• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to react if approached about carrying a firearm in a store

No.

I’ll walk outside, give my pistol to the wife, go back in and leave an upper decker and bang the cutest cashier (that’s why the wife is outside). When the manager comes to complain I toss his keys on the roof.

I’m green on NES, that’s how we roll.
Don't forget to light up a Kool or Newport when done. [rofl]

Meh, marginal legal advice for Shooters that don't even live in the "Northeast".

STFU/GTFO: that part's good advice.

I really like the passive aggression
of only identifying yourself to the cops -
not to store management or security.

But anyone who absolutely has to go Full Karen
and demands to speak to the manager,
should go home first and lock the gun up.

Because if they recognize you at Customer Service,
some snowflake may swat you. You're not gonna like
what happens to your gun if it's in their parking lot.

Most of all, the utter disregard of the risk of binding signage
makes that a really crap article, especially from a lawyer.

not wanting to come off as a hot shot, i don't pay attention to those signs. if they were serious, they'd install metal detectors at the entrances.
You could be making a mistake ignoring those signs:
HandgunLaw.US: Ohio: Places Off-Limits Even With a Permit/License
Title 29: 2923.126. (B) ... Prohibited Places.
From the Ohio Attorney General
The law sets forth several places where your license does not allow you to carry a handgun. Under the law, you may not carry a concealed handgun into the following places:​
...​
Licensed Class D liquor permit premises if you are consuming beer or intoxicating liquor or are under the influence. If you are not consuming, you may carry unless there is a conspicuous sign prohibiting carry. Possession of a concealed firearm is allowed in a retail store with a D-6 or D-8 permit as long as the concealed carry license holder is not consuming liquor. Class D permits are generally issued to an establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises. In any event, do not consume beer or intoxicating liquor before carrying a concealed handgun into a licensed premises.​
...​
Sec. 2923.1212. Signage Prohibiting Concealed Handguns.
(A) Each person, board, or entity that owns or controls any place or premises identified in division (B) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code as a place into which a valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun, or a designee of such a person, board, or entity, shall post in one or more conspicuous locations in the premises a sign that contains a statement in substantially the following form: "Unless otherwise authorized by law, pursuant to the Ohio Revised Code, no person shall knowingly possess, have under the person's control, convey, or attempt to convey a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance onto these premises."​

All that ragtime about binding signage at restaurants
is why I don't carry in Ohio even after they opened up.
I'm not going to play games stashing my gun in the rental car, etc.
This is a Texas article and the storage laws in Texas are wildly different from those in Massachusetts.
Ah yes, "Texas - the Buckeye State".

In Texas more cars have guns in them than not. You don’t need an LTC to have a gun in your car or to use one to defend yourself if attacked in your car, consequently a lot of people who do not have an LTC have guns in their cars. Because they can’t legally carry in public, they leave them there. It’s pretty common.

legal or not, I’d not do it because the risk of theft is high and I don’t want to lose a $400-600 gun.

This is a Texas article and the storage laws in Texas are wildly different from those in Massachusetts. It’s perfectly legal to leave a firearm in your car in Texas without having to worry about additional locks etc.
Not unless the Buckeye Firearms Association moved from The Buckeye State to Texas.

Texas has binding signage laws, 30.06 for concealed carry and 30.07 for open carry. The laws spell out the exact verbiage, the size and type of font, the size of sign, and the required location for placement of said signs. If an establishment is properly posted in accordance with those regulations, you’re in violation of the law carrying inside that establishment. There is no “I didn’t know it was your policy” defense. All of which is in contravention of the Buckeye Firearms Association’s article. People really should learn how to read.

In Texas, the signage is the law.

Texas is worse than Mass on that subject.

You could actually go to jail for CCW.

Not in Mass.

Sure but it has to be specific signage and outside of hospitals and the nuclear plant I didn't see a single legal (30.06) no guns sign. Open carry was not legal when I was there. There were a few store policy no guns signs, various types like you might see anywhere. Mostly it is just the places you can't carry because of what they are and they have correct signage (51% alcohol for instance) and otherwise you are good to go unless confronted.

In Texas, the signage is the law.

Texas is worse than Mass on that subject.

You could actually go to jail for CCW.

