How to Identify/Date a S&W

This sounds suspiciously like a S&W pre-Victory model from WWII or shortly before. If you can tell me the caliber (make sure it is exactly what is printed on the barrel) and the serial number, I'll bet I can make a pretty good guess.

THANKS!

LenS

SERE,

Send Depicts a PM and offer to send him pics. He's a pretty knowledgeable guy on old S&Ws.

LenS,

THANKS! SEE ABOVE.

Last edited:
???? STUMPED and couldn't sleep.

I have a S&W Revolver given to me by a widow in the 1990's.

It has never been fired since I have owned it. It shows significant holster and carry wear but is in good shape.

If no one here can answer your question, head on over to the Smith and Wesson forum, register as a member and post your question. It helps if you can post pictures and the serial number, but a good description will help.

I think FPrice is right as the Victory models had a V or SV prefix in the serial number.

The caliber should be marked on the barrel. Something like .38 Spcl CTG, or similar.

If no one here can answer your question, head on over to the Smith and Wesson forum, register as a member and post your question. It helps if you can post pictures and the serial number, but a good description will help.

I think FPrice is right as the Victory models had a V or SV prefix in the serial number.

The caliber should be marked on the barrel. Something like .38 Spcl CTG, or similar.

Thanks Garys,

No letters in the serial numbers on the barrel, grip or frame. [thinking]

It is a ".38 S&W CTG" it does not mention Special.

Matt

THANKS! SEE ABOVE.

Last edited:
Thanks Garys,

Been there done that - I know a moderator over there. Just never got photos.

No letters in the serial numbers on the barrel, grip or frame. [thinking]

Oh duh, I read that thread, but didn't comment. I just didn't make the connection between the two different spellings of your screen name. Double Duh.

I think that the consensus over there is right though. It's likely an early hand ejector.

It is a ".38 S&W CTG" it does not mention Special.

That's a different cartridge, pre .38 Special. Much less powerful.

As folks said over there, it's value depends on it's condition. If you can find .38 S&W it might be a shooter, but it's probably of more value to you as a display piece.

Well, as most people who know older S&W revolvers now know, Matt has a fine example of a pre-WWII .38S&W revolver that almost certainly saw some service during that war.

Technically it's a .38 Military and Police Model 1905 4th Change. But it's serial number and caliber also identify it as a .38/200 British Service Revolver, AKA a Model K-200 and/or a Pre-Model 11. These were made for England and were for the most part shipped overseas. I would say that Matt's dates to late 1940.

There is a curious problem with the serial number. The number on the butt is clear but the numbers under the barrel and on the rear cylinder face (shown) have the same mark (overstamp?) on the second digit. Possibly a barrel and cylinder change to match the frame? An interesting question which I am hoping Roy Jinks might be qable to shed some light upon.

I am sure that this would be safe to shoot but it would also make a fine display piece.

I am lookin at buying a S&w .357 snub nose. I was wondering if someone could give me the model and year. Serial number is CMC8XXX.

I am lookin at buying a S&w .357 snub nose. I was wondering if someone could give me the model and year. Serial number is CMC8XXX.

There is no way anyone here could determine the model number from a partial serial number. Doesn't the seller know what model it is? You could call S&W with the full number and they could help you. Or you could open up the cylinder and check the inside of the crame area. S&W has been stamping the model number in there since about 1957 or so. My copy of the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson stops at serial number prefix CEF at Aug 2000. This revolver is "probably" a 2001-2002 manufacture.

It sounds like you have a roughly 1955 pre Model 10, 11, or 12. Do you have the ability to take some good quality, detailed pictures? If not can you tell me the barrel length nd caliber (should be a .38 Spl OR .38 S&W)? I am almost certain you have a 5 screw, is there any reason you are hesitant to take the grips (handles) off?

The number inside the cylinder hinge is an assembly number, placed there to keep major pieces matched during assembly.

I do not know the significance of the "CN" prefix.

Where are you located?

Does it mean anything that my revolver is out of the number range? It says C330XXX on the butt, under the barrell it has the same number but a "CN" prefix (so CN330XXX) and by the cylinder hinge it has a totally different number. I believe it is a 5 screw but my handles cover up where one of the screws would be and I don't want to take them off. Also the gap between the C and the rest of the number is enormous if that means anything.

The five screws in the photo you referenced are the ones that count.

It seems like you have a S&W .38 Military & Police (Postwar) Pre-Model 10. In 1957 S&W started giving all of the guns model numbers. The Model 10 was one of their "bread and butter" guns, a terrific seller that many people still like.

As far as serial numbers, some people don't mind showing them online, some do. I usually don't becaue it's no one else's business. That's me.

