• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to legally sell a shotgun I found?

So, what about in cases like this where there was not a transaction as such?

Just file out form as originator of firearm like you would if you built up a stripped lower?

But then what happens if it turns out the firearm had been stolen sometime in the past? Are you guilty of receiving stolen property?

Honestly asking as that would be my guess for what would happen when the number is run. If they do that when you FA10.
I did not go back to the OP's msg to see what the original (8 yr old someone said) story said. I replied to a BS response here with bad info.

Nobody does a stolen check on each FA-10 form filed, it just does not happen.

FFLs have no way to determine if a gun traded/sold to a gun shop/put on consignment was stolen either. If there is a particular reason, police may do a check for stolen at that time. I haven't run one of those in probably 30 yrs but it was a PITA to run a stolen check back then. Today's computers are a lot better so the results will probably be a lot better too. In most cases if found to be stolen the police confiscate it and that is that . . . unless they have specific reason to suspect that the owner knew it was stolen.

I run my own title searches on houses that interest me (we're looking to move to NH) and if I found a name that I suspected to be a gangster owned the house at one time and I also found a gun stashed away in said house after buying it (legally what's left behind is the new house owner's property . . . many PDs and the AG in Mass would disagree, but in Free America this is the way things are), then and only then would I have a friend who was active LEO run the number just to be sure that there are no bodies attached to said gun.

legally what's left behind is the new house owner's property

Absent a clause in the real estate contracts,
or a special law in the jurisdiction,
don't jump to hasty conclusions.

Common counterexamples include "abandoned" cars,
and stuff left behind by departing/evicted tenants of the seller.

One can't blindly treat those items like they came with the property.

Guns may even be riskier in the few nanny-states that register their possession or transfer.
Len - when you're looking at contracts on your new home,
and when you put your current home on the market,
it's good practice to give everything a good squint
and ask yourself "Is this attached to the land/building?/
Do I wish it was?/Do I wish it wasn't?"

That "bailment" nuance about hidden/lost items in the 2nd article
is basic business law, but I never thought of the case before.

Just take the damn thing. When you sell it the buyer doesn't give a crap who owned it before you, which in this case was a bank and prior to that, the home owner. It's not your responsibility to provide a chain of possession.

You're only eight years late with that terrible advice.

I now concur. after some research.

the information that i posted was given to me several years ago by the authority that issued me my LTC!
this was when there were paper FA10's

when did the law change?
or was he full of it?

G

Back
Top Bottom