Not in Mass.
No you can’t. If you’re licensed and you violate a 30 06 or a 30 07 sign it’s potentially a fine provided you leave the premises when asked. If you refuse to leave the premises then it goes to something you can go to jail for. You go to jail for refusing to comply with the request to leave private property.

Not unless the Buckeye Firearms Association moved from The Buckeye State to Texas.

Texas has binding signage laws, 30.06 for concealed carry and 30.07 for open carry. The laws spell out the exact verbiage, the size and type of font, the size of sign, and the required location for placement of said signs. If an establishment is properly posted in accordance with those regulations, you’re in violation of the law carrying inside that establishment. There is no “I didn’t know it was your policy” defense. All of which is in contravention of the Buckeye Firearms Association’s article. People really should learn how to read.
Hey thanks for being a dick. I saw the reference to Texas in the first line of the article and made an assumption. We know what happens when you assume.
As I posted above violation of a 30.06 or 30.07 is a Class 3 misdemeanor carrying a fine of up to $200. If you are in violation and refuse to leave when asked it goes to Class 1 which can result in jail time. Per my LEO friends most violations result in a warning at worst.

Hey thanks for being a dick. I saw the reference to Texas in the first line of the article and made an assumption. We know what happens when you assume.
As I posted above violation of a 30.06 or 30.07 is a Class 3 misdemeanor carrying a fine of up to $200. If you are in violation and refuse to leave when asked it goes to Class 1 which can result in jail time. Per my LEO friends most violations result in a warning at worst.
What's that you say? I'm sorry, I only read the first line of your post, and now I'm going off to make uninformed posts based on that one line.

See how well that tracks? And somehow I'm in the wrong here?

What's that you say? I'm sorry, I only read the first line of your post, and now I'm going off to make uninformed posts based on that one line.

See how well that tracks? And somehow I'm in the wrong here?
Continue to misquote me. I said the reference to Texas in the first line caused me to make an incorrect assumption. I did not say I only read the first line. Dick. And Ohio or Texas, the content doesn’t carry to MA anyway.

This is a Texas article and the storage laws in Texas are wildly different from those in Massachusetts. It’s perfectly legal to leave a firearm in your car in Texas without having to worry about additional locks etc.

Whether it was Texas or Ohio or Massachusetts, the point wasn't about legality: it was that leaving a store armed, putting your gun in your car, and then leaving it while you shop isn't a great idea. It marks that car as ripe for a smash-and-grab.

I do appreciate the ability to carry OWB and not worry that the SWAT team is going to be called on me if I bend over and my shirt lifts up a little. When I lived in Mass I always assumed anybody open carrying was a plain clothes cop or detective and I bet many others do too.

Is it common in New Hampshire? I have only seen people open carrying a few times in the year that I've been living here.

Up north of the notches, I see someone OCing about once a week, on average. Depends on the weather, of course. Lately I admit I've gotten a bit lazy and just go with the .380 in a pocket holster, because my 1911 (8+1 +10 +10) doesn't work great with my growing belly and shrinking ass. I have to do too much hitching-up every three steps.

I've said it many times on this forum, but it's true: up here where natives and tourists from MA, NY, and QC all collide, the tourists would be disappointed if they didn't see someone carrying a gun. It's like their real-life verification that the Wolfman from Clark's isn't a fictional character.

So, in other words this guy handled it all wrong?

" Wal-Mart Employee Tried to Forcibly Disarm Me

I stopped off at a Super Wal-Mart yesterday to buy them out of .223 and .44, which I did, to the tune of several hundred dollars. The woman running the sporting goods counter was very friendly and helpful. I was with two friends at the time, and one of them mentioned that, that we should spend our Wednesday night cleaning our guns and watching Dirty Harry. Sounded like a perfect night to me!

I was open carrying a 6" S&W 29 at 3 o'clock in a Galco hip holster with jeans and a borrowed, West Virginia university jacket over a white t-shirt. It was snowing at the time and I didn't have a jacket on me, so I was wearing my friend's spare coat. The jacket was tucked behind the holster so the gun was clearly exposed. I do not currently have a CCW, and trying to conceal an N-Frame is nigh impossible anyway. All in all, my appearance suggested early 20's redneck, while my friends were business casual. I usually carry in a button down shirt and nice shoes, but the surprise snow precluded me from doing that.

