• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to get an unrestricted LTC in Newton

KRL

I'm not sure if this was discussed previously, but I recently found out about the Newton department's policy (whether written or not) on issuing unrestricted LTCs. I've had one for a number of years, and I've tried to write in ALP when I reapplied, to no avail. Then about 6 months ago I found out that after about 1 year of having a restricted LTC you can submit a note to the department asking for an unrestricted LTC. Whether this is a new policy, I don't know. It did take them 5 months to process it, and they did ask me whether I want to apply at renewal or in the middle of the current term (I applied immediately). All it took was a short note, and I was just informed that the new license is available for pickup.

Kon

I think it is important to specify simply "All lawful purposes" and nothing more than that when you apply. If you specify any other 'reasons' that are more specific, they may be used to restrict your license (e.g., if you say you're interested in hunting, they will use that as a reason to add that to your restrictions). And yes, from what I have observed, they do not grant unrestricted licenses to first time applicants, but do seem to grant them if requested, upon renewal of some kind.

Good luck!
I don't live in Newton anymore, but when I did, I had unrestricted for 15 years.
That was until that douchebag Cordero became chief, then when I went to renew, they DOWNGRADED me to T&H.
Cordero has been gone a long time, but the guy who became licensing officer on his watch is still there, and he still carries out the policies instituted under Cordero of denying and downgrading everyone possible.

[angry2]

They also told me that new applicants wont get ALP. They also said "after a while" write a letter stating you want unrestricted and you'll get it. They did not give me a time frame of about 1 year like you did. I was told I would not have to pay again because it's not a renewal. Did you have to pay again?

Cheapest way to get an unrestricted in Newton.......

Last edited by a moderator:
So they extort you for double the fee and then give you the license you should have originally received?

Where the hell do you see that? A changing of restrictions does not require a new application. It is a change in the computer system, that's all.

From Streeter? 14 days.

I think you have the wrong Streeter and the wrong Newton! They took 23 days with one of ours (violation #1), demanded a driver's license to photocopy "for the file" (#2), set an expiration date outside our month of birth at least four years after issuance (#'s 3 & 4), twice sent letters directing me to reapply for a license that had three years remaining until expiration when we moved into town (#'s 5 & 6). It is apparently department policy to violate the statutes of the State of New Hampshire. They were recently sued for violations by an applicant who's license was neither issued nor denied after 73 days and ordered to pay the plaintiff's attorney fees of over $7,000. I'm betting that ended up on my property tax bill. All these policies do conform to Massachusetts laws, so the question is; which state's laws are being enforced in New Hampshire by those whose sworn duty it is to enforce the laws of New Hampshire?

So they extort you for double the fee and then give you the license you should have originally received?

If they are, then it's a Newton thing. A friend of mine in a different town wrote a letter to the chief and about a week later he got his unrestricted license. No additional fee. I think someone else pointed out that it's just an administrative change done on the computer and the state generates a new license.

A friend of mine got his restriction lifted in Newton after taking the NRA instructor course and sending a well-written letter to the chief. We were surprised when he got it shortly thereafter with no hassle.

If they are, then it's a Newton thing. A friend of mine in a different town wrote a letter to the chief and about a week later he got his unrestricted license. No additional fee. I think someone else pointed out that it's just an administrative change done on the computer and the state generates a new license.

Correct.

Not to say that some towns don't make it difficult and force someone to pay again, go thru all the 3-6 month wait/background check, etc. . . . just because they "can" in MA. Each chief makes his/her own "rules" and could care less about MGL as nobody is gong to prosecute the chief/PD . . . most folks are too scared to even ask questions never mind actually face off a chief and accuse them of improper use of authority plus no recovery of significant legal fees in doing so.

