• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to Identify Pre-Ban High Cap Magazines?

Question for the group. When one sees pre-ban high cap mags for sale how does a person know that it is definitely pre-ban? I have read different and conflicting points of view. I've heard that even stores sometimes cannot clearly prove that mag is pre-ban. Is there a fixed marking on all those pre-ban mags? Others say there is virtually no difference between pre and post ban. Don't want to run afoul of the lax Mass. gun laws(sarcasm on)
Have a Beretta 92FS and Sig P226, does model of handgun make a difference? Any clarity would be greatly appreciated.

Some you can tell, some you can't.

For starters, read the Sticky thread on Glock mags to get a good idea about them and some of the issues surrounding this law.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/4944-MA-Identifying-Pre-Ban-Glock-Mags

Anything marked "LEO/MIL Only" on it are definitely banned in MA.

Some companies (AR mags in particular) didn't exist prior to 2004 (when Fed ban expired). MA bans all hi-caps made after 9/13/1994.

Ok, I tried to muddle through the Glock thread but that confused me even more. I did see a gun shop advertising pre-ban mags for the Beretta but frankly am not sure if they really were pre-ban 94. I don't want to get burned at some point down the road as I am sure Mass. AG would go after me not the store that claimed they were pre-ban. Well , I guess I'll just stick to the 10 rounders as it seems there is no definitive answer and don't want to take chnce of arrest for convenience of a high cap mag.

Ok, I tried to muddle through the Glock thread but that confused me even more. I did see a gun shop advertising pre-ban mags for the Beretta but frankly am not sure if they really were pre-ban 94. I don't want to get burned at some point down the road as I am sure Mass. AG would go after me not the store that claimed they were pre-ban. Well , I guess I'll just stick to the 10 rounders as it seems there is no definitive answer and don't want to take chnce of arrest for convenience of a high cap mag.

Fine then, don't use the gun as it was intended. For guns like the 92, getting prebans (or things that will at least pass as prebans) is pretty easy.

You need to do some more research, and stop being afraid of your own shadow... even in MA.

-Mike

Thanks guys , in particular Hydrogenous. That explanation was like a college tutorial. Clear, thorough and detailed. Outstanding information. Being a somewhat rookie to the Class A LTC ranks I'll probably have more simple questions. But I now have every confidence that these forums can assist and provide the information to expand my knowledge of firearms, sources and regulatory issues. Thanks again.

although few pre-ban mags don't have marking or serial numbers, some can be easily identified.

For my sig the zipperback mags are preban and easy to spot for example.

P1050863.jpg

I am looking to buy a few 17 round Beretta mags that look like the first one you showed in the top picture. It does not have the giant dimple at the bottom of the side of the body. Also has the exact same writting as the one in the picture, but no LEO / mil or serial #. Preban ya think or not? Would anyone even know / care?

Back
Top Bottom