOTUS is considering, their opinion won’t have any significant bearing on this issue.

So based ONLY on m preface stated above. Do you see the outcome of the SCOTUS case cause if any other changes in how MA issues Handgun permits?

Last edited:
Well like I said in he other thread as well. When one understands the legal BS of how things work. usually It takes someone to file a lawsuit to get a state to change its laws based on a Supreme Court ruling. There have been times a state legislature has gone in and made changes without a lawsuit, but most of time it does take one. It’s usually not a long drawn out process though. Unless the courts can find a loophole of some sort that they can use to get out of it. They will uphold a Supreme Court ruling.

The appellate courts found that loophole and is one reasons we have been having issues winning cases Lately. Hopefully this opinion will be written better to close some loopholes.

One thing many scholars are hoping that SCOTUS will do in this opinion, is better clarify how the different levels of Scrutiny are to be used, or if strict scrutiny is to be used on all cases, if at all. We shall see! Even if you look at the questions posed in the original petition for cert on the NY case, and the one that the Supreme Court is going to answer, you will see that SCOTUS changed the question!

Not much different in the cases around 18-21yo’s buying handguns And bump stocks. The issue that will be going to the Supreme Court will end up being more about if the issue of Chevron Deferance and how it applies or should apply to the ATF, then, sadly, it will be about the main issue being unconstitutional or not.

I believe SCOTUS will strike down NYCs law but I think thy may leave much of it to the lower courts to flush out and that’s where the problem for MA residents lies. The federal district courts and the 1st circuit court of appeals are both very liberal and anti 2A. Unless SCOTUS stands up for their decision, lower courts like the MA will ignore it and do what they want daring SCOTUS to correct them.

I believe SCOTUS will strike down NYCs law but I think thy may leave much of it to the lower courts to flush out and that’s where the problem for MA residents lies. The federal district courts and the 1st circuit court of appeals are both very liberal and anti 2A. Unless SCOTUS stands up for their decision, lower courts like the MA will ignore it and do what they want daring SCOTUS to correct them.

I believe you are correct on that. I think a lot of people are not so worried about SCOTUS striking down NY’s laws, and are more worried about them writing an otherwise “weak” opinion leaving lots of ways for liberal lower courts to find loopholes.

Several legal scholars believe though that at least justice Kavanaugh will issue an opinion about the use of the various levels of Scrutiny. If the majority makes comment on Scrutiny and how it’s used, it could change some things for sure. But as always the liberal district and appellate courts will do their best at finding loopholes and ways to weaken what it is said, no matter how strong the Opinion might be written.

Thats why I said, with MA law. It might not change much the LTC restrictions very much, it will change the good cause measure To some degree. However, most liberal legislatures will look for other ways to implement something as tough and as limiting. Maybe more training, or tougher training. Who knows what they will grasp at.

I believe you are correct on that. I think a lot of people are not so worried about SCOTUS striking down NY’s laws, and are more worried about them writing an otherwise “weak” opinion leaving lots of ways for liberal lower courts to find loopholes.

Several legal scholars believe though that at least justice Kavanaugh will issue an opinion about the use of the various levels of Scrutiny. If the majority makes comment on Scrutiny and how it’s used, it could change some things for sure. But as always the liberal district and appellate courts will do their best at finding loopholes and ways to weaken what it is said, no matter how strong the Opinion might be written.

Thats why I said, with MA law. It might not change much the LTC restrictions very much, it will change the good cause measure To some degree. However, most liberal legislatures will look for other ways to implement something as tough and as limiting. Maybe more training, or tougher training. Who knows what they will grasp at.

the number 1 thing SCOTUS needs to do is stand up for their decisions and enforce them. Thomas has been complaining for years that lower courts are doing what they want and not abiding by Heller and McDonald. When lower courts thumb their noses at SCOTUS, SCOTUS needs to slap them down. Even if SCOTUS strikes down NYCs law, we know the 9th circuit, 1st and 4th will ignore it. That cannot be allowed to happen

the number 1 thing SCOTUS needs to do is stand up for their decisions and enforce them. Thomas has been complaining for years that lower courts are doing what they want and not abiding by Heller and McDonald. When lower courts thumb their noses at SCOTUS, SCOTUS needs to slap them down. Even if SCOTUS strikes down NYCs law, we know the 9th circuit, 1st and 4th will ignore it. That cannot be allowed to happen
They will try, but they weren’t to successful and stopping the change in laws to allow one to have a gun in the home. They did however try other methods to make it more difficult, one example is Illinois FOID card. Several other states have similar methods and even registration.

I saw one legal article even mentioning a possibility that depending on how SCOTUS writes the opinion on bearing arms outside of the home. It could lead to a wave of lawsuits against states that don’t have any reciprocity or even the capability of offering anon-resident LTC‘s

but like I said before… it’s all speculation until the opinion gets released. Which probably won’t happen until May to July of next year.

