• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to prototype a new gun?

Hi, (edited for more sanity and coherence in the cold light of day)

So, I'm wondering how one begins prototyping a radical new gun? How did other people do totally new things in the gun world?

Should I, like, build a model? Like an oversized one out of some workable material (wood), with the major components of the action, ignoring common components?

I can't freehand draw worth the napkin it would be drawn on, and I'm not particularly proficient at cad/cnc stuff, so I don't think I can do that kind of drawing either.

Are there gunsmiths or production houses who would be willing to do a (possibly completely insane) custom gun?

Any useful and practical thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks for your indulgence,

-J

Last edited:
Maybe spend the time and do your best with a drawing that at least shows the general (unique) design and function. Use a pencil. Bounce it off a couple of people who know guns and aren’t on ambien and see what they think. If they give you the green light buy a bottle of vodka and a Home Depot gift card and see if you can talk Boris into building it for you.

2747588243_49cc048d9e_b.jpg

No drawing on napkins, model it in SolidWorks, there is of course the $4000 for a license and probably a year or so of a learning curve.

Using a CAD system is a good idea. There are a number of free programs you can download or use online and create 3D drawings without the expense or time to learn SolidWorks. I used to use a program called SketchUp. They still have a free version:

SketchUp Free

I haven’t used this for years but it was fairly easy to draw things in 3D when I did.

Using a CAD system is a good idea. There are a number of free programs you can download or use online and create 3D drawings without the expense or time to learn SolidWorks. I used to use a program called SketchUp. They still have a free version:

SketchUp Free

I haven’t used this for years but it was fairly easy to draw things in 3D when I did.

SketchUp rules. I use it all the time.

No drawing on napkins, model it in SolidWorks, there is of course the $4000 for a license and probably a year or so of a learning curve.

Free ish if you have a .edu address. And far cheaper than that through several resellers. Solidworks is the best way to go. I learned by watching and following a bunch of YouTube videos. Including one dude who did a full Glock 19 slide in about 30 minutes.

guns are tools, tools are made for special purpose, to solve specific problems. What problem are you trying to solve? Yes, there are gunsmiths who would build this for you, no drawings needed if you can explain the idea in plain English. The reality is that it's probably been done before, you just don't know it yet.

I would start by making a computer model, evaluate for functionality if you can get ahold of the software to do that, and then either find a machine shop or gunsmith to take on the job. If you're not confident in your modeling skills then you may want to find or hire someone to do that legwork.

Autodesk's Fusion 360 is FREE to hobbyists. Tinkercad is said to be good.

I modeled a new barrel for my RFB in Fusion 360 (which is finally being contoured from a blank now!). It's not Solidworks but it will do the job. If you are even a part-time student you may be able to get ahold of a student version of Solidworks. If you are active duty, reservist, or a veteran you can get a 1yr Solidworks license for $20.

Most of the parts can be made by an unlicensed machine shop, although most will not want to work on firearm parts - try to meet with the owners and determine if they're gun people or not. Look outside the box. I had a quote on the barrel job from a custom driveshaft shop although I ultimately went elsewhere. As I was looking around, car shops tended to be friendlier than electric motor manufacturers for instance. Machine shops will charge you both arms and both legs for custom machining unless you have a very simple design so be prepared for that. They're going to want a lot of information you may not have or be aware of (thread classes for instance), will make the item strictly to your specifications, and it will stand or fall based on your ability to convert the design into specifications. If you don't have all the details they need, they can usually provide design assistance for your kidneys.

Alternatively if you can find and meet with the right gunsmith (i.e. not a glorified armorer), napkin drawings may suffice (I would still do the computer modeling for your own verification purposes). They'll also do the work for less money and take more time to do it. The difference is they'll do it right.

Used to run an industrial model and prototype shop. We met with hundreds of inventors. Of those hundreds, the number of products that made it to market was - one. It was a dog washer.

Here’s what we would usually say (since very few of them had done any homework about existing art). Either:

1. You are the first person in the history of the world to have this idea, or
2. There is no market: the product cannot be produced for a price people will pay.

That said, MakerSpaces now provide design and prototyping resources for much less than any commercial entity.

SketchUp Free

Show me a firearm designed in SketchUp?

Mossberg, Remington, and Smith & Wesson use SolidWorks as their primary design tool. The consultants hired to design the Sig M1911’s, Ditto. Likely many others, those are just the ones I have experience with.

Back
Top Bottom