• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to spend my tax refund?

How should I blow my Tax Refund?

• Summer Carry -- small frame auto -- Seecamp, Keltec, etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Screw it, you've been in it a whole month, get that S&W 1911 custom!

• What, no rifle yet?

• What, no shotgun yet?

• You can barely hit anything with the Walther -- get a .22 target gun!!

• Blow it on Training

• Total voters
I know that not everyone is posting comments in this thread, but is it me or am I the only one wondering why only 27 people have answered the poll question?

Do what I did and build one of these:

CTR2TONE1s.jpg

I actually recommend just getting a 1911. Get the S&W DK1911 and just shoot the crap out of it. You already have your reloading press so just set it up for .45 with some light target loads and be ready to go. I recommend learning one game before moving on to the next. When I first got into guns my 3rd gun was an AR. It was a cool gun but I hardly ever used it and eventually sold it. Hopefully now with the IPSC rifle matches and 3 gun events I'll hold on to this one for a while.

Pete

Weer'd Beard said:
No worries, my good friend HATES my 1911. Simple as this he has small hands, and the way he grips the gun it often doesn't trigger the grip safty.

-Weer'd Beard

I HATE grip safeties. I have large hands, and no personal problems with them not depressing, but they are just so unneccesary!

Maybe your friend should try to find an old Star PD. They were very well built, they were slightly smaller than a Commander, and they had NO grip safety.

Arguably, they were what the 1911 SHOULD have been.

Regards
John

One possibility that didn't show up in your poll is to buy a GOOD air pistol.

I believe there are some real nice copies of the Walther P99.

This would probably let you shoot in you backyard or basement - I'm not too sure what the laws about air pistols are in the PDR of MA.

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
One possibility that didn't show up in your poll is to buy a GOOD air pistol.

I believe there are some real nice copies of the Walther P99.

This would probably let you shoot in you backyard or basement - I'm not too sure what the laws about air pistols are in the PDR of MA.

Regards
John

Not really the greatest, but I do have an airgun in the shape, size and weight of a 1911, that 's very accurate. I bought it in Manchester to deal with a squirrel problem. Even picked one off around a blind corner point and shoot style at about 5 yards once with it. Believe it or not, airguns need no permits at all in Mass. I've been meaning to set something up in the basement but keep procrastinating.

I HATE grip safeties. I have large hands, and no personal problems with them not depressing, but they are just so unneccesary!

Maybe your friend should try to find an old Star PD. They were very well built, they were slightly smaller than a Commander, and they had NO grip safety.

Arguably, they were what the 1911 SHOULD have been.

Well, if you don't like the grip safety on a 1911 it will take about 3 minutes to remove. All you need to do is remove the mainspring housing and bend the sear spring which deactivates the grip safety. I would never do this on a carry gun but for target/competition there is nothing wrong. I've done this on a few 1911's but found that for me it doesn't make a difference either way so I keep it activated.

Pete

matt said:
Blow it on training. No question.

Just be sure to bring your new revolver to class!!!

It looks like things are trending in that direction right now. Happens I discovered an "error" on one of my credit cards of about $230 bucks. So, that plus a little from the tax return should equal a nice used Airweight, with enough left over for a decent course this season.

Well, I blew some of it on a Seecamp .32. 8) Very cool little gun, & I have enough left over for some training in the summer.

Just know that if you buy the Airweight you will NEVER shoot it. I have one and I hardly ever shoot it because it is not a fun gun to shoot. It is very inaccurate and smacks your hand hard when you shoot it. However, it is a good carry gun because it is easy to conceal and carry but is limited because of its accuracy. Since you're new to shooting I would recommend getting a good "shooting" gun that you can enjoy while at the range.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom