1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

How well does a Bright Stainless finish stand up?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rockrivr1, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Rockrivr1

Rockrivr1 NES Member

I'm looking at a 1911 that has a Bright Stainless finish and I'm wondering how well it stands up to use as well as cleaning agents? It's one sharp looking gun but I'm wondering how much of a PITA it is to keep it looking like that. Normally I don't care to much if a finish gets scuffed or scratched from normal wear and tear, but this almost looks too good just to allow it to be marred off hand.

2. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

me, if i want a shiny gun i'd take nickle over bright polished stainless, i think it wears better.

3. citoriguy

citoriguy NES Member

If it is going to be a daily, then good luck keeping it spotless. If it’s just an occasional range toy or discussion piece, then just be careful when in use. Also, just use mild cleaning agents.

4. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

IMHO if the top is shiny run the f*** away from it, after the first 5 minutes you won't like the bling, glare, etc.

Years ago I took a P220 stainless and polished the slide. It was the dumbest thing I ever did to a gun. I wasn't particularly attached to that thing
    anyways, so I sold it at a loss.... (I traded it for a cheap AK).

Polished flats is one thing (like the sides of the slide or whatever) but the top part of the gun should never be shiny. That's just terminally bad.

I also agree with greencobra.... Nickel can be pretty killer. I had a P228 that was in nickel and I sold the thing like a retard. Then again it wasn't a high
    polish deal, either. Sig factory nickel had some kind of texture to it that made it come out nice and wear well.

-Mike

Wrench75 likes this.
  5. nstassel

nstassel NES Member

It would be ok for a bbq gun as they call them in Texas but that's about it.

6. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

i bought a smith talo 629 3" a couple of years ago. it had a bright polish. it's just a toy at the range but it was looking tired and scuffed, and it got that way quickly. i had lou bead blast it to a matte finish. i'm much happier with it. i've posted pics of it here several times after he did it.

i disagree with our tacticool friends. not all my handguns are tools, just the ones i use daily for carry and home defense. of course they're gonna get tired looking and i expect that. but the rest of the stuff is range candy. and like my truck, i try to keep it as fresh as possible but at the same time i expect normal wear and tear. but that's me. opinions vary.

citoriguy and drgrant like this.
  7. Stape

Stape

Meh, do whatcha wanna do. I polished my GP100 with mothers and small cotton cleaning patches, just going over and over it until it was a high mirror like polish. As mentioned, I didn't polish the top. Along with some dark walnut grips from hogue, and some Williams sights, its a pretty sharp piece. With regular use it will lose it high luster slowly, but it's brought back to mirror like easily enough. It never looks scuffed or anything, just "less shiny"

8. Bob P

Bob P NES Member

Just know it’s gonna scratch. If that doesn’t bother you go for it.

9. 45collector

45collector NES Member

Bright stainless should hold up better to harsh solvents (like bore cleaner) better than nickel plating. The process involved in nickel plating a gun involves a "base layer" of copper applied to the bare steel. Bore solvents attack copper by nature, and can wreak havoc on a nickel plated gun.

With a bright stainless gun you shouldn't have to worry about any kind of solvents doing any permanent damage, but the metal may become stained if you leave something like bore cleaner on it. If you know how to polish/ buff a bright stainless gun, you can keep it looking pretty indefinitely. Nickel plating, not so much. Eventually you'll wear through the plating into the copper if you try to polish and buff nickel plating too much.

10. new guy

new guy NES Member

Hard chrome is my new favorite treatment, if only for its durability advantages over both stainless and nickel finishes.

andrew1220 likes this.
  11. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Don’t shoot it on a sunny day.

Wrench75 likes this.
  12. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

well, not getting all scientific with this :) but, i had a model 15 in nickle for 30 years. shot, and cleaned the snot out of it with hoppes every time out. maybe nickle processes are different now days...this guns finish looked great when i sold it ~2005. i've seen nickle chip when it gets dinged but never on a gun that was taken care of with normal use.

i could live with hard chrome if i had too. pretty durable.

13. BrianWilson

BrianWilson NES Member

Probably depends on the quality/makeup of the steel alloy.

I have a high polish stainless gun that has been beaten like a rented mule, rode hard and put away wet for quite some time and it's still like a mirror, well, where it isn't scrathed up anyway, especially from the kydex. As John said those scratches could be polished out easily enough, although I do think you will loose some definition around the edges, logo and lettering.

I have a matte hard chrome gun as well that has seen considerable use ( and neglect) and has held up remarkably well. I do think the chrome is harder, much harder than the stainless. The matte finish has the hugely decided advantage of not looking pimp, unlike the polished gun.

Either finish, kydex is definetely not in any way your gun's friend.

45collector and andrew1220 like this.
  14. 45collector

45collector NES Member

Sort of related to this topic, don’t get sunblock on wood grips/stocks either. ;)

15. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

I prefer PVD finished (Physical vapor deposition).

Electroless nickel does not a full pimp look, but is thinner than conventional nickel and lacks a copper undercoat.

16. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

My Python is done in electroless (Coltguard). Has held up fine for over 35 years. Maybe because "Colt". Jack.

17. Rockrivr1

Rockrivr1 NES Member

I was looking at this Pimp gun, but after the comments above I think I'm going to pass. Very sharp looking gun though.

2.jpg

andrew1220 and 67ray like this.
  18. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

Thats a museum piece, not a shooter. Where is it plugged in?

19. jhrosier

jhrosier NES Member

Your gun, your choice. They can look very nice with little work.
    A little Mother's Mag Wheel polish on a soft cloth a couple times a year will keep the mirror finish like new.
    Jack

20. citoriguy

citoriguy NES Member

Wow...that's blingy...

21. andrew1220

andrew1220 NES Member

That's some serious bling - love it.