• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to "dispose" of Post-Ban Hi Cap mags?

TBalls

NES Member
Just this morning I had a private range session with a student who had a Glock 23. It was a 2nd gen factory refurb, seemed to be in great shape. However, when he pulled out his 13rd mags, I immediately noticed the ambidextrous mag cutouts and informed him of the concern.
My question is, for the sake of absolute clarity were there ever pre-ban Glock mags with ambi cutouts? (I know the answer, but would like confirmation from a more knowledgeable Glockaholic).

How would this individual "unload" the mags without getting himself in trouble? Could he sell them to a dealer? Sell to someone north of the border?

In case anyone is wondering, this individual is from NH, but currently a MA resident (properly licensed, etc.) and he purchased the gun & mags at a MA dealer who told him they were fine. [shocked] I suppose I don't necessarily expect dealers to be any more familiar with MA laws than LEOs, but this is concerning. I would have though the part of the AWB pertaining to mags is pretty clear.

You guys need to relax. The AWB is in fact in effect and possessing certain things is in fact illegal. Your chances of getting caught/prosecuted are minimal, and though serious, I RESTATE minimal. Be smart and get rid of what you shouldn't have, and at the very least don't post about it on the internet. I know this is NES and sometimes people get caught up with the tinfoil, but the world is not in fact out to get you. Possible ideas: leave the mags with a friend in NH, ask an FFL if he will take a trade, go back to the shop and request they trade the mags for 10 rounders or pre-bans, ask an ffl to put them on consignment, or the NES thing, post about it on the internet, and then burn them in a wood stove.

WRT to the dealer knowing the law... nobody but lawyers are lawyers, and even at that great lawyers might no squat about gun laws. Often the only way to know how a law works for certain is for it to go to court. The AWB is clear in MOST regards, but like many other gun laws, a gun dealer has no requirement to know or understand it. Unless you are certain of the law you shouldn't be informing others of anything anyway. Hell, in theory the AWB may not stand up as a reasonable restriction vs common use.

Yes people should be aware of gun laws and the AWB, but also be realistic about the "ambi mag cut outs" giving you away before you have a chance to swap/trade the mags, if you do so at all. Sure you can live your life like that, but I think you'll find it easier to save the stress for the things you should be stressing about.

Mike

Last edited:
Toss it in the river.

This. The river will become illegal because it possesses post ban Glock mag. It will be illegal to conduct any activities such as swimming, boating and fishing. :-(.

Sent from my broken iPhone.

FWIW, I realized the ridiculous nature of this thread mere moments after posting it. I simply wanted to do right by this particular individual and inform him of the possible repercussions of what he had in his possession, and how to mitigate any risk (real &/or perceived).

The reasonable/convenient solution became immediately obvious; my apologies. Flame on.

They don't "register" mags, so sell/give them to whoever in NH or Maine who would be glad to have them. Or, bury them in a PVC pipe in the ground until the zombies come out.

Put them in deep storage, keep proof of the former NH residence, and wait for the stupid AWB to be overthrown. If he doesn't do anything stupid to be caught with them then there should be nothing to worry about.

Easiest thing for him to do is bring them to a dealer in NH and trade them in for something else. Maybe 10 rounders or mags for another gun he has? A long time ago, a friend of mine had this "problem". I gave him an address to a dealer I work with up there, and he threw them in the mail instead of destroying them. Then the next time I was at said dealer, I brought him back 1 "obvious" preban and a couple of used, but decent 10 rounders.

There's no need for pant s**ting hysterics, regardless. The earth isn't going to implode because someone unknowingly brought an illegal mag into the state. Hell, Smith and Wesson used to send illegal mags to people all the time- at which point the person just put them in the box and sent them back, or sent them to a friend in a free state.

-Mike

I am not a lawyer, and as such, my advice should not be taken as proper legal knowledge...that said,

I believe that Glock's position is that there is no way for them to tell if a mag is "pre-ban" or "post ban". So if the company that makes the mags cant tell you when they were made, a cop, DA, or judge wouldn't be able to tell either

Last edited:
I am not a lawyer, and as such, my advice should not be taken as proper legal knowledge...that said,

I believe that Glock's position is that there is no way for them to tell if a mag is "pre-ban" or "post ban". So if the company that makes the mags cant tell you when they were made, a cop, DA, or judge wouldn't be able to tell either
While true for older magazines, the newer Gen4 magazines have an extra cut in the magazine body for the ambidextrous release that clear distinguishes them from all prior magazines:
Gen4mag.jpg

While true for older magazines, the newer Gen4 magazines have an extra cut in the magazine body for the ambidextrous release that clear distinguishes them from all prior magazines:
View attachment 20700

I learned something new today. . . maybe I need to get a Gen 4 glock....There's a gun show today and tomorrow and I've seen new 27s for around $450 there

He can legally own pre-ban magazines, just cannot possess them inside of Massachusetts. But he was a fool for moving into MA without knowing what he was getting himself into.

Back
Top Bottom