I am still trying to work on what the "CN" meant, no luck yet.

Your probably looks a lot like this one, this dates to the month I was born.

SWGrips-1949.jpg

Is there a guide for the guns made post 1980? The gun I am researching is AAHXXXX, but rather than everyone asking for help and one person either racking their memory or referencing some chart, is there a chart that could be posted publicly?

Is there a guide for the guns made post 1980? The gun I am researching is AAHXXXX, but rather than everyone asking for help and one person either racking their memory or referencing some chart, is there a chart that could be posted publicly?

The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 3rd Edition has info up to 2006. Its considered the Bible of all things S&W.

AAHXXXX was made between Oct and Dec 1982

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Catalog-Smith-Wesson-ebook/dp/B007KSMOCC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1354755008&sr=8-8&keywords=standard+catalog+of+smith+%26+wesson

Last edited:
That's a very nice looking gun and indeed identical to mine except for finish, grips and barrel length (at least to my eye). I quite like 38s in snub nose like that. Is she a good shooter? Here are some pictures of my gun. I'm no whiz with the camera. I think I had too many drop lights going on here.

Upload picture doesn't seem to be working for me (can't click OK after pasting url) so I'll just paste links:
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b601/HugeSaladFork/SWRevRSide01.jpg
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b601/HugeSaladFork/SWRevLSide01.jpg
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b601/HugeSaladFork/SWRevBarrelSerial.jpg
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b601/HugeSaladFork/SWRevButtSerial.jpg

The CN looks a little like GN in picture 3. It's definitely CN; that is just a smudge.

So if it is Pre-Model, does that mean it was some sort of test run? Is the date probably 1955 or 1957?

No. No S&W (modern style) had a Model NUMBER until 1957. In 1957 they started giving them model numbers instead of names. This is a Military & Police model (as FPRICE stated) that was in full production since the 19 teens and more were made of them than about any other model. In 1957 they stopped calling them M&P and number them as the Model 10. Some people refer to it as a PRE-10.

It's an M&P (pre 10) but with out the full set of numbers, it's impossible to tell the year.

Post the whole number but put X's where the last 2 digits go if you won't post the whole thing.

I too don't know what a CN is.

The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 3rd Edition has info up to 2006. Its considered the Bible of all things S&W.

AAHXXXX was made between Oct and Dec 1982

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Catalog-Smith-Wesson-ebook/dp/B007KSMOCC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1354755008&sr=8-8&keywords=standard+catalog+of+smith+%26+wesson

while awaiting my S&W catalog.....I have an old S&W .38 5 shot top break revolver with the serial 93248 (best I can tell with 64 year old eyeballs) stamped on the butt. No other markings except the usuall S&W logo and patent stuff.....what is this thing called??

while awaiting my S&W catalog.....I have an old S&W .38 5 shot top break revolver with the serial 93248 (best I can tell with 64 year old eyeballs) stamped on the butt. No other markings except the usuall S&W logo and patent stuff.....what is this thing called??

It could be either a .38 Single Action Second Model (Model 2, 2nd Issue) from the late 1880's or a .38 Double Action 2nd Model from the early 1880's OR a .38 Safety Hammerless 3rd Model from the 1890's.

First question, does it have an exposed hammer?

It could be either a .38 Single Action Second Model (Model 2, 2nd Issue) from the late 1880's or a .38 Double Action 2nd Model from the early 1880's OR a .38 Safety Hammerless 3rd Model from the 1890's.

First question, does it have an exposed hammer?

it has a covered hammer & is double action. it is in very good condition......inherited from step father long ago (i'm 64)...........

At this point I would need a GOOD, detailed picture to go any further. Frome several angles preferably.

today I picked up a SW Model 24-6; one of the "Classics" Smith reintroduced and then discontinued this one. My SCSW 3rd edition is too early but it does appear in Smith's 2009 product guide. The serial number is DCF-4XXX. Anyone have any idea as to date of munufacture? Thanks.

heymoe9,

Looks like a very early (circa 1951 or 52?) .38 Chiefs Special (the pre-Model 36).

I want to say hello i haven't been here in a while. I collect C&R guns as most of you older guys will remember but now with the new grandson (2 1/2 yo now) i got into the turn of the century older 22 pumps and single shot rifles for him. Now i'm into the military training 22 rifles and the older S&W revolvers in 22cal and in 38 special. I have an interest in H&R & colt revolvers in 22cal too. I just browse till one catches my eye. Thanks again guys.

I hope this post becomes a sticky it will help me out with my collecting the older S&W revolvers.

Back
Top Bottom