• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to dispose of bad ammo?

After we put my dad in a nursing home a few months ago, we came across a bunch of old ammo he had, some of which is clearly corroded and I wouldn't even think about firing. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what would be the best (and of course legal) way to dispose of it?

Sorry to hear about your Dad being in a nursing home, thats a tough thing. As far as old ammo is concerned, I would bring it to the range and put it in the dud bucket. Might be the easiest and safest way to responsibly get rid of the ammo.

Some of it may have value to a collector. HS Trading in Auburn MA has an interesting assortment of stuff like that in one corner of the shop. Maybe give them a call and see if they have any interest. Rich is on the boards here, I think, but I don't recall his username.

Sorry to hear about your Dad being in a nursing home, thats a tough thing. As far as old ammo is concerned, I would bring it to the range and put it in the dud bucket. Might be the easiest and safest way to responsibly get rid of the ammo.
Excellent suggestion, thanks! Embarrassed I didn't think of it! ;)

Yeah, it was tough, but he's actually doing really well there. Even if the stroke hadn't made his right side pretty much useless, he was not doing a good job of taking care of himself before hand, keeping up with his meds, etc. Fortunately he still has all his marbles so that makes it a lot easier to still have meaningful conversations with him.

If there is any substantial amount of it, give it to someone on this board who reloads.

Almost any ammo, corroded or not can be pulled apart for components, those components cleaned and then reassembled.

Posting a picture or two of it would be useful in guiding your decision.

Some of it may have value to a collector. HS Trading in Auburn MA has an interesting assortment of stuff like that in one corner of the shop. Maybe give them a call and see if they have any interest. Rich is on the boards here, I think, but I don't recall his username.

mpoc17

The absolute worst and last resort. Never get the police involved when its completely unnecessary. Never!

What, you think they're going to interrogate you ?

It's stupid and probably illegal to toss it in the trash.

Just telling you what I'd do myself.

There are times to be paranoid - turning in old corroded ammo isn't one of them.

There are times to be paranoid - turning in old corroded ammo isn't one of them.

No one is telling him to throw it in the trash. There are so many other things to do with it, then call the police. Call the police for old ammo? really?

Something tells me you are destined to learn the simplest lessons in life, the hardest ways possible.

Its ammo, its not nuclear waste, or high explosive. The stuff ships through common carriers with the same ORM-D hazard warning on it as mouthwash or windshield washer fluid.

I'm taking a buddy to the range next week so the dud bucket is the easiest and seems the most sensible. It's nothing special, just a handful of .22 and .25 rounds with some nasty scale on them. I do have a variety of other stuff that I'll probably offer up in the classifieds at some point down the road.

Thanks for the replies!

Someone said toss it in the trash, how irresponsible is that? Dropping it in a fire would be much more fun! Now in all honesty the components are worth something to someone who reloads like myself. In leu of that, what caliber/s?

Chuck it out your car window as you drive by a local school.

Watch the evening news for all the fun and hilarity that follows.

Know that at least you got some enjoyment out of watching your tax dollars get pissed away.

- - - Updated - - -

Evenly distribute in front of schools in your area, watch hilarity ensue.

Dammit - should have read the whole thread.

Beat me to it.

If you have a oil furnace in your basement, they all came with incinerator ports on the front. Slide it open while the burner is on, and slip them into the furnace one by one and the will safely melt away.

Back
Top Bottom