• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to tell who or how many are "watching" a thread.

Is watching different than viewing? IE ‘following’ for example.

Using iPhone shows up like this and I don’t use an app to view the sight.

0B572816-BF8F-4095-B808-6A1ABCBF9AB4.jpeg E3EBE19E-7C90-4287-99FE-0FB938EC7F55.png

That’s about as deep as you can get without some type of Mod/Admin panel AFAIK.

Are you being stalked? lol

Is watching different than viewing? IE ‘following’ for example.

That’s about as deep as you can get without some type of Mod/Admin panel AFAIK.

Are you being stalked? lol

I guess I should have worded my question a little differently. If I start or post to an existing thread (no matter how old it is), then I can get updates when someone posts additional information. I know I can opt out of that notification. I'm not really interested in "viewership", but more of the "following". Sometimes I post to an old thread and wonder does everyone who ever contributed or "watched" that thread get notified that there is new content.

Sry, nobody is stalking me. LOL. I'm way to boring for that.

Jay

I think I’m following what you’re asking. As you posted above, you can adjust your own settings and receive notifications or turn them off as desired, that’s the same for everybody. Now whether they do it or not you (we) aren’t privy to that information.

As a test post something to an old thread like you said.
Wait for your notification that someone else has then posted, and ask them if they also received a note.

Click the watch button

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210721-204330-235.png
    Screenshot_20210721-204330-235.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 2
Then choose your notification

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210721-204254.png
    Screenshot_20210721-204254.png
    48 KB · Views: 3
Paranoid much?

Nope. Not in the least my friend, but good contribution though.

Let me ask another way. This thread has been viewed 135 times in the "Tech Support" section no less (that's kind of impressive by itself). Like I mentioned, I'm not really asking about views. There have been 11 replies from eight people. @cams , @whatluck , @one-eyed Jack ,@Woodstone , @Spartan65 ,@Boghog1 ,@01906 and @Mtn_Guy . So if I wanted to, for lack of a better term, send some information to my eight favorite friends, I could respond to the thread and assuming they did not turn off the default setting of "notify when a new post" happens (or whatever the technical term is) my eight favorite friends would get a notification. Kinda like a mass mailer type thing.

It was more a curiosity thing than anything deeper or nefarious. Really.

Jay

I think I’m following what you’re asking. As you posted above, you can adjust your own settings and receive notifications or turn them off as desired, that’s the same for everybody. Now whether they do it or not you (we) aren’t privy to that information.

As a test post something to an old thread like you said.
Wait for your notification that someone else has then posted, and ask them if they also received a note.

YOU'RE giving tech advice now? o_O

YOU'RE giving tech advice now? o_O
Eat it. lol It’s been a long year dude, like a monk I studied and read everything I could get my hands on. And I even stopped blowing cig smoke over the top of the wifi box of wizardry with a flashlight looking for the magical waves coming out. 🙏🏼😎

Eat it. lol It’s been a long year dude, like a monk I studied and read everything I could get my hands on. And I even stopped blowing cig smoke over the top of the wifi box of wizardry with a flashlight looking for the magical waves coming out. 🙏🏼😎

Wow... yeah, I've been gone for a long while, I guess [laugh]:p

I swear I remember a link/button to "hot threads" or something like that in some forum, maybe the old version of this one. Basically, it is a link to threads that are having a lot of posts, and/or a bunch of rapid replies, or something like that. Kind of think of it as "trending" for a forum. I haven't looked real hard, but don't see anything jumping out.

Ya I would definitely smoke some of that. [smile];)

1st off, I about blew an eye out laughing on this point. "Welcome to MA!"

2nd, I was unable to find the info that 'cams' previously lists, the "Users who are viewing this forum". I'm on windoze PC browser. I'll keep looking, maybe it's in a forum "category" and not a forum "thread" ?

3rd. however, I did find settings that suggest you're info on viewing is being tracked, probably easily:

1626920451366.png

I found this somewhere down in "your account preferences". your mileage may vary, which is what I suggest next:

the NES site format on a mobile device is different from a PD web browser format. the later should be the better, more revealing. but that could be the opposite with mobile device popularity.

Paranoid much?
tumblr_lpt0pxNmjZ1qzdqcoo1_1280.gif

Is this an appropriate time to say,

"Hi Maura!"
Just be sure to include the Wave.
[wave]

Back
Top Bottom