What many people don’t understand is that while they don’t take to long to make a decision. Writing the opinion takes along time, because of the research they like and want to do, citing other cases, history etc to back up their opinion.

I've been giving this a lot of thought in the last few months.
I think this is correct in that the court likely will issue a very limited decision. The New York will lose the judgement, but it's the opinion, not the judgement, that sets the stage for what happens next.

I've been thinking about this a lot. I would be very, very surprised to see a 6-3 opinion that clearly describes how the Second Amendment applies outside the home and tells lower court exactly how to evaluated 2A claims. We'll get closer than we are now, but not all the way. But when it comes to Massachusetts and the other 'may issue' states, we'll have to take the ruling and attack each state's statutory scheme individually.

As far as training goes, nothing will change. Challenging a training requirement like the one in Massachusetts is a non-starter unless that requirement imposes and 'undue burden' (stealing from Casey). Similarly, I don't think licensing schemes per se are vulnerable to challenge unless they are clearly deployed in an effort block the exercise of the right. If you look at what restrictions on voting SCOTUS is willing to tolerate, it's hard to see them get worked about licensing unless a licensing authority is openly and deliberately blocking or delaying applicants.

(Queue the 'Knuckle Dragger supports licensing and training' trolls. That's not what I said, I just don't think those things can be successfully challenged).

Thomas, Alito, and probably Gorsuch would like to come down hard and spell it out in great detail. We don't know enough about Kavanaugh and Barrett yet. They're probably in for the judgement, but maybe not for the kind of opinion that Thomas or Alito would like to write. The want to go in the same direction, they're just not in the same kind of hurry. Roberts is probably in the same boat. He'll be in the majority for sure if for no other reason than to control who write the opinion.

I can easily see the possibility for a fractured judgement where you have four justices forming a plurality, two concurring arguing that they'd go further (or not as far depending on how the six breakdown). However, I don't think there are five justices that want to be in the business of doing all the work on the Second Amendment. They want the lower courts to do it. I would not be surprised if they issued a judgement for the petitioners and remanded the case with some broad statement about how the exercise of a fundamental right cannot be dependent upon some subjective, non-statutory judgement about what is or is not a 'proper purpose' or 'good cause'. That adds a few more years while NY and CA2 try to figure out how to confine the right within those corners.

And if that's the case, you might even see Kagan in the majority. This last term has had some interesting lineups. Kagan has sharp elbows and has been beating the stare decisis drum pretty loudly. I would not be shocked if she issued a 'I don't agree with Heller, but it's the law now' kind of concurrence. I actually think she's the smartest one on the court.
You're making the mistake of thinking of SCOTUS as an 'it' when it's really a 'they'. In that respect they're a microcosm of the federal government. People think the government is an 'it' that functions according to a consistent, well-harmonized set of principles and laws. It's not. The government is a collection of departments, bureaus, offices, etc. that are frequently at odds with one another.

Last edited:
TL;DR.

Mass gives not a sh!t, IMO

There are scads and gobs of statutory language in the MGLs that are ignored by PDs state-wide, as there are no penalties for breach.

A few years ago, GOAL found that some localities were charging more than the $100 price. When this was brought up to the Inspector General's office, IIRC they told GOAL to tell the towns not to do it, anymore. And the overcharged got no refunds.

Any Federal-level decisions will be glacially slow in showing up in the DPRM.

I've been giving this a lot of thought in the last few months.

I think this is correct in that the court likely will issue a very limited decision. The New York will lose the judgement, but it's the opinion, not the judgement, that sets the stage for what happens next.

I've been thinking about this a lot. I would be very, very surprised to see a 6-3 opinion that clearly describes how the Second Amendment applies outside the home and tells lower court exactly how to evaluated 2A claims. We'll get closer than we are now, but not all the way. But when it comes to Massachusetts and the other 'may issue' states, we'll have to take the ruling and attack each state's statutory scheme individually.

As far as training goes, nothing will change. Challenging a training requirement like the one in Massachusetts is a non-starter unless that requirement imposes and 'undue burden' (stealing from Casey). Similarly, I don't think licensing schemes per se are vulnerable to challenge unless they are clearly deployed in an effort block the exercise of the right. If you look at what restrictions on voting SCOTUS is willing to tolerate, it's hard to see them get worked about licensing unless a licensing authority is openly and deliberately blocking or delaying applicants.

(Queue the 'Knuckle Dragger supports licensing and training' trolls. That's not what I said, I just don't think those things can be successfully challenged).

