How to Tell if a Pistol was Registered in MA Before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypothetically speaking, how would one go about finding out if a pistol was registered in MA at one point in time?

Say for example, someone wanted to bring a pistol in from out of state that's not on the approved roster. For arguments sake, let's say the firearm is pre-ban.

Is there a way for a dealer to find out if the gun was in fact registered in this state at one point in time, which means it's still transferable in MA?

Forgive me if this has been discussed before - I tried searching and was unsuccessful.

Thanks.

Is there a way for a dealer to find out if the gun was in fact registered in this state at one point in time, which means it's still transferable in MA?

No, or at least, not anyway an FFL will do.

Hypothetically speaking, how would one go about finding out if a pistol was registered in MA at one point in time?

Impossible as there is no firearms registration in MA. The only way you could tell if an acquisition was registered to an individual in MA would be the original copy of an FA-10 form from pre-Oct-98.

Say for example, someone wanted to bring a pistol in from out of state that's not on the approved roster. For arguments sake, let's say the firearm is pre-ban.

Pre-ban has no bearing on an out-of-state handgun not on the approved roster.

I suppose if you could figure out who owned it before oct-98 you could try and get their list from FRB, but good luck with that avenue.

Forgive me if this has been discussed before - I tried searching and was unsuccessful.

Thanks.

No prob [grin]

I would hope not. That would imply that there was a database of ownership recoords AND that database was accessable to the average person. No offense, but I don't want you knowing what guns I owned and when.

If you want to bring in a 'pre-ban handgun', which I assume means pre-1998, just find a dealer who will do it. Not every dealer's interpretation of the 'laws' are the same.

"How to Tell if a Pistol was Registered in MA Before"

Is this one of those "finish the joke" threads? [laugh]

It won't fire for fear of legal liability...
When you pull the trigger it blows a rape whistle...
It only fires blanks...
It looks NIB because it was always locked up...
It says NERF on the side...

Impossible as there is no firearms registration in MA. The only way you could tell if an acquisition was registered to an individual in MA would be the original copy of an FA-10 form from pre-Oct-98.

So then how could anyone prove, let's say, an HK SP89 was ever here before or not? Does this mean if you could find a willing dealer you could hypothetically obtain one out of state?

So then how could anyone prove, let's say, an HK SP89 was ever here before or not? Does this mean if you could find a willing dealer you could hypothetically obtain one out of state?
In America, the burden of proof would be on the state. By contrast, in MA, the law is whatever the lunatics on the bench and DA claim it is that day...

As always, these laws affect dealers, so its their problem not yours as the owner...

In America, the burden of proof would be on the state. By contrast, in MA, the law is whatever the lunatics on the bench and DA claim it is that day...

As always, these laws affect dealers, so its their problem not yours as the owner...

I'm starting to think just moving is the easiest solution

I'm starting to think just moving is the easiest solution
This law, like so many other really gets to the core of why MA laws are so offensive to anyone who believes in civil rights.

We lack fundamental due process protection in this state, not just in practice, but by the stated ruling of the courts...

Not only do we need to change the laws, we need to start looking at removing people from the bench who say things like "we don't follow the jurisprudence of the Supreme Court" and "the burden of proof of suitability is on the applicant."

If you cannot abide by the laws of this land as an officer of its courts, you are not suitable to hold that position - period...

Yes, but the SP89 falls under the AWB in Mass and knowingly possessing a post ban gun is illegal. So even if you find a dealer to transfer it your not out of the woods if the state can prove you knew it was post ban.

There are 2 different issues the OP posted, off roster hand guns and hand guns that are pre ban or essentially falling under the Mass AWB manufactured after September of 1994.

If you find a dealer to transfer you an off-roster gun and it would not be considered an AWB by Mass then you are GTG and congrats on your 4th gen glock/kimber/colt/SA/M&P with a trigger <10#

Yes, but the SP89 falls under the AWB in Mass and knowingly possessing a post ban gun is illegal. So even if you find a dealer to transfer it your not out of the woods if the state can prove you knew it was post ban.

There are 2 different issues the OP posted, off roster hand guns and hand guns that are pre ban or essentially falling under the Mass AWB manufactured after September of 1994.