I think you have the wrong Streeter and the wrong Newton! They took 23 days with one of ours (violation #1), demanded a driver's license to photocopy "for the file" (#2), set an expiration date outside our month of birth at least four years after issuance (#'s 3 & 4), twice sent letters directing me to reapply for a license that had three years remaining until expiration when we moved into town (#'s 5 & 6). It is apparently department policy to violate the statutes of the State of New Hampshire. They were recently sued for violations by an applicant who's license was neither issued nor denied after 73 days and ordered to pay the plaintiff's attorney fees of over $7,000. I'm betting that ended up on my property tax bill. All these policies do conform to Massachusetts laws, so the question is; which state's laws are being enforced in New Hampshire by those whose sworn duty it is to enforce the laws of New Hampshire?
Streeter was Chief in Salisbury, MA prior to coming to Newton. Town chiefs in ban states tend to believe that only police should possess firearms, and they come from a tradition in which police are not really subject to laws. You see this with big city police chiefs (Boston, NY, Chicago) and among their rank and file. County police (Sheriffs), being elected, follow the political winds and tend to lean toward what is supported in their counties. Following the lawsuit, Streeter lightened up, probably out of self-preservation. I had no issues with my LTC application and was not asked to provide phone numbers for references as is being done in other NH towns.

On the Newton, NH police website it says "All applicants will be subject to a criminal record check and subsequently must be approved by the Chief of Police to be a suitable person to be licensed. The fee for the permit is $10.00." Is the "suitable" part even legal in NH?

Don't you either pass or fail the background check and they "shall issue" if you pass!?!?

On the Newton, NH police website it says "All applicants will be subject to a criminal record check and subsequently must be approved by the Chief of Police to be a suitable person to be licensed. The fee for the permit is $10.00." Is the "suitable" part even legal in NH?

Don't you either pass or fail the background check and they "shall issue" if you pass!?!?
Yep. The language on the PD website is meaningless. They seem to be following NH law now.

Newton, MA has a new chief after the previous one was fired few months ago. Also, it looks like the licensing officer is on the way out as a result of his role in the scandal that led to the chief's termination.

He Resigned last week.
I also had restrictions on my license, the lic officer told me to right a letter after two years holding a resticted lic, which I did and they approved it and reissued my lic. with no restrictions and no cost. this took about 3 weeks.
Newton, MA has a new chief after the previous one was fired few months ago. Also, it looks like the licensing officer is on the way out as a result of his role in the scandal that led to the chief's termination.

Not necessarily. It may be a "Better the Devil you know than the Devil you don't" case.

very true

when I went for an interview years ago I mentioned the name to a relative and she says, "that guy is a cop? he used to sit behind me in 2nd grade and tease me--he put gum in my hair. "

then when he left his $120k job for not wanting to answer the tough questions like, "were you present when senior staff called a pregnant woman a 'fat slut'?" he resigned.

what does that tell you?

I'm not an overly politically correct person but when management talks to young recruits like that there's a serious problem. It's not the same as locker room banter.

EDIT: actually neither left, they're burning their "accrued time with pay" and then are expected to resign "before fall"--unbelievable. The fired chief could collect over $100k a year for life in retirement.

Last edited:
When I applied and got my LTC in Newton I was also told to come back in about a year and if I had "stayed out of trouble" would get my restriction lifted. So, it seems, at least at that time, that this is the policy.

When I applied and got my LTC in Newton I was also told to come back in about a year and if I had "stayed out of trouble" would get my restriction lifted. So, it seems, at least at that time, that this is the policy.

they read me the same riot act, which makes zero sense. they issue you a license that lets you buy and use firearms, yet somehow you're not trustworthy enough to actually carry them loaded. then after a year or two by not "getting into trouble" with them, you've proven yourself somehow competent to carry them in public.

I guess I was just lucky to get out of there without being called a "fat slut"

lol!

For those interested my friend (DTK on NES) who was given a restricted license last April called and was told to submit a written request and they'd lift the restrictions. Seems the new chief is much more reasonable than the scumbag they had before.

Mike

For those interested my friend (DTK on NES) who was given a restricted license last April called and was told to submit a written request and they'd lift the restrictions. Seems the new chief is much more reasonable than the scumbag they had before.

Mike

Do you think a 1 - 2 sentance, straight-to-the-point, letter would be fine?

I made my letter a bit more formal then just a 2 liner.

I made sure to point out my knowledge and respect, as well as whatever "experience" I've had over the past 15 months of possessing my license.

I'm expecting to hear back in a week or two.

Back
Top Bottom