• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to Recondition an old wind-up Flashlight

Cartoons

NES Member
Found an old wind-up flashlight in the glove compartment of my wife's car. It hadn't been wound/charged or used in years.

I started winding it up last night, but it wouldn't hold a charge or last long... does anyone have any suggestions on how to recondition it? On my way to work today, I would wind it for the recommended 2-3 minutes give it a minute, start again - it seems to work (or at least work better now).

Anyways, did a search here, and on the inter-webs and couldn't find anything, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

Not sure on the reconditioning question. I bought a couple several months ago. The instructions called for cranking it a few times every month to keep it functional. I am not sure if it is helping the battery life or keeping the coil corrosion free. Maybe if you just keep exercising it.

Not sure on the reconditioning question. I bought a couple several months ago. The instructions called for cranking it a few times every month to keep it functional. I am not sure if it is helping the battery life or keeping the coil corrosion free. Maybe if you just keep exercising it.

Ah, I hadn't thought of the anti-corrosion angle. I'll just keep exercising it and see if that works.

It's either got a super capacitor or rechargeable battery. If it's a battery, a few more cycles of charging and discharging might improve things.
Is it glued together, or can you open it to replace the battery?

It looks like this (not my picture) but practically the exact model I have:

1280px-Crank_powered_flashlight_disassembled.jpg

Crank powered flashlight disassembled to show parts: (1) Crank (2) Reduction gears (3) Brushless AC generator (4) Rechargeable lithium-ion cell (5) Full-wave rectifier (6) On/Off and mode selection switch (7) LED lamps
Mechanically_powered_flashlight

As a tinker-hobby exercise, you could always replace the degraded Li battery with a new one from Amazon. In a more practical view though, you'd most likely get halfway to a full replacement costs with a single rechargeable Li battery purchase, so not sure if it is worth it unless you're doing it for fun.

If you are doing it for fun, might as well upgrade. Find the output values on the battery and up the capacity, as it looks like the case can fit a larger cell. Could also experiment with sealing adhesives to make it water resistant, as long as you have it open already.

Back
Top Bottom