How to upgrade my 1911...

You bought the wrong pistol for 3gun.

Your 1911 is better suited to the more entry level competitions anyway. Look for plate or pin matches to get your feet wet, then steel challenge, USPSA/ IDPA
Thanks for the info man, I have a few glocks I will probably be using for 3 gun in wake of the responses.

Unfortunately, the 1911 isn't good for 3-gun. I used my dad's Springfield Range Officer in my first 3-gun match. I was reloading three times as much as guys I was competing against. Its simple math: In a stage with 25 pistol targets, which isn't out of the ordinary, you have to reload three times with 7-round mags or twice with 8-round mags, assuming no misses.

Now, I haven't shot at matches in Mass like Independent Sportsmen's "Gentlemen's 3-gun", but most matches are going to be designed for 17+ round modern handguns. Heavy Metal division is almost nonexistent in New England at clubs that regularly run 3-gun matches.

Even if you do shoot Heavy Metal or an equivalent, you're behind guys with guns like the USP or the HK45.
Gotcha gotcha, guess I will be relying on my glocks then for the pistol portion!

Wow that’s quite a range lol

Well, it could be anything from some trigger work and new sights to a weld up and full customization. For a S&W I would probably not go over $800-900 in work tops.

I have an aluminum framed Ruger 1911 in .45. I like in because of the insert in the feed ramp so the aluminum doesn't get gouged over time, but to really get it where I would like it is probably just not worth the investment in a Ruger. But everything is worth what ever you are willing to pay for it.

Everytime I am there I debated getting a Colt really done up but so far just have not decided on exactly what I want.

I would get a dawson fiber optic front sight and a blacked out adjustable rear sight.
This.
Action job isn’t a bad idea either if the trigger is that bad. Can’t imagine it is though.
No idea what a match barrel would do? You’d have to be one hell of a seasoned experienced skilled shooter to notice a difference.

I love threads like this, and not just on NES. I'll read the same thing over on TalkBass or the Telecaster Discussion Page, and this thread would fit in perfectly there if you substitute a few things.

1911 = Telecaster (or PBass)
Glock = Les Paul (or JBass)
Feed ramp = fret level
New grip = new tuners
Trigger job = pickup swap
New sight = new strings, preferably a heavier gauge
Ammo = amp
MOA = intonation
Mods = mods

And the best part? Be it here or there, the OP hasn't either shot it or played it before he posts.[rofl]

Try several boxes of different ammo, check for groups, make notes on targets and save. Compare targets. Buy 1000 rounds of ammo making best groups. Then just shoot until you get one ragged hole consistently.

S&W changed their triggers about the same time they dropped the grip activated firing pin safety to a design that gives a better than average out of the box trigger but also one that I would not waste money trying to improve.
In general though, the way I improve a 1911 is to drive to the south shore with the pistol and $500-5000 and leave it with Greg Derr.

From Smith & Wesson "marketing" regarding your new to you 1911..."Purpose: Competition Shooting, Home Protection, Recreational Shooting, State Compliance." It has (supposedly, you can confirm / deny) tritium night sights, titanium firing pin, oversize extractor, precision fit trigger, and combat ejection port.
So, I tend to agree with bfm's statement above... to a point. I've seen, but never fired 1911's from Greg Derr. He is truly an artist. For me though, while I can't leave things alone, changing certain components on guns only makes microscopic in my results. Other more experianced shooters will see much more improvements. YMMV You didn't mention what platform gun your most comfortable shooting, so tough to say what improvement you might experience.

Practice shooting it is going to be the general consensus, odds are it does everything better than you can.

This. Couldn't agree more.

Shoot it. Shoot it some more. Keep shooting it. You’ll find that it naturally smooths out. then if you want to put money in to it, by then you’ll know where it needs improvements.

Isn't there an old saying "shoot like you stole it"? I would shoot it yourself for atleast a few hundred rounds with some different ammo, then decide what you want to do with it. Then, you atleast have some kind of baseline to measure your modifications.

GJacobs24, in all seriousness, I like 1911's and think yours is a nice gun. I'm sure you know about field stripping and reassembling 1911's without causing an "Idiot mark". If not, then just Google it.

Update with a range report. I'll bet you'll be happy with it's performance.

Jay

Thanks for the info man! I’ve been an NES member for probably 5+ years but this is my first forum post other than a classified ad. Will definitely put some time in on the range

Coming from a Federal Firearms instructor, you'll be surprised what a lesson or two from an actual instructor will show you. The first lesson will be an hour pointing out everything you're doing wrong. Take some time to unscrew yourself, then get the second lesson to actually get better, rinse and repeat.

Believe me, I went to a 3 week school and pretty much learned something new every day. I thought I was pretty good before. Now, I'm still trying to unscrew myself from bad habits. Some of them were taught to me 20 years ago, techniques change or something new comes along. I'll get there eventually. But you seriously can't analyze yourself. I've videoed guys who refused to admit they were doing x, y, or z. The video was eyeopening to them, watching themselves do x, y, or z really drove home the point. I shoot with other FI's and we nitpick the hell out of each other to get better. There is no end destination, there is only the journey.

I love threads like this, and not just on NES. I'll read the same thing over on TalkBass or the Telecaster Discussion Page, and this thread would fit in perfectly there if you substitute a few things.

1911 = Telecaster (or PBass)
Glock = Les Paul (or JBass)
Feed ramp = fret level
New grip = new tuners
Trigger job = pickup swap
New sight = new strings, preferably a heavier gauge
Ammo = amp
MOA = intonation
Mods = mods

And the best part? Be it here or there, the OP hasn't either shot it or played it before he posts.[rofl]

What? No Rickenbacker?
sjmbl6hklyb54msnplac.jpg

So, a Hofner would be what, a Luger or maybe a P-38...?

I had a blonde pre-Ernie Ball Music Man, back in the 80's.
So, maybe a Mosrite is the P-38? Or, a Jennings .25 auto...

26535225_1.jpg

Last edited:
That’s a Bren Ten. Often spoken of, frequently written about, never really seen in the Wild.
Well, it was the early 80's and they were around. At least it was in Lowell. Traded it for a Steinberger. The Police were popular back then...
Oh, and the Headless got traded for a '72 Fender Jazz with the sweetest of tones with flat-wounds...
...and tube-amps.

Crap. Forgot what Forum I was on...

Try several boxes of different ammo, check for groups, make notes on targets and save. Compare targets. Buy 1000 rounds of ammo making best groups. Then just shoot until you get one ragged hole consistently.
Spot on with this. I’m hoping my local shop has a good selection of .45

Does anyone have any private firearms instructors in Worcester county they can recommend?

What are you trying to learn?

If you're trying to learn basics of competition shooting, show up to matches after watching a crapload of YouTube. The YT-watching should familiarize you with concepts like the 180 and match safety. If you go to a match, hopefully with someone you know, speak up and say that this is your first match. Everyone gets it and will understand. The three closest multigun clubs I know of to Worcester County, Mass, are Independent Sportsmens in Foxborough, Wallum Lake in Burrillville, RI, and Townsend Rod and Gun in Townsend.

If you're trying to learn basics of competition shooting, show up to matches...
yeah, i agree. when i started ipsc back in the day, just asking a couple ro's for info, tips and tricks resulted in basicly several "private lessons" at pelham for myself and my friend who was a newbie also. we worked on drawing, sight picture and and tons of basics we wouldn't have known otherwise. no you tube or internet in those days, ya got everything from reading magazines. so yeah, you got to get out there, make friends and ask questions and help will just flow like turning on the tap. oh, i also found that if you mention your new and never shot competition before someone will usually take you under their wing for the day. they want you to come back, not be frustrated and never return.

now..ask for help on the golf course and they'll just walk away from you. [laugh]

Hey guys, so I just picked up my first 1911 yesterday and I’m already thinking about what mods I need.

I’ve been reading and watching some online reviews and I’m torn about where to start..

For starters I picked up a SW 1911 TA. Already have a compensator on it right now. I have been told a good place to start was a match barrel, lightweight trigger and a full trigger job?

Any information on what you guys think would be greatly appreciated. I will be mainly using the gun for home defense/recreation on the range but will probably be branching out into competitive shooting down the line. So would like some mods that really up the accuracy and potential of these great pistols!View attachment 322378
Sell that, take the money your where going to waste on it and buy a tricked out one already to rock, I might have a line on a GregDerr 1911

You bought the wrong pistol for 3gun.

Your 1911 is better suited to the more entry level competitions anyway. Look for plate or pin matches to get your feet wet, then steel challenge, USPSA/ IDPA
Dont worry OP that gun is probably good to go for Service Pistol 25 and 50 yards trying to hit the X ring.

I emailed with greg a while back about some work. He’s slammed and when I last talked with him he wasn’t taking on any new work

I emailed with greg a while back about some work. He’s slammed and when I last talked with him he wasn’t taking on any new work
Yup lots ofvprojects hes doing.
Plus I think this is busy season as the nationals are not far off

Back
Top Bottom