How to determine dominant eye.

Pilgrims Pride

NES Member
Took my boy shooting again.
This time with the ruger mkII and he is hitting a 4" steel plate at about 50'.
He is only 9 and he just started shooting so we go for making noise more than hitting paper.
HE LOVES IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway, Can someone please remind me how to determine which eye he's using?
To watch him it looks like his left eye, but he insist he uses the right.
I am going to start working on proper technique and I want to be sure he gets what he needs.

Thanks,

Bob

Make a small hole with your two hands so you can see thru it. Focus on something far away and while maintaining focus on the object slowly bring hands toward you. The hole should end up over your dominant eye.

Remember this one?

Point at something in the distance with both eyes open. Close one eye at a time without moving your pointer hand. The eye which still sees the pointed target in "sight" is the dominant one.

Make a small hole with your two hands so you can see thru it. Focus on something far away and while maintaining focus on the object slowly bring hands toward you. The hole should end up over your dominant eye.
That's the technique taught by the NRA. It's worked in every class that I've taught.

That's the technique taught by the NRA. It's worked in every class that I've taught.

Yep. It's pretty much foolproof.

As a note, my son is left-handed but has started shooting right-handed because he is right-eye dominant.

He also tells me that he started batting right-handed over the Summer. [Sigh.]

For a 9 year old, I'd say tell him to pretend he's playing cops and robbers. Ask him to make a gun symbol with his hand and point it at the bad guy (any stationary target in the yard or house). Then tell him to keep his hand in that same position and ask him to close his right eye, followed by left eye and ask which eye sees the finger on the target w/out it being blurry or off center (point of aim). [wink]
Worked for my wife.

For a 9 year old, I'd say tell him to pretend he's playing cops and robbers. Ask him to make a gun symbol with his hand and point it at the bad guy (any stationary target in the yard or house). Then tell him to keep his hand in that same position and ask him to close his right eye, followed by left eye and ask which eye sees the finger on the target w/out it being blurry or off center (point of aim). [wink]
Worked for my wife.

I don't think hey are allowed to play those games any more. It is now a game of Jack Booted Thug vs Underprivileged Urban Youth.[rolleyes]

Both eyes open point at an object...light swtch or something. Close one eye.....if your perfectly on your target that's your dominant eye....if not close that eye and open the other....if that's right on....and it should be.....that's your dominant eye. If not....shoot with both eyes open.

He's nine ......... tell him to shoot with both eye's open! Remind him the object is to hit the target. With any luck he won't have a dominant eye.

In all seriousness, I have been told it is best to have them sight with both eyes at this age, as it develops better skills. Why spoil it for him and explain that one eye is dominant. [smile]

Remember this one?

I just finished doing the above with a couple friends who I was teaching to shoot. Luckily, they were same side dominant (which makes it a little easier). And age doesn't matter - young ones also have a dominant eye. I saw my nephew, who was two at the time, close his left eye to look through a telescope.

Back
Top Bottom