How to get as close to a real MP5 as possible?

Yeah, completely obsoleted by 300blk. But definitely fun.

Maybe. Although I was watching Gun Stories with Joe Montegna last week and they had that APC9K thing that the .mil just "bought" for subgenus. THAT looked interesting. It APPEARS light. (Although a quick check online says it's in MP5 weight class.). Suppressor ready. I could see that giving any of this a run for it's money.

But I agree about 300BLK. You can run it supersonic and have a massive punch OR you can run it subsonic, have it relatively manageable and more oomph than a 9mm.

I've yet to bring my 300BLK upper to the range. Stupid of me, I know.

You can buy like 4 stribogs for the cost of an mp5... just saying and you'll hate pcc's just as much when your done with them
Except that a stribog is dog meat and uses mags nobody sells. If it doesn’t take uzi/mp5/skorp/glock mags then good luck with that. Blech. About the only gun worth breaking that convention for is the Sig. but those mags are brutal.

I've yet to bring my 300BLK upper to the range. Stupid of me, I know.
It is interesting that big Army is finally getting back into the subgun game.

And I get not bringing a 300blk upper to the range with the current ammo situation. I brought my new build to zero the other day, but apparently my blue loctite wasn’t good enough on my red dot (switched to Holosun 507) and after 6 rounds of chasing a zero, the optic fell off. First time that’s ever happened. I should have used vibratite to start. Man, 6 rounds of Barnes 110 TSX wasted.

To keep this 300BLK talk on topic. 9” is a great barrel length for “subguns”
244A96BF-C1DA-413F-8960-AD51F720EBCC.jpeg
Anyone seriously shopping for an sp5 or sp5k isn't realistically going to have that itch scratched with a 300BLK gun.
Yeah, sorry about the thread drift. But the 300blk comment was in relation to Cam’s military use of the MP5.

If a thread ain't drifting it's not living up to its full potential. And the 300BLK/556 SBR point is more than valid, but reason and practicality aren't always the deciding factors in these decisions. Besides, you can always just get both. [smile]

If a thread ain't drifting it's not living up to its full potential. And the 300BLK/556 SBR point is more than valid, but reason and practicality aren't always the deciding factors in these decisions. Besides, you can always just get both. [smile]
[smile] Reason and practicality go out the window for nearly every MP5/clone purchase. Emotion driven all the way!

Depends what you're trying to do. Collecting(or flexing on the poors)? Go for an SP89 or a 94. Want to fool around with roller lock? PTR or one of the SW et al clones. The insufferable HK fanbois(I'm allowed to say it since I am a big fan of their handguns) will scoff at you with a PTR and the welded rail but as was said above F the claw mount.

I have a practical reason: To buy every gun from Die Hard.
I had that same thought until I looked at P7M13 (chrome!) prices. Then I figured screw that maybe I can get all the guns from Boys in the Hood or something, not realizing the dad in that movie has a Python! I then stopped wanting to own movie guns [laugh]

I had that same thought until I looked at P7M13 (chrome!) prices. Then I figured screw that maybe I can get all the guns from Boys in the Hood or something, not realizing the dad in that movie has a Python! I then stopped wanting to own movie guns [laugh]

I'm very far behind on my endeavor for this very reason. It's no cheap effort to pick up that pistol, an Aug, and an MP5, not to mention all the more misc guns. And if you think the P7M13 is pricey, take a look at porcelain Glock 7 prices.

Depends what you're trying to do. Collecting(or flexing on the poors)? Go for an SP89 or a 94. Want to fool around with roller lock? PTR or one of the SW et al clones. The insufferable HK fanbois(I'm allowed to say it since I am a big fan of their handguns) will scoff at you with a PTR and the welded rail but as was said above F the claw mount.

Eh, it's a nice option to be able to remove the rail altogether. You can always get an RMR mount for the rear sight drum base.

