How to select which AR to buy?

Cuz

NES Member
Ok, I've decided to buy an AR. I want a new one, MA compliant of course. How do I go about picking a brand, and then a model? There seems to be too many to choose from. I know nothing about rifles except that I want to own an AR before it's too late. Can someone offer advice on which features I should be considering, what's important, and what's not? Four Seasons has a DPMS Panther Arms AP4 for $875. Is that a good one? When ever I look thru a Bushmaster catalog I just get confused at all the different models to choose from. It just seems too complicated. FS has like 7 different Bushmasters to choose from. They all look the same to me. Does anyone else have this problem? How does Bushmaster compare to DPMS? Any other brands I should be considering? Did I mention I don't know anything about rifles?
Thanks,
-Cuz.

I recommend that you purchase a Rock River Arms AR from Pete at ar15sales.com. He is located in NH so you will not have to pay sales tax. I can also vouch for the RRA concerning their mass compliant muzzle. Even though it is not a flash hider it is very effective at reducing muzzle flash.

Here is what I ordered:

Elite CAR A4 (Dominator EOTech Mount) [$869]
Massachusetts conversion [$35]
ACE Skeleton Stock (full size) [$25]
Surefire quad rail [$175]
Graphite Fore Grip, Quick Detach, Black [$30]

Total price - $1134

ar1.jpg

Let what you want to do with it drive your choice. You have not said what you want to do with it.

B

I don't have a clue what I want to do with it. I don't know if I'll ever even shoot it outside of once or twice to make sure it works and that I know how to work it.

Back in 2000 I had this same feeling so I went out and bought a Ruger Ranch Rifle instead. I took it to the range once to site in the scope I bought for it and shot maybe 100 rounds. Haven't touched it since. I don't have any desire to shoot rifles, just pistols.

I guess if I had an AR I might consider entering some action rifle or 3 gun matches but that would mostly be just to get some experience shooting it. I don't belong to any club that allows rifle fire and don't plan to join one anytime soon. So to answer your question I guess it's primary function would be to look nice in the safe until...
-Cuz.

I recommend that you purchase a Rock River Arms AR from Pete at ar15sales.com. He is located in NH so you will not have to pay sales tax. I can also vouch for the RRA concerning their mass compliant muzzle. Even though it is not a flash hider it is very effective at reducing muzzle flash.

Here is what I ordered:

Elite CAR A4 (Dominator EOTech Mount) [$869]
Massachusetts conversion [$35]
ACE Skeleton Stock (full size) [$25]
Surefire quad rail [$175]
Graphite Fore Grip, Quick Detach, Black [$30]

Total price - $1134

ar1.jpg

That's a nice looking rifle. I like that stock better than the non-telescoping telescoping stock. All the rails on the front end look useful, but wouldn't they hurt your hand if you didn't use the fore grip? Also, are those iron sites or some kind of red dot on it?

If it is going to be a safe queen, just buy something that you think is cool. Parts guns are fairly cheap.

It depends how much money you want to spend. If you have around a grand a DPMS is great or a Bushmaster.

If you have a few grand then get a JP.

www.jprifles.com.

You can actually get into one of his guns pretty tricked out for around $1400. Much nicer than most other brands and built to your needs. I would give him a call and see what he can do for you.

Pete

That's a nice looking rifle. I like that stock better than the non-telescoping telescoping stock. All the rails on the front end look useful, but wouldn't they hurt your hand if you didn't use the fore grip? Also, are those iron sites or some kind of red dot on it?

The rails are fine to hold. The rifle in the pic has iron sights.

It depends how much money you want to spend. If you have around a grand a DPMS is great or a Bushmaster.

If you have a few grand then get a JP.

www.jprifles.com.

You can actually get into one of his guns pretty tricked out for around $1400. Much nicer than most other brands and built to your needs. I would give him a call and see what he can do for you.

Pete

I'd like to spend less than a grand on the rifle, then add a red dot site to it for a little more. I went thru all this same stuff when I tried to use the SVI Gun Builder to build a pistol a while back and ended up giving up on the whole thing. Fortunately for me Brandon Strayer came thru and hooked me up so I actually do own one of their fine handguns. But I shoot that a lot so I didn't mind spending the money. The AR will be more of a "just because I don't have one" type of purchase so I don't want to spend too much.
I'd have to say that right now I'm leaning towards the DMPS at Four Seasons simply because it's all done and ready to go. Although I do like the stock on the rifle pictured a few posts above.
-Cuz.

I have 2. Both lowers are Bushmaster. One upper is V match 16" other is the 20" Clark Gator upper.

You are welcome to try both. You know where I am [wink]

Thanks RGS. I appreciate the offer. I'm still not sure what a lower and upper is on an AR but I think I'm figuring it out. So I'm assuming that neither of yours were bought "as is" off the rack.

By the way, I'm a lefty. Is that going to be a problem with an AR? I don't want to get hit with ejected brass. And before anyone mentions it I do not want to buy a left handed model. I would prefer to shoot the standard design so I'll be familiar with anyone's I should ever pick up to shoot. I don't want to handicap myself in that regard.

Sorry I missed you at Manville. I actually had forgotten to bring my 625 with me so even if you were there it wouldn't have mattered.

-Cuz.

My dad shoots lefty, he doesn't have any problems with cases hitting him.

I run a bushmaster lower with a CMMG 7" upper, runs great and is alot of fun

Thanks RGS. I appreciate the offer. I'm still not sure what a lower and upper is on an AR but I think I'm figuring it out. So I'm assuming that neither of yours were bought "as is" off the rack.

-Cuz.

Go to the BUSHMASTER SITE and take a look around at Upper receivers and Lower receivers.

Mine are not "Off the rack" but not that far off.

Also, I skipped Manville too. Rain and arthritis don't mix well.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom