• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to determine MOA capability

Hey all- this is an extremely basic question-

What is the standard method for determining your new rifle's grouping? Do you put it in a vice on a bench rest? Or just try *really* hard to keep it steady and aim at the same spot? ;)

If it requires any equipment, do ranges usually have it for you to borrow?

If possible, please post a pic of whatever method/setup is used, so I'll have some visuals to go with the description.

Thanks so much as always for your help!

-ZA

I don't know if there is a standard method.

Myself... I use a Caldwell rifle rest up front and leather rabbit ear bag on the buttstock.

I'll fire 5 round shot groups, measure from the outermost edge of the holes farthest apart with a pair of calipers, deduct the diameter of the bullet.
(I cheat and ignore any flyers [wink] )

I'll shoot 5-7 groups to get an average MOA.

For most rifles, people do just as the previous poster said. Putting it on a bench removes most of the human-induced error, and can give you a pretty good idea of the rifles capbility. You must count all the flyers!
If the rifle is meant to be used in Highpower, you really have to go prone, sling up tight and shoot it, because that is how the rifle is going to be shot. Ten shot groups are the norm. I cheat and put on a scope and use a small bag under my foreward hand.

ZainAnak make sure you use quality match ammo.

The rifle will only shoot as good as the stuff you put in to it. The rifle may be sub MOA but if the ammo is crap and inconsistent the rifle will shoot like crap.

The other thing I would add is to make sure to shoot realistic numbers of shots.

If it is a hunting rifle, three shots should be good with emphasis on where the first shot goes. With target rifles shoot a group that represents a string of fire for the event. For high power I would recommend ten shot strings.

B

+1 on what Derek said....If you shoot something like Wolf your going to be disappointed...also make sure your gun is properly cleaned before hitting the range.

LL

There is at least one other point: if your purpose is to test the machine accuracy (technically, repeatability) of the rifle, you should put about three rounds into the backstop in the course of one minute, and then leave a fixed and consistent amount of time, less than 1 minute, between the "record" rounds. If your purpose is to sight a hunting rifle, you should fire the first record round "cold" and then let at least 5 minutes elapse between rounds. Obviously, the amount of residual heat in the barrel after the prior round has an effect on where the barrel is pointing.

Back
Top Bottom