How to do a pistol transfer to CT?

Hi,

I've had a pistol permit for over 3 months now and am thinking of purchasing a pistol from out of state (and then sent to CT).

That being said, can someone tell me whether my reading of the rules is correct?

- First, I fax a FFL's license from CT to the seller/FFL in the other state
- They send the pistol to CT...this is where confusion comes in. Since I have already purchased my firearm from this person from this other state, where do the DPS-67-C and DPS-3-C come into play? Do I have to send both forms to the seller out of state to fill out or is the "seller" information actually the CT FFL?
- Are there any wait times for purchases in CT. I have a state pistol permit, just want to make sure that is ALL I need to have pistols sent to CT for me to pick up.

Sorry if the questions are confusing. My experience with selling/buying my pistols was when I lived in New Mexico...where (excluding the usual Federal form 4473) there is pretty much no paperwork involved.

Thanks!

the FFLs are doing a transfer between dealers. Typically the FFL in your home state will just act as a paper pushing station before releasing it to you and collect a nominal fee (Varies wildly so look around if you don't have a tight relationship with one yet). By shipping to your FFL the origional seller is assured they have remained above board within the law and all the proper federal and state rules are adhered to.

So the seller will be the CT FFL even though you have paid someone else.
If your CT CCW is valid the FFL will call the state and verify it, get a transaction id record# for his books and you will be on your way to the range. no waiting.

Congratulations and Let me know if i can help more.

Botom line is that it is not your problem. You will be paying an FFL to handle the transfer into CT.

You just need to provide your local FFL with the shipping FFL's contact info.

Typically,
contact name/companyname/address
Phone
email
fax
Your local FFL will handle it like its a local sale when he transfers to you. He will follow all applicable state and local laws, just as if he sold you the gun.

Back
Top Bottom