• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to spot a hidden firearm

I've seen that page before. Interesting that it is in ET's book. I must have missed it.

So what did you think of the course?

Wow, never saw that before and actually realize I do a few of the points mentioned. Another study of human behavior that can "out" you!!! Thanks for posting!! Reps inbound.

Another reason I like shoulder rigs. I know that lots of people don't and they are not always appropriate, but they have a ton of advantages.

So what did you think of the course?

I guess I wasn't smart enough to get most of his jokes during the lecture. I did learn a couple things and some of the things he said made me think of stuff I would've never normally think about. Basically, I thought it was okay and it felt like I was back in school again with the way he lectured. [shrug] Not everyone's cup of tea ...

Get a good belt and a good holster and all that is of no consequence. It's people that don't have a good belt and holster that do that stuff. Real CC don't do that, just rookies that don't equip themselves I spent $90 on a belt and $60 on a holster. I changed none of my behavior because the belt and holster do what they are suppose to do. The gun is only half of the equation. The belt and holster are the other half. I routinely travel in public, on bus, train, trolley and in car. No one knows I'm carrying a full frame G17 with a 15 round mag and two 15 round backup mags IWB. And I have been doing it for years.

Get a good belt and a good holster and all that is of no consequence. It's people that don't have a good belt and holster that do that stuff. Real CC don't do that, just rookies that don't equip themselves I spent $90 on a belt and $60 on a holster. I changed none of my behavior because the belt and holster do what they are suppose to do. The gun is only half of the equation. The belt and holster are the other half. I routinely travel in public, on bus, train, trolley and in car. No one knows I'm carrying a full frame G17 with a 15 round mag and two 15 round backup mags IWB. And I have been doing it for years.

This

... And I have been doing it for years.

I think this helps too. I think most occasional or new CC'ers seem to fiddle with the firearm more.

Just like I can tell when a guy has been recently married, he's usually constantly playing w/ and spinning his wedding band. I was no exception.

Last edited:
I have to remind myself to not put my hands on my hips during conversations when I'm carrying, because I find that my right hand is nestling in onto the top of my back strap. Instead, I try to remember to hook my thumbs into my front pockets.

If I want to spot CCW'ers in a crowd, I just play a shotgun racking sound from my cell phone. All non-CCW'ers will either run, duck for cover, or shit their pants on the spot with a deer-in-headlights stare. Any regular CCW'er will spin their head in my direction to try to identify the shotgun. Any NES'er will do a tactical roll while simultaneously drawing. We then flash each other the secret Zombie Response Squad sign and all is well. Any whacker will fumble for his gun, drop it, pick it up, rack the slide, turn the safety off (maybe), and proceed to try to get his CCW sash on with one hand.

the tufte material is not so much about what is communicated as how. one of his more famous examples is minard's graph showing the size of napolean's army during his invasion of russia in 1812 plotting army size, time, and winter temperatures. HUGE army going to moscow and oops, winter, not so much left retreating back home. entire invasion in one clear, easy to understand graph.

I attended the Tufte lecture too. (Thursday) I happened to flip to that exact page while I was trying to find one of the super graphics he was having us look at.

I thought the talk was very interesting. He made a lot of math and programming references though, so it would be a little hard to follow at times if you're not into those things.

If I want to spot CCW'ers in a crowd, I just play a shotgun racking sound from my cell phone. All non-CCW'ers will either run, duck for cover, or shit their pants on the spot with a deer-in-headlights stare. Any regular CCW'er will spin their head in my direction to try to identify the shotgun. Any NES'er will do a tactical roll while simultaneously drawing. We then flash each other the secret Zombie Response Squad sign and all is well. Any whacker will fumble for his gun, drop it, pick it up, rack the slide, turn the safety off (maybe), and proceed to try to get his CCW sash on with one hand.

I see you ride the T

Typo they are 17 round mags. Thanks for the pickup.

Hey, weren't you the guy who was putting 18 rounds in his G17 a while back? Now you're down to 15? [wink]

Not trying to be a smartass or the typo police here; it just caught my eye (again). I am one of the subjects who has had to make the choice of crippling my G17 or paying ridiculous dollars to buy "pre-ban" mags (you know, the ones that are safer than the later versions [thinking])--just because I moved to this lovely state. But at least I'm at two years and counting until I escape.

Carry on smartly sir!

I think this helps too. I think most occasional or new CC'ers seem to fiddle with the firearm more.

Put it on and forget about it unless you need it. Do you think about your car keys? No you don't. you put them in your pocket and forget about them until you need to use them. Firearms should be the same way. God gave us the right to protect ourselves and a firearm is a good way to do that. Put it on and forget about it. It's your RIGHT to carry it. Just like your car keys.

Last edited:
Hey, weren't you the guy who was putting 18 rounds in his G17 a while back? Now you're down to 15? [wink]

Not trying to be a smartass or the typo police here; it just caught my eye (again). I am one of the subjects who has had to make the choice of crippling my G17 or paying ridiculous dollars to buy "pre-ban" mags (you know, the ones that are safer than the later versions [thinking])--just because I moved to this lovely state. But at least I'm at two years and counting until I escape.

Carry on smartly sir!

i may be able to help you out with some pre-bans at *very* reasonable prices. I have many friends in free states that keep an eye out for pre-bans for me. ($20 sound OK?) If you want I'll email them and the search will begin.

And I can get 18 rounds in but it's not easy [rofl]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom