How to Identify/Date a S&W

86K3xxx

1980 57K0001-91K6800

What you have there is not uncommon. S&W would change model numbers (the number after the "dash"), but still have older frames on hand to finish. So it is not unusual to find a new engineering change (the number after the dash) serial number that still has some characteristics from the previous version. Not really valuable or noteworthy except to collectors.

86K3xxx

1980 57K0001-91K6800

What you have there is not uncommon. S&W would change model numbers (the number after the "dash"), but still have older frames on hand to finish. So it is not unusual to find a new engineering change (the number after the dash) serial number that still has some characteristics from the previous version. Not really valuable or noteworthy except to collectors.
Thanks! Yes, that's what I had read, that it would have been finished in sort of a transition stage.
I was interested in it before noticing it was pinned, but I know that "pinned and recessed" is, for some, a desirable feature, although my understanding is that it's not really necessary.

Going to load up a bunch more 38spl this weekend in anticipation.

Thanks again!

Need help on an older revolver in a friends collection. Am I reading this one serial number correctly? C388620 would be a C series K frame built in the 50's?

C388620

1954-1956 C277555-C402923

This would most likely be a "pre-Model 10, 11 12, 45, or Aircrewman" fixed sight in either .38 S&W, 22 LR, or .38/200. If one of the last two calibers it might be an interesting piece.

C388620

1954-1956 C277555-C402923

This would most likely be a "pre-Model 10, 11 12, 45, or Aircrewman" fixed sight in either .38 S&W, 22 LR, or .38/200. If one of the last two calibers it might be an interesting piece.
perfect, thank you for the help! From what I understand, in order to be an "Aircrewman" it would have to say "Property of the US Airforce" on the back strap, is that true?

perfect, thank you for the help! From what I understand, in order to be an "Aircrewman" it would have to say "Property of the US Airforce" on the back strap, is that true?

It is a little more complex than that. The Aircrewman was a 2" revolver, originally with an alloy frame and cylinder, models of which were produced by both S&W and Colt.

The chances of this being an actual Aircrewman are only slightly less than winning the Megabucks lottery.

The following article may give you some insight into this rare revolver.

America’s Military Revolvers

Can anyone let me know if I’m in possession of a Smith and Wesson “interim” model 645? Interim models are supposedly pre-pilot test productions before the release of the 3rd gens; they were handcrafted from the smith factory custom shop. The SN is TBU4XXX.

It’s an oddball because the 645/4506 is suppose to be all stainless steal. Most interims were transitionals between the 645 and 4506. Only a couple hundred were produced. Could this be an anomaly? Maybe a early transition from the 645 to the uncommon 4505?

Any information will help! Thanks

Attachments

• AE46A1B6-747A-4747-99B4-4964245DF87C.jpeg
    AE46A1B6-747A-4747-99B4-4964245DF87C.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Can anyone let me know if I’m in possession of a Smith and Wesson “interim” model 645? Interim models are supposedly pre-pilot test productions before the release of the 3rd gens; they were handcrafted from the smith factory custom shop. The SN is TBU4XXX.

It’s an oddball because the 645/4506 is suppose to be all stainless steal. Most interims were transitionals between the 645 and 4506. Only a couple hundred were produced. Could this be an anomaly? Maybe a early transition from the 645 to the uncommon 4505?

Any information will help! Thanks

Now this is an interesting question. And one I cannot answer with any expertise. It would appear from The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson that the transitional models were serial-numbered with an "RSR" prefix.

I would strongly suggest that you take this question to the Smith & Wesson forum, www.smith-wessonforum.com since they have experts on just about every model of S&W and someone could give you a much better and more complete response.

Now this is an interesting question. And one I cannot answer with any expertise. It would appear from The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson that the transitional models were serial-numbered with an "RSR" prefix.

I would strongly suggest that you take this question to the Smith & Wesson forum, www.smith-wessonforum.com since they have experts on just about every model of S&W and someone could give you a much better and more complete response.

Thanks for the response! I’ll definitely post under the smith forum. I’m familiar with the RSR model “transitionals” produced in approx. 1991. But there were supposedly “interim” and “pilot” test productions circulated a few years before the RSR—before the 3rd gens.

From what I’ve read; most are stamped with the SN prefix “TBU” but I have read of others like TBV or TBY. The one I have is just very oddballish because of the blued/carbon steel slide. All 645/4506’s were stainless. If you have the smith catalog; is there anything about the TBU prefixes?

Attachments

• 3835FAF5-1D1F-493A-AAF6-24628CE392F2.jpeg
    3835FAF5-1D1F-493A-AAF6-24628CE392F2.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 6
Just scored a Model 48 in excellent condition; serial number is K3674xx.

I THINK it's from 1959; in the box with it was the original NJ Purchase Permit with a date of December 2nd, 1959. Does the serial number support that? (I think it must; from what I read online that gun was only introduced in May 1959.)

And no, it's not for sale. I like S&W revolvers and I like .22WMR. This is one of the guns I've had on my gun lust list.

Yeah, I think that 1959 manufacture would be pretty accurate.

Not for sale?

May I remind you that you owe me a good deal. [wink]

Sorry... perks of an FFL. It's already been signed out into my personal collection.

Hell, I've got a customer who collects Smiths... he's going to be all over me when I show it to him!

Along with the Model 17 I got a month ago. ;)

Last edited:
Just purchased a Model 49 in nickel. Been following the thread, but still not sure about date of my revolver. Could use some help. Ser. J545### Thanks

Just purchased a Model 49 in nickel. Been following the thread, but still not sure about date of my revolver. Could use some help. Ser. J545### Thanks

The Model 49/649 was (IMHO) one of the finest small revolvers S&W made. My former FFL (now deceased) worked for both S&W and Colt and used to tell me that he thought the M49 was one of the best pointing pocket guns he had ever seen. I let him talk me out of a really nice 649 but I did keep my blued 49.

As far as the date of manufacture, from the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, 4th Edition:

1976-1977 J370001 - J610000.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
The Model 49/649 was (IMHO) one of the finest small revolvers S&W made. My former FFL (now deceased) worked for both S&W and Colt and used to tell me that he thought the M49 was one of the best pointing pocket guns he had ever seen. I let him talk me out of a really nice 649 but I did keep my blued 49.

As far as the date of manufacture, from the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, 4th Edition:

1976-1977 J370001 - J61000.

Enjoy!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the info!

Hello,

I need your help. I own a Smith&Wesson Revolver Model 610 (6 1/2“)
Serial Number BFA60XX

When is the production year?
I think between 1990-1992 but I don’t know exactly.

Could someone read it out of his smith and Wesson book please?

Thank you
Tim

The latest shows BFA being clustered with about a dozen or more Bxx serial number groupings for 1991. But it does not include any numbers. I hope this helps.

I only want to know the year because someone told be BFA is 1990 and now you say it’s 1991. It’s important because of my birthyear :). Now I don’t know 1990 or 1991. Is it possible to say it exact ?

Thank you
Tim

So do you think it’s made 1991 and not 1990?

I can't tell you. And it's not about what I think (for the most part). It's about what the serial number/model number tables contained in the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, 4th Edition, the foremost publication on Smith & Wesson firearms, reflect in general what Smith & Wesson records say. Smith & Wesson firearms have probably one of the most inquisitive and knowledgeable bodies of fans of any firearms companies. Many of them have access to more in-depth records reflecting the actual manufacturing and sometimes shipping records of individual guns. I can only give you information contained in those tables. I can't compete with "someone" who told you something different.

If you really need to know when your Model 610 was manufactured you can:

1. Call S&W directly: (413) 781-8300
2. Join the Smith&Wesson forum and ask them: www.smith-wessonforum.com. Lots of knowledgeable people there.
3. Contact the Smith&Wesson Historical Foundation for information: Smith & Wesson Historical Foundation - Home Page - Insuring that the rich history of Smith & Wesson will continue for generations to come

I understand your desire to know for certain when your 610 was manufactured. One of my favorite firearms is a Smith & Wesson .38 Military & Police (pre-model 10) which is documented as being shipped the same month I was born. That's kinda neat.

Good luck.

This sounds suspiciously like a S&W pre-Victory model from WWII or shortly before. If you can tell me the caliber (make sure it is exactly what is printed on the barrel) and the serial number, I'll bet I can make a pretty good guess.
I just acquired a 64-3 with serial number beginning in AHP? I was told this stands for Arizona Highway patrol. I did some research & was not able to find any serial numbers on S&W serial number lookup. Does anyone have any insight on this ? Thank you

I just acquired a 64-3 with serial number beginning in AHP? I was told this stands for Arizona Highway patrol. I did some research & was not able to find any serial numbers on S&W serial number lookup. Does anyone have any insight on this ? Thank you

I think if it was then it would have their seal engraved on the right side plate. Or something stamped on the butt/backstrap/barrel somewhere.

According to my Std Catalog of S&W, AHP should fall between 1986 and 1987. In the 1980s they went to 3 letters and 4 digits.

I hope that you bought this revolver for it's condition and not for the story. "AHP" is just one of numerous three letter prefixes used by S&W in their serial numbers starting around 1980. To the best of my knowledge such prefixes were never used to designate specific police department purchases. A number of law enforcement departments did purchase model 64's but the Arizona Highway Patrol is not listed in this group (in the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, 4th edition). You can see if S&W will give you the date of manufacture if you call them, 1-800- 331-0852. They may also be able to tell you if it was part of a department purchase.

According to my Std Catalog of S&W, AHP should fall between 1986 and 1987. In the 1980s they went to 3 letters and 4 digits.

According to the 4th edition, "AHP" is one of the prefix groups listed in 1985.

HOWEVER, hearing stories of S&W manufacturing practices, this is not a guarantee that 1985 was the only year of manufacture for "AHP" marked firearms.

Back
Top Bottom