I paid for my ammunition at the counter and moved to the movie section. We spent about ten minutes searching for Dirty Harry, but, unfortunately, couldn't find it. As a consolation prize, I picked up the Death Wish three-pack, True Grit, The Cowboys, and Rio Bravo. After gathering all of these up, we headed for the front counter to pay for the movies. In my left hand were the bags full of ammunition. My two friends were with me. All of us were relatively clean shaven with short haircuts. Both of them were conceal carrying, Friend One with a HK USPc 9mm in an MTAC and Friend Two carrying a Colt Government 1911 SOB without a holster. He also had a small can of OC spray.

As we reached the front of the store, I looked around for an open lane and saw that the Self Checkout was the best option, as it had no line. I set down my ammunition and scanned the first movie. The screen said "Employee Authorization Needed for Transaction Verification". I looked to the end of the lanes at the counter where they had two women employees overseeing the self check-out, and gave them a look that said, "Hey, I need someone to help me out with this." They gave me a look like they knew what was happening, but didn't say or do anything.

All three of us were standing, looking at the screen and around in the immediate vicinity.

After maybe ten seconds, a dark haired man, approximately 45-55 years old, came from around the backside of the self checkout lane and approached from my 10 o'clock while I was looking towards the women at the oversight counter at the front of the store. He was not wearing a name tag, but had on the Wal-mart blue polo shirt tucked in, jeans, a mustache and glasses. He was about 6'1" and had a small belt case that had either a flashlight or multi-tool, or something along that nature. His hands were empty. He came face-to-face with me at arms-length. I thought he was the guy who would press the buttons to approve my transaction. He spoke.

Wal-Mart guy - "Is there a reason you're carrying that firearm?" With a strong, accusatory tone.

Me - ::Slight pause:: "Yes."

I was pretty shocked at first, because, to that point, I had NEVER been challenged in this particular Wal-Mart, or any other, and I had open carried multiple times.

Wal-Mart guy - "Well then, let's see it. Put it (meaning the gun) on the counter."

Me - "No. I will not remove my gun from its holster."

Wal-Mart guy - "Put it on the counter."

Then, he grabbed me on the left shoulder with his right hand.

Massive adrenaline dump.

I knocked his arm away at the elbow while I took a step back and bladed at a 45 degree angle. My vision tunneled, all I could see was his torso. I was yelling loudly and forcefully, but not at the top of my lungs.

"YOU WILL NOT TOUCH ME! YOU WILL NOT PUT YOUR HANDS ON MY FIREARM"

My hands were out in front of me, palms facing out.

Wal-Mart guy - "Ohhh." Condescending tone.

He came at me again, reaching for my shoulder with his right hand and down and the gun on my right hip with his left. I knocked his hands away and covered the butt of the revolver. My two friends moved in to put some distance between us. He took a half-step back, and was just out of arms length. I was yelling throughout.

"YOU WILL NOT TOUCH MY FIREARM! YOU WILL NOT TOUCH MY FIREARM!""

More @ Wal-Mart Employee Tried to Forcibly Disarm Me ETA: Pics Pg 9, MSPaint Pg 15 - Page 1 - AR15.COM
What the Wal-Mart loser did to you was assault. A crime. Why wasn't your fist slamming into his mouth right then and there? You and your friends should have given him a boot party
Stomp his face into the floor!

What the Wal-Mart loser did to you was assault. A crime. Why wasn't your fist slamming into his mouth right then and there? You and your friends should have given him a boot party
Stomp his face into the floor!
It wasnt the OPs actual story it was just probably some fake made up bullshit from another website.

That story almost reads like it was written by bassmedic46 or whatever that guy's name is, lol.

Up north of the notches, I see someone OCing about once a week, on average. Depends on the weather, of course. Lately I admit I've gotten a bit lazy and just go with the .380 in a pocket holster, because my 1911 (8+1 +10 +10) doesn't work great with my growing belly and shrinking ass. I have to do too much hitching-up every three steps.

I've said it many times on this forum, but it's true: up here where natives and tourists from MA, NY, and QC all collide, the tourists would be disappointed if they didn't see someone carrying a gun. It's like their real-life verification that the Wolfman from Clark's isn't a fictional character.