Thomas, Alito, and probably Gorsuch would like to come down hard and spell it out in great detail. We don't know enough about Kavanaugh and Barrett yet. They're probably in for the judgement, but maybe not for the kind of opinion that Thomas or Alito would like to write. The want to go in the same direction, they're just not in the same kind of hurry. Roberts is probably in the same boat. He'll be in the majority for sure if for no other reason than to control who write the opinion.

I can easily see the possibility for a fractured judgement where you have four justices forming a plurality, two concurring arguing that they'd go further (or not as far depending on how the six breakdown). However, I don't think there are five justices that want to be in the business of doing all the work on the Second Amendment. They want the lower courts to do it. I would not be surprised if they issued a judgement for the petitioners and remanded the case with some broad statement about how the exercise of a fundamental right cannot be dependent upon some subjective, non-statutory judgement about what is or is not a 'proper purpose' or 'good cause'. That adds a few more years while NY and CA2 try to figure out how to confine the right within those corners.

And if that's the case, you might even see Kagan in the majority. This last term has had some interesting lineups. Kagan has sharp elbows and has been beating the stare decisis drum pretty loudly. I would not be shocked if she issued a 'I don't agree with Heller, but it's the law now' kind of concurrence. I actually think she's the smartest one on the court.

You're making the mistake of thinking of SCOTUS as an 'it' when it's really a 'they'. In that respect they're a microcosm of the federal government. People think the government is an 'it' that functions according to a consistent, well-harmonized set of principles and laws. It's not. The government is a collection of departments, bureaus, offices, etc. that are frequently at odds with one another.

First off, what a well written and educated response! Thank you for taking the time to post it!

I agree with most of what you said. You are correct it’s not the judgment that is as critical as what is said and written in the Opinion. NY will most definitely loose the judgement, or the case wouldn’t have been granted a hearing.

I also agree, they narrowed the question to be answered. So the opinion written, by whoever ends up writing it, will of course be narrow and IMHO will state That Bearing Arms outside of the home as being protected by the 2A. Just like it was stated in the Heller case. However, they will go on more then likely to state that certain limits can apply, and will only state that using subjective means such as “good cause” to limit a persons capability to carry outside the home as unconstitutional. I would be surprised to be honest, if they even delineate the difference between concealed and unconcealed carry of a firearm, or even mention the difference at all. Which of course will leave lower courts to figure it out for themselves. This has happened at least on 4 separate cases at state level. Louisiana, Kentucky, Alabama and if my memory is correct Tennessee. Louisiana since that case has had Permitless open-carry. Crazy since their Gov. Just vetoed a constitutional carry bill.

It is more then obvious where Justice Thomas stands on the issue, considering the numerous dissents he has written on the numerous 2A cases denied cert during his Tenure. Including what he wrote in the NJ dissent of a very similar case as the NY one. Justice Gorsuch joined in the dissent on denial of that NJ case as well. Justice Barret had not yet joined the court yet. So your correct, we don’t have much of clue on how she would have written a dissent on that case, or if she would have even joined Thomas and Gorsuch. One interesting thing though is Justice Barret is a gun owner. So she will at least vote in our favor. It will be interesting to see which Of the two groups you describe she will fall into. (The 4 or the 2).

I like you, also believe that Roberts will fall in line and make it a 6-3 vote simply so he can control who writes the opinion and what the opinion is limited too. I would be extremely surprised Thomas, or Barrett writes the Opinion. IMHO it will probably end up being written by either Justice Alito or Justice Kavanaugh. That’s my guess. I doubt the other 5 would agree to letting Justice Roberts write the Opinion.

Interesting thought you had there about Justice Kagan that I have not considered before. She doesn’t fully agree with Heller. But there are a lot of judges who obviously dont as well as numerous legal scholars. It will be interesting to see if your correct and she follows at least in part some of what Heller says. She might agree that there is a 2A right to bear arms outside the home, but will probably dissent on the degree a government can limit that right through licensing/permitting schemes Issued in the majority opinion.

I also believe Justice Thomas will be one of the two that concurs on parts of the majority opinion, but will issue a dissent on the failure to address other 2A issues, one such as levels of scrutiny, or even on not issuing a stricter majority opinion. Justice Barret though has already been known to issue at least one harsh 2A dissent in a lower court ruling she was a part of. I believe that had to do with non-violent felons having the right to own a gun. I think the specific case dealt with someone convicted of a Tax crime.

Your also right about the “government” influences at that level between the different Branches. We have had conservative control of SCOTUS for quite a long time, and no 2A cases have been heard in 10+ years. Even last June 10 cases were denied cert. There has been some political pulling obviously. What you said about casesprobably being denied for fear of how Justice Roberts would lean has been mentioned by quite a few times by legal scholars, both liberal and conservative.

It is obvious that many are jumping on the bandwagon though. This is the first 2A case that has had so many Amicus Curiae filed in support. 43 so far!

Back
Top Bottom