If you find a dealer to transfer you an off-roster gun and it would not be considered an AWB by Mass then you are GTG and congrats on your 4th gen glock/kimber/colt/SA/M&P with a trigger <10#

But thats just it, it's not a post ban gun. It was made previous to 98, but if it was not in state previous to that it is illegal. It's not like it was made last year and i knowingly own a gun that could never in any ways shape or form be legal in MA. What I'm getting at is how can anyone tell if it came into ma in june of 1996 or may of 2011? How is anyone to tell if it was here or not if there is no way to track that sort of thing.

So I think that question's answered...no way to tell...

Now, can someone PM me with a place that's friendly to transfers?

I repeat, PM me.

DO NOT POST IT IN HERE

But thats just it, it's not a post ban gun. It was made previous to 98, but if it was not in state previous to that it is illegal. It's not like it was made last year and i knowingly own a gun that could never in any ways shape or form be legal in MA. What I'm getting at is how can anyone tell if it came into ma in june of 1996 or may of 2011? How is anyone to tell if it was here or not if there is no way to track that sort of thing.
Keep in mind that the 1998 and the 1994 ban are two different things with two different exceptions...

1994 is the AWB, high-cap mags, flash hiders folding stocks, the should thing that goes up, etc... As this was based on the Fed ban, it only specified that things manufactured prior to 9/94 were good-to-go...

1998 is the EOPS/AG's list(s) which specified, IIRC, that the hand-gun had to be legally possessed in MA prior to '98. If not, it could not be sold or transferred by an FFL. (exceptions for guns that moved in or were purchased by special people (LEO) and then sold).

The 1998 restrictions regulates FFL's NOT owners or FTF transfers.

You'll never know unless it has the original paperwork with it. CHSB (or whoever they call themselves now) will not divulge data to 3rd parties. Further, if the gun is old enough, it might not even be in their database at all.

-Mike

"How to Tell if a Pistol was Registered in MA Before"

Is this one of those "finish the joke" threads? [laugh]

It won't fire for fear of legal liability...
When you pull the trigger it blows a rape whistle...
It only fires blanks...
It looks NIB because it was always locked up...
It says NERF on the side...

Dont forget the orange plug in the barrel

Impossible as there is no firearms registration in MA.

I don't understand this statement because they are making you fill out a form that is sent to the state that they keep a record of and at the top of the form is a place to check off that says registration if a long gun is bought out of state so to me no matter how you slice it it is registration.

I don't understand this statement because they are making you fill out a form that is sent to the state that they keep a record of and at the top of the form is a place to check off that says registration if a long gun is bought out of state so to me no matter how you slice it it is registration.

Once you have your LTC/FID you have to register new acquisitions via FA-10, but there is no penalty for simply possessing a firearm that is not "registered". It's not a registration system like you see in other states.

It's not registration in the typical sense because of a few circumstances:

-There are occasions where you can legally have guns that aren't registered here, ever. (EG, you are moving into the state, or you are operating as a nonresident in MA with a nonres LTC- none of your crap in MA has to be registered in either case!)

-Years ago the state destroyed a crapload of transfer documents because they were contaminated with bird/rat feces. These never got put into the electronic system. So any old guys who have owned lots of guns probably don't functionally have half their stuff in the MA system because of this.

-You're borrowing someone else's gun. Since you don't own it, there is no transfer, and no "registration".

-Another fun example- not so much now but in the old days- if a dealer forgot to file the FA-10 (or lost it, or screwed it up) when you bought the gun, it's their fault, not yours. (seller is obligated to file).

-You will NOT get sent to jail for having an unregistered firearm in MA. The compulsory element is "reporting a transfer". There is no onus on the gun owner legally to do anything other than that. If the state lost your FA-10 or didn't put it in the system properly it's not your problem- there is no onus for you to maintain correct records with the state. The only legal obligation is that you notify CHSB of transfers (when necessary) as outlined in the law. Anything beyond that = not your problem. Contrast this with typical compulsory registration setups,
where your gun not being in their database = prima facie evidence of a crime. That's not the case in MA.

I understand the typical argument that the state is maintaining a list of transfers you perform, which is an ugly thing, that is registration. I suppose in that realm it certainly is... it is not, however, a system like the one MI had (maybe still has?) in place where you can face criminal liability if you are caught with an unregistered handgun.

-Mike

I'm not begging anyone. If I can't transfer something, I'll have my old man put it in his name (in a different state), and I'll borrow it from him.

Not only that, but I'm not asking anyone to break the law. I'm simply asking for someone who has had experience with dealers that practice a "friendlier" interpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom