How to get a machinegun license in MA?

Hi all,

I tried a bunch of searches, but came up empty-handed. Kind of surprised this isn't a sticky. Sorry if this has been asked before...

What are all of the steps required to get a license and then legally acquire and own fully automatic weapons? I gather that there are federal and state requirements? I don't have the ca$h to run out and get one anyway right now, but wouldn't mind commencing the licensing process before Deval gets in there.

Thanks!

Bob

1. Convince the localk chief that youare a bona fide collector or LEO trainer. CMRs establish that an 03 FFL (C&R) is evidence of status as a bona fide collector.

2. Realize that the courts have regularly held you are not a collector unless the police chief thinks you are. The CMR should have remedied this, however, I doubt you'll find any district courts overturning a green card (MA machine gun license) denial

3. Once you have the MA MGL get the ATF 04 form signed off by your local chief approving the transfer ($200 tax involved) of a machine gun. If the chief won't sign, you can always form a trust or incorporate but you will be required to have the corporation or trust own the weapon.

4. Be prepared to spend a LOT. Since the number of civilian transferrable full autos was frozen in May 1986, the price premium has gone through the roof. Expect to pay $12K and up for a beat up full auto version of an AR15 that would sell for less than $1K new. If you can find a registered autosear alone, that tiny part will set you back thousands.

Thanks, Rob. How long is a MA MGL good for, and how much does it cost?

So, there's no federal MGL, only a BATFE form used when making transfers?

So, there's no federal MGL, only a BATFE form used when making transfers?
That's correct. Expect to wait for a number of months after submitting your Form 4 and $200 to the BATF before you get your excise tax stamp. And you'll have to go through this same charade for each MG you buy.

That's correct. Expect to wait for a number of months after submitting your Form 4 and $200 to the BATF before you get your excise tax stamp. And you'll have to go through this same charade for each MG you buy.

That's fine. I have no immediate (or even not-so-immediate) plans to buy anything, but I would like to get the permitting process squared away.

MA Machine Gun License costs $100 for 6 years. Same form as used for MA LTC. MANY chiefs outright refuse to issue MGLs, so I'd setup an appointment and ask him first, rather than wasting $100 and your time to find out that it's hopeless.

Care and feeding of mgs tends to skyrocket, especially with ammo prices jumping 5-7% every few months.

MA Machine Gun License costs $100 for 6 years. Same form as used for MA LTC. MANY chiefs outright refuse to issue MGLs, so I'd setup an appointment and ask him first, rather than wasting $100 and your time to find out that it's hopeless.

Care and feeding of mgs tends to skyrocket, especially with ammo prices jumping 5-7% every few months.

Thanks, LenS. Yeah, I'm not all excited about it or anything and have no real plans to own anything full auto, but if the right deal on the right gun came my way, I would consider it, especially US military stuff. It'd be fun to drag out and run a few rounds through every now and then.

The main thing is that I want to be licensed as fully, and for as much different fun gun stuff, as I can.

don't wish to dash your hopes but my brother in law when he was a state trooper applied for a MG license he got turned.
If they don't trust Ma troopers who will they trust?

don't wish to dash your hopes but my brother in law when he was a state trooper applied for a MG license he got turned.

Was that because of the local chief saying no, or the state?

Well, according to the letter of the law you have to be a "Collector". Usually
a Federal Type 03 C+R license satisfies that requirement.

I have talked to a few people about this issue and the response from the
local PD varies between the following 3 outcomes:

-Not a chance in hell! (Probably half the state?)
-Yes, but only with a C+R.
-Sure, no problem. (rare, but not impossible. ).

Problem is theres no "chart" to determine MG issuance
rate by town... but It'd be a safe bet that any town that issues
restricted LTC's of any kind will not likely issue an MG license
to anyone, under any circumstance.

-Mike

I have one. I got my C&R license first, as mentioned above (without it, I would not have had a chance). My town has an officer who takes care of all firearms licensing. I met with him and I asked to speak with the Chief personally regarding an MG license. We set up an appointment and I discussed who I was, the training I've had, why I wanted MG's, etc. I was the first person to approach this Chief about getting a machine gun license. There were already two other people in my town who have them, and yes they are both Police officers.

He thought about it for a while and said he would agree to give me one on two conditions:
1. I had to get a letter from a Physician saying I wasn't crazy
2. The Sergeant had to inspect where I would store them to make sure it seemed secure enough.

The more Libertarian-minded among you may think my privacy was violated, which it was to some degree. But it was worth it to me, because I am now one of the few machine gun owners in MA. There are three MG license holders in my town-- two Cops and lil' ol' me. [smile]

My limited understanding is that having a mg means that BATFE can come in and "inspect" your premises or question you about the gun any time they want to, without a warrant!

Never bothered to check if it was true or not, but that would be a deal-breaker for me.

My limited understanding is that having a mg means that BATFE can come in and "inspect" your premises or question you about the gun any time they want to, without a warrant!

Never bothered to check if it was true or not, but that would be a deal-breaker for me.

Doesn't having a C&R allow feds to do that?

Doesn't having a C&R allow feds to do that?

When I got my form, I went Downtown to the O'Neill Federal Bldg and talked with a BATFE agent. That was the first question that I asked him! The answer was as Emoto posted (thank you) . . . otherwise I would NEVER have filed the application for a C&R. LEOs are welcome in my home as friends and guests . . . if they want to search my home, they'll need a warrant!

Back
Top Bottom