How to Fix AR Mag Body?

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
I received some used AR mags and decided to pull them apart to clean them and maybe replace components as required. On one mag I could just barely get the follower to go more than halfway down the body. I finally got it and the spring out, examined the mag body and discovered that it had a very slight elongated dent in one side. You can barely see it unless you are looking but it is enough to hinder the follower and prevent more than 8 or 10 rounds from being loaded. And tragically the body otherwise is in almost LNIB shape.

Any ideas how to push this dent out and straighten the sidewall?

Thanks.

Everyone I know just buys a new one... You might be able to file it down.... Not responsible if it makes it worse.

Might be able to push the dent out with a screwdriver. I need to fix some bent feed lips on a couple of prebans, myself.

Not sure how to get the dent out without seeing the mag, but an alternative could be cutting a small notch in the follower where it hangs up on the dent.

Everyone I know just buys a new one...

Yeah... but that takes the challenge out of it.

I'm stubborn that way myself... "I'll make this damn thing work one way or another even if it isn't worth the time or effort". [smile]

Might be able to push the dent out with a screwdriver. I need to fix some bent feed lips on a couple of prebans, myself.

I was thinking a screwdriver or some other tool which I could fit inside and apply pressure. Just wanted to check and see if there were a simpler way I hadn't thought of.

Thanks.

Yeah... but that takes the challenge out of it.

I'm stubborn that way myself... "I'll make this damn thing work one way or another even if it isn't worth the time or effort".

That's kinda the way I am many times. Glad to see there are others around like that.

[smile]

Just a thought...

Two flat metal bars and a C-clamp. Sandwich the dent with the bars and then squeeze with clamp.

That'll work if the dent is close enough to the opening.

Otherwise you'd need a really deep reaching C-clamp.

Or, insert metal block sized to fit between mag walls in fron bottom, slide up to dent, flare mag body to allow dent to rest on block, place mag on anvil (or top of a closed vise ?) and tap with hammer.

If you get frustrated, continue hitting mag with hammer.

You'll ruin the mag but you'll feel better. [smile]

Good luck !

if this is something you are using for real world defensive applications and placing the welfare of you, your family or co-workers on, throw it out.

Rebuild kit?

What is the defining component of a mag? Is it the floor plate or the body or both? What parts can be replaced and it still considered the original mag?

I think this question can be expressed as an analogy:

serial numbered lower:ar-15 as XXXX:ar-15 magazine

If someone can find me the section of Mass law that outlaws mag bodies as part of a "rebuild kit", I'd love to see it.

Frosty - I like Mr. Twiggs idea and like you - I'd rather try fixing it first. I had two mags that would not fit loosely into my old Colt and following the advice of an armorer, whacked them with a 2x4 on the rib and upper flat side - worked like a charm.

If all else fails, buy a rebuild kit and keep the old mag body in a toolbox....

Back
Top Bottom