(not my gun)

1614187495512.png

Last edited:
Eh, it's a nice option to be able to remove the rail altogether. You can always get an RMR mount for the rear sight drum base. And best of all you don't have a PTR at the end of the day. :D
Buddy of mine has a Zenith and we always enjoy ganging up on our HK purist friend with several jabs about the Turks easily replicating the Kraut space magic even though they've just recently figured out the opposable thumbs thing. The SOT crowd trolls the HK groups from time to time since so many of them postie the PTR, so when the HK guys scoff and harrumph one of them will post a bunch of mag dumps with a PTR + giggle pack and the "yeah but" comments start. All in good fun and the tables turn when they start making fun of the squeeze cockers and get my dander up.

I did just see the Century imported MKEs are going for 2800 :oops:

Buddy of mine has a Zenith and we always enjoy ganging up on our HK purist friend with several jabs about the Turks easily replicating the Kraut space magic even though they've just recently figured out the opposable thumbs thing. The SOT crowd trolls the HK groups from time to time since so many of them postie the PTR, so when the HK guys scoff and harrumph one of them will post a bunch of mag dumps with a PTR + giggle pack and the "yeah but" comments start. All in good fun and the tables turn when they start making fun of the squeeze cockers and get my dander up.

I did just see the Century imported MKEs are going for 2800 :oops:

Damn. $2800 for a clone.

I'm not above clones - I have an SW5 after all - but it definitely lacks the magic and doesn't satisfy my inner fanboi. Plus I suspect my P7 teases it mercilessly after I close the safe door.

Except that a stribog is dog meat and uses mags nobody sells. If it doesn’t take uzi/mp5/skorp/glock mags then good luck with that. Blech. About the only gun worth breaking that convention for is the Sig. but those mags are brutal.
There are a few companies making Stribog lowers that take various different magazines including some you mentioned now. I am not sure if it's a great option but it is an option.

Damn. $2800 for a clone.

I'm not above clones - I have an SW5 after all - but it definitely lacks the magic and doesn't satisfy my inner fanboi. Plus I suspect my P7 teases it mercilessly after I close the safe door.
I've got a Bobcat inbound to play with, we'll see how it runs. Got 2 guys already trying to buy it sight unseen so it seems the popularity is definitely still there even among all the available PCC options.

I have an SP89 and it appreciated like bitcoin. Too bad, because now I don't want to shoot it.

PCCs are gay when you can build an AR 'pistol'

Lol, what difference does it make?

You're basically screwing yourself by buying anything other than a PTR9.

You will be like "why the f*** did I do this" when you decide you want to put an optic on it, and you're stuck with that stupid f***ing claw mount. [rofl]

It's never going to be "legit" anyways (according to the HK fags) unless all the rollmarks are all in the right spot and shit anyways.

Not true at all. Just even more expensive. People build SBRs out of them on the reg.
Dakota tactical is lightyears better than the PTR and has a welded rail.

Lingle Industries makes a lower for the stribog that takes CZ mags. Stribog Scorpion Lower

1614194575454.png

That's good to know, the existence of that makes that platform monumentally less dumb.
the A3 version is nice. I've shot a bunch of them when doing product development work. We had an apc 9, scorpion, mpx, stribog, and a cmmg banshee. Ironically the one I liked the least was the B&T which was also the most expensive.

also there are other stribog lowers.

1614197832507.png

It can be done but it costs a lot. An SP89 can be converted to MP5 specs by someone who really really knows what they are doing. It’s just about long wait and a crazy amount of money to do it right with all factory German parts. I had this done years ago and it was expensive then. Just get an HK94, have paddle mag release installed, swap in clipped / pinned Navy ambi lower with FBI semi ambi pack, add barrel shroud and enjoy. Unless you have a sear you really won’t know the difference.

The problem is that after you spend however many thousand an SP89 costs these days you don’t have the heart to start messing with it to convert it.

The problem is that after you spend however many thousand an SP89 costs these days you don’t have the heart to start messing with it to convert it.
If you don’t care about a collapsible/folding stock, then it is surprisingly much cheaper to get an SP5 and SBR it. Even if you pay stupid high gunbroker prices.

People don't even shoot SP89 anymore they basically rot/collect dust in people's safes. It sadly turned into a collector only gun.

Back
Top Bottom