• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to buy a Glock 17

What is better about Canik than Glocks?

Not trying to start an argument, serious question to learn.
  • excellent trigger. flat trigger resets at exactly 90 degrees. reset is short and very crisp. You can get the same in a Glock but that requires more $$$ for triggers and such.
  • comes with both the regular sights and plates for 4 or 5 different red dot mounting patterns.
  • Some come with a red dot included.
  • all come with a holster.
  • Magazines are metal and will never bulge. Ever. folks outside of MA can get standard capacity mags which for Canik means 20 rounds.
  • Some models come with a metal body, not just a slide so the choice is yours
  • precision shooting-wise, it's pretty popular in USPSA circles.
  • The price is, well, Turkish money levels. Caniks start around $400 and top out at $700.

• excellent trigger. flat trigger resets at exactly 90 degrees. reset is short and very crisp. You can get the same in a Glock but that requires more $$$ for triggers and such.
  • comes with both the regular sights and plates for 4 or 5 different red dot mounting patterns.
  • Some come with a red dot included.
  • all come with a holster.
  • Magazines are metal and will never bulge. Ever. folks outside of MA can get standard capacity mags which for Canik means 20 rounds.
  • Some models come with a metal body, not just a slide so the choice is yours
  • precision shooting-wise, it's pretty popular in USPSA circles.
  • The price is, well, Turkish money levels. Caniks start around $400 and top out at $700.
Thank you

The price is, well, Turkish money levels. Caniks start around $400 and top out at $700.
My problem is that I'm old enough to remember when they were selling for under $200 and were kind of a cheap joke alternative for those who couldn't even afford an SD9VE.

Hard to shake that memory and start considering Caniks to be premium (and premium priced) handguns just because of the silly cosmetics & stuff they've added.

And I am not anti-Turkish guns at all. Own two others as we speak. Just not Caniks.

My problem is that I'm old enough to remember when they were selling for under $200 and were kind of a cheap joke alternative for those who couldn't even afford an SD9VE.
You are not alone! I stayed away from them for years. My mind was changed for the first time when I tried a 1911 Tsisas, and recently, when I got a chance to try Canik RIVAL, a buddy of mine was breaking in at the club. The FFL and the factory recommended a 300-400 round break-in period using 147gr ammo. I offered to "help" and was pleasantly surprised. I put 100 rounds downrange. during the entire break-in, there has not been a single failure!

You are not alone! I stayed away from them for years. My mind was changed for the first time when I tried a 1911 Tisas, and recently, when I got a chance to try Canik RIVAL, a buddy of mine was breaking in at the club. The FFL and the factory recommended a 300-400 round break-in period using 147gr ammo. I offered to "help" and was pleasantly surprised. I put 100 rounds downrange. during the entire break-in, there has not been a single failure!
Maybe it's like Korean cars. The first ones imported were cheap as can be to buy, and actually not that horrible. Now, they are much better and competitive with many other cars... but likewise, the prices have gone up too... right through the roof. So would I buy one? Answer: Yes, I suppose so, but only if I couldn't afford something better. 🤔

That's exactly my position on Canik's. It's not the gun per se... it's the way higher price tag vs. what they used to cost. At one time they were supposedly great bargains. Now, not so much. And as dirt stinkin' poor as I am, when it comes to my guns, I always eventually manage to save up enough to buy the very best. Funny how that works. [laugh]

Bottom line: At this point in my life, I have no need or desire whatsoever to add a cheap, plastic, half-painted, striker-fired gun to the arsenal. But for others? Maybe that's just what the doctor ordered. [cheers]

Maybe it's like Korean cars. The first ones imported were cheap as can be to buy, and actually not that horrible. Now, they are much better and competitive with many other cars... but likewise, the prices have gone up too... right through the roof. So would I buy one? Answer: Yes, I suppose so, but only if I couldn't afford something better. 🤔

That's exactly my position on Canik's. It's not the gun per se... it's the way higher price tag vs. what they used to cost. At one time they were supposedly great bargains. Now, not so much. And as dirt stinkin' poor as I am, when it comes to my guns, I always eventually manage to save up enough to buy the very best. Funny how that works. [laugh]

Bottom line: At this point in my life, I have no need or desire whatsoever to add a cheap, plastic, half-painted, striker-fired gun to the arsenal. But for others? Maybe that's just what the doctor ordered. [cheers]
Meh, a lot depends on what you want it for.

Guns like Glocks and I guess Canik have their place and being cheap is not necessarily a bad thing. If I take a gun hiking, I am not taking a $2.5K 1911.

Guns like Glocks and I guess Canik have their place and being cheap is not necessarily a bad thing. If I take a gun hiking, I am not taking a $2.5K 1911.
No question that cheap(er) guns have their place. Truth is that based on all the early glowing reports, I was going to buy one just to experiment with way back when they were being sold right around $200. That was the first model, of course. But they had sold out at my favorite shop and the next batch was more like $300. Ouch! A quick 50% mark-up just based on its popularity alone was going to be hard to swallow. I eventually got to try some out and wasn't that impressed, so I was glad then that I didn't go for it.

But again, it's clear that a lot of people like the gun and so maybe I'm just an outlier. My lack of enthusiasm is 90% price-related, only 10% the gun itself.

That's why I like carrying my g19. It's relatively cheap, it's accurate and reliable. I'm not going to cry if I scratch it or something happens to it, it's a tool. It's comfortable to carry, there's a million holster options and parts if I need to fix it. It's certainly not the best gun ever made but it's hard to argue that it's the worst.

Back
Top Bottom