I'm heading up north of the notches tomorrow so I'll see if it's more common there. I've seen plenty of dilapidated houses in the woods in southern NH with yards full of broken down cars and heavy equipment to confirm that Wolfman is an archetype.

I do appreciate the ability to carry OWB and not worry that the SWAT team is going to be called on me if I bend over and my shirt lifts up a little. When I lived in Mass I always assumed anybody open carrying was a plain clothes cop or detective and I bet many others do too.

Is it common in New Hampshire? I have only seen people open carrying a few times in the year that I've been living here.

1. Guy open carrying a handgun in a holster and standing near the highway overpass near the mall in Manchester while holding up a sign saying something like "Time to repent, America. The party's over!"

2. A hunter with a muzzle loader slung on his shoulder about to hike into the woods near a trail head

3. A guy holding a scoped rifle in one hand getting his mail from the mailbox on a busy road in Bedford. I assume he had just got home from the range.

You've not been to New Hampshire either.

Look, its not "Planet Gun" but most folks don't care if you're packing a .22 short or towing a howitzer. Ok that might catch some kids attention or make a liberal cry, but we've got Constitutional carry here. Some folks open carry and others dont. Most natives really don't give a hoot how or what you carry. It's one of the reasons the crime rate is so low. Our deadly force laws are reasonable plus there's "stand your ground" written into our general laws (RSA'S) Criminals know dang near everyone is armed. They don't want to be shot. Hunters don't rate a second glance. Just don't think you can waltz down Main St with long arm unless you're dressed like a hunter, have a hunting license and are actively hunting where lawful. I'm not trying to sound like a badass. That's how life is here.

Some folks can't handle freedom.

I'm heading up north of the notches tomorrow so I'll see if it's more common there. I've seen plenty of dilapidated houses in the woods in southern NH with yards full of broken down cars and heavy equipment to confirm that Wolfman is an archetype.
Golly gosh ! Stereotype much ?

It wasnt the OPs actual story it was just probably some fake made up bullshit from another website.

That story almost reads like it was written by bassmedic46 or whatever that guy's name is, lol.

1) Yes, it wasn't me (fortunately) [banana]

2) Consider the source... anything is possible. [thinking]

3) I don't know who bassmedic46 is but chances are he'll never be a GunKid, Geko45 or SPECOPS. [rockon]

I once walked into the Walmart at drum hill, hitched up my jeans as I walked across the parking lot and apparently the old biddy 30ft away saw my 1911 iwb and called the local pd. A sergeant I knew heard the call, called me with a heads up that Chelmsford pd was enroute. T
Reminds me of the time a neighbor called the PD because a suspicious car was parked in font of my house. When the cop arrived, he hopped in the passenger seat of the suspicious car and said "Hey Erich, we got a report of a suspicious car parked in front of this house ... did you see any?".

"politely ask for a manager to meet you outside to discuss the matter."

employee 1:ugh, excuse me boss
manager: yes
employee 1: we have someone by the name of Karen outside waiting to speak with you.
manager: 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
"politely ask for a manager to meet you outside to discuss the matter."

employee 1:ugh, excuse me boss
manager: yes
employee 1: we have someone by the name of Karen outside waiting to speak with you.
manager: 🤦‍♂️

Right, I can see that going perfectly well.

It's more like...

Associate to Manager: "Umm, we just asked this guy who was carrying a firearm to leave the store. He seemed quite angry about it. He says he'll be outside in the parking lot waiting for you."

What are the odds that DOES NOT end up with a SWAT call?

I once walked into the Walmart at drum hill, hitched up my jeans as I walked across the parking lot and apparently the old biddy 30ft away saw my 1911 iwb and called the local pd.
Last night I thought that read "old buddy",
and figured you meant you'd been swatted
by some wisenheimer you knew.

It's more like...
Great minds run in the same channel.

Last night I thought that read "old buddy",
and figured you meant you'd been swatted
by some wisenheimer you knew.
Lol, it did. Phone typing sucks, I have paws, not hands. My ring finger is size 16. I wear size 8 1/2 surgical gloves, the average male wears 7 or 7 1/2. Smaller women can wear as small as 5's. I edited it:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom