How to identify RRA 2-stage trigger

This came up as a question in a classified ad: how to tell the difference between a standard RRA trigger and their two-stage trigger.

Regular Trigger:

100_0499.jpg

Two Stage Triggers:

rra2stage.jpg

Note the different shape of the hammer.

It's a different feel. Some prefer it. A two-stage rifle trigger feels like a 1911 trigger -- first you have some slack, then the takeup with very little movement, then the break and little overtravel. Many rifle competitors (e.g., CMP, service rifle) use two-stage triggers.

The stock AR15 trigger is usually 6+ lbs and can't be easily, reliably, and durably improved without replacement.

What is the reason for a 2 stage?

They are safer and they have been standard equipment on all US military rifles until the M16. The M16 did not have it because Eugene Stoner was lazy.

I've heard some say that two stage triggers were not included in the M16 because they cannot support selective fire. BS. The M14 was available as a select-fire weapon with a two stage trigger.

They are safer and they have been standard equipment on all US military rifles until the M16. The M16 did not have it because Eugene Stoner was lazy.

"Lazy?" Or overruled by that meddling bean-counter, Robert MacNamara?

You know, the firearms genius who decided a chromed chamber and barrel was a luxury an infantryman's primary weapon didn't need....... [rolleyes]

It's a different feel. Some prefer it. A two-stage rifle trigger feels like a 1911 trigger -- first you have some slack, then the takeup with very little movement, then the break and little overtravel. Many rifle competitors (e.g., CMP, service rifle) use two-stage triggers.

The stock AR15 trigger is usually 6+ lbs and can't be easily, reliably, and durably improved without replacement.

Sounds like your 1911 has a bad trigger job, My AR and 1911 triggers feel the same, except my single stage AR trigger has very little creep, where my 1911 has none.

"Lazy?" Or overruled by that meddling bean-counter, Robert MacNamara?

You know, the firearms genius who decided a chromed chamber and barrel was a luxury an infantryman's primary weapon didn't need....... [rolleyes]

As much as McNamara and his "whizz kids" were complete and utter morons in managing weapons programs and winning wars, you cannot pin the AR-15's lack of a two stage trigger on them.

Remember the AR-15 was not designed at the behest of the Army Ordnance Corps nor to their specifications. It was a 100% Armalite program that did not even strike the military's interest until General LeMay heard about it.

Back
Top Bottom