How to upgrade my 1911...

Hey guys, so I just picked up my first 1911 yesterday and I’m already thinking about what mods I need.

I’ve been reading and watching some online reviews and I’m torn about where to start..

For starters I picked up a SW 1911 TA. Already have a compensator on it right now. I have been told a good place to start was a match barrel, lightweight trigger and a full trigger job?

Any information on what you guys think would be greatly appreciated. I will be mainly using the gun for home defense/recreation on the range but will probably be branching out into competitive shooting down the line. So would like some mods that really up the accuracy and potential of these great pistols!C130E47F-82D9-4558-933C-AA6B0368861C.jpeg

Oh boy! That thingamabob is NOT a real compensator and would not be caught dead in the same room as a match barrel. A nice clean breaking trigger that is not TOO heavy will making YOU more accurate with the pistol a little easier.

Spend 0$ on the gun and buy lots of ammo to practice. Learn to properly and safely do dry-fire practice. That will help you more than anything else.

Good luck and welcome.

For a home defense pistol, I think going with a match barrel and lightened trigger is a bit too much. Anything you actually use in a DGU is probably going to be seized as evidence, especially in Mass. If you don't actually use it, the gun's going to spend its life in storage and punching paper targets. You'll be fine with a 5-8lbs trigger.

If you intend to compete with the gun, talk to people you compete against and see what they do to their guns.

Just shoot it for now. A lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t do a damned thing until you figure out how it shoots in your hands. If it’s going to be primarily for home use (versus the others you state), skip the upgraded barrel and buy more range ammo.

Agreed with above. Also, buy several different kinds of ammo for your range trip(s) and take notes on what ammo brand and type feeds/ejects and shoots best in your particular pistol.

Some (ammo) will suck and some will be great in it. Know which is which and what not to use or buy anymore after a few trips. Have fun and just get comfortable with it for starters. Nice looking pistol.

Thanks for the feedback guys. heading to my range for the day tomorrow and will be spending extra time on this one!

I will be mainly using the gun for home defense/recreation on the range but will probably be branching out into competitive shooting down the line.

What you have just described is really at least two different guns.
Most competitive shooters don't use their Comp guns for Home Defense, or vice-versa.
But, as others have said... shoot the hell out of it and Welcome to NES.

Oh boy! That thingamabob is NOT a real compensator and would not be caught dead in the same room as a match barrel. A nice clean breaking trigger that is not TOO heavy will making YOU more accurate with the pistol a little easier.

Spend 0$ on the gun and buy lots of ammo to practice. Learn to properly and safely do dry-fire practice. That will help you more than anything else.

Good luck and welcome.
What makes you say it’s not a real compensator? Looks practically identical to all the other ones I’ve seen for sale. Thanks for the tips!

You bought a bushing compensator. Nothing more than a $100 paperweight, sorry. And, even a real barrel comp wouldn't do much on a .45.

Dont buy any more doodads . Buy time at the range, shoot the crap out of it, get good with it, enter some informal events, and have fun.

You bought a bushing compensator. Nothing more than a $100 paperweight, sorry. And, even a real barrel comp wouldn't do much on a .45.

Dont buy any more doodads . Buy time at the range, shoot the crap out of it, get good with it, enter some informal events, and have fun.
I didn’t buy it man it came with the gun

What makes you say it’s not a real compensator? Looks practically identical to all the other ones I’ve seen for sale. Thanks for the tips!

I'm not a comp guy, but many here are and will reply shortly I'm sure.
I did find a little reading over at 1911Forum though...
Compensator or Stabilizer?? - 1911Forum

Nice looking gun, BTW...

Last edited:
What you have just described is really at least two different guns.
Most competitive shooters don't use their Comp guns for Home Defense, or vice-versa.
But, as others have said... shoot the hell out of it and Welcome to NES.
Thanks for the info man! I’ve been an NES member for probably 5+ years but this is my first forum post other than a classified ad. Will definitely put some time in on the range

Shoot it. Shoot it some more. Keep shooting it. You’ll find that it naturally smooths out.

then if you want to put money in to it, by then you’ll know where it needs improvements.

Thanks for the info man! I’ve been an NES member for probably 5+ years but this is my first forum post other than a classified ad. Will definitely put some time in on the range

We want you here.
5 years of schooling will help you because you know what we're like. Go forth!

S&W changed their triggers about the same time they dropped the grip activated firing pin safety to a design that gives a better than average out of the box trigger but also one that I would not waste money trying to improve.

In general though, the way I improve a 1911 is to drive to the south shore with the pistol and $500-5000 and leave it with Greg Derr.

Probably some 3 gun

Unfortunately, the 1911 isn't good for 3-gun. I used my dad's Springfield Range Officer in my first 3-gun match. I was reloading three times as much as guys I was competing against. Its simple math: In a stage with 25 pistol targets, which isn't out of the ordinary, you have to reload three times with 7-round mags or twice with 8-round mags, assuming no misses.

Now, I haven't shot at matches in Mass like Independent Sportsmen's "Gentlemen's 3-gun", but most matches are going to be designed for 17+ round modern handguns. Heavy Metal division is almost nonexistent in New England at clubs that regularly run 3-gun matches.

Even if you do shoot Heavy Metal or an equivalent, you're behind guys with guns like the USP or the HK45.

A 1911 will be fine in heavy metal division of 3-gun, plus mag capacity isn't really the place where most people are losing huge amounts of time. Get out there and have some fun with it, try L-10 in USPSA also. Shoot the gun you have.

A 1911 will be fine in heavy metal division of 3-gun, plus mag capacity isn't really the place where most people are losing huge amounts of time. Get out there and have some fun with it, try L-10 in USPSA also. Shoot the gun you have.

Assuming the match even has a HM division. The majority I shot last year didn't.

I agree to shoot what you have, but a 1911 is really a stop gap in 3-gun. I've asked credible, expert 3-gun shooters this question and the answer was to get a 9x19 2011.

Back
Top Bottom