• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to bug out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've prepped a lot at home, and I have a secondary location for a SHTF scenario... what I lack is good plans on how to get there.

What happens if the SHTF and I'm at work? Or my wife is out with the kids?

Any good resources or thoughts on creating plans and back up plans for getting to your bug in/out location?

I've prepped a lot at home, and I have a secondary location for a SHTF scenario... what I lack is good plans on how to get there.

What happens if the SHTF and I'm at work? Or my wife is out with the kids?

Any good resources or thoughts on creating plans and back up plans for getting to your bug in/out location?

I'm sure others have thought/planned out this more than me, but I have a few basic rules that I put in place that my wife agreed to:

1) if possible, get home, home is always the rally point. Always. If getting home is impossible, choose a backup rally point well in advance. Confession- I currently don't have a backup rally point, we used to, but it no longer makes logistical sense.

2) if you don't have the kids with you, get them, don't assume I will, no matter what the previous arrangements were

I think #2 is really important. What if kids were at school or at daycare or at a friend's house and I was supposed to pick them up? But my wife can't get in touch with me (phones down) and she doesn't know whether to go to find the kids or meet me at home? the DEFAULT is for her to go to the kids. Assume I'm dead. Assume I'm in traffic and can't move. Get the kids. If we both end up there, so be it.

You HAVE to assume there will be NO comms, so you have to think of plans that will work no matter what. So for #2 again, it's if the kids aren't WITH you, go to them, no matter what.

2) if you don't have the kids with you, get them, don't assume I will, no matter what the previous arrangements were

I think #2 is really important. What if kids were at school or at daycare or at a friend's house and I was supposed to pick them up? But my wife can't get in touch with me (phones down) and she doesn't know whether to go to find the kids or meet me at home? the DEFAULT is for her to go to the kids. Assume I'm dead. Assume I'm in traffic and can't move. Get the kids. If we both end up there, so be it.

You HAVE to assume there will be NO comms, so you have to think of plans that will work no matter what. So for #2 again, it's if the kids aren't WITH you, go to them, no matter what.

Right on! Get the kids first! Without my boy I don't think I would care to survive.

Waste anyone who gets in the way of objective #2.

Seriously.

I don't have kids or even like the loud little ankle biters, but I agree. I think I have been cursed with some inner paternal instinct.

That aside, a get-home-bag applies absolutely. The wife and I each have close-family residences within a 2 hour or less march from our jobs, and the ultimate goal is to get home where the bug-in preps are very much in order.

I'm saving for investment in a secondary location in rural NH, which doubles as a future home plot. Were I to have that in order, cheap used dirtbikes in well running order are the next investment.

Well, here is my problem... what happens if the SHTF when I'm at work, 45 miles from home? What happens if the world melts down when I'm on business in NYC?

I guess I'll deal with being at work, because that is the most likely scenario.

My office is in downtown Boston. Leaving during rush hour on a normal day is a disaster because traffic is bad. What happens in a SHTF situation? Roads would be clogged/impassable, public transit would likely be a mess too. How do I get out? Should I keep a bike in the office? Given that I'm close to South Station, do I RUN to the train and try to get any outbound train away from the city? Do I hold up in my office until cover of dark and hike out of the city?

Well, here is my problem... what happens if the SHTF when I'm at work, 45 miles from home? What happens if the world melts down when I'm on business in NYC?

My office is in downtown Boston. Leaving during rush hour on a normal day is a disaster because traffic is bad. What happens in a SHTF situation? Roads would be clogged/impassable, public transit would likely be a mess too. How do I get out? Should I keep a bike in the office? Given that I'm close to South Station, do I RUN to the train and try to get any outbound train away from the city? Do I hold up in my office until cover of dark and hike out of the city?

If I worked in Boston I would keep a bike in my office. If it's something serious you're not getting out in a car or public transportation.

Read some articles on coast line evacuations in Texas, it was a nightmare and they had a long time to get everyone out.

Keeping a mountain bike at the office wouldn't be a horrible idea. You could peddle your way to north station, and use the bike to follow the tracks home to Fitchburg.

Make sure you have a serious defensive handgun on you, somewhere, even if your work policy does not allow it.

Trying to evac solo through a huge city in caos is not going to be made easy by people "helping" you, if you know what I mean.

If stuff gets that bad, one must have the means and willingness to demonstrate to everyone who might be watching just how painful it would be to f-ck with you.

If you can swing it, a compact rifle with high capacity magazines in a bag that does not scream gun would be a good idea.

Make sure you have a serious defensive handgun on you, somewhere, even if your work policy does not allow it.

If you can swing it, a compact rifle with high capacity magazines in a bag that does not scream gun would be a good idea.

One, I am a bit worried about losing my job, not because of the economy but because I actually like it.

Two, I'd love to see this discreet rifle suggestion happen in MA, particularly Boston. You'd probably be crucified.

I am all about preparing and having cool guy go fast stuff, but at the same time you have to live life, otherwise whats the point in surviving?

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Ed

Well Ed, if you commute in a car, there's your ready-made storage with plausible deniability.

I can stuff a broken-down AR in any medium sized gym bag that no one would pay two seconds of attention to, and carry it that way all over anywhere where bags are not searched.

You do what you want. I am armed every time I leave the house, for whatever the reason.

Keeping a mountain bike at the office wouldn't be a horrible idea. You could peddle your way to north station, and use the bike to follow the tracks home to Fitchburg.

Boston to Fitchburg is ~50 miles as the crow flies. Riding a really light road bike 50 miles on nice roads, on a nice day, is no easy feat for most people. Riding a mountain bike next to train tracks for 50 miles would kill most Americans (not to cast aspersions on BCEagleAce's fitness level).

Other then thermal nuclear war toe to toe with the Russkies. The first stage of disaster is denial. If you have the ability to step above denial and advance to action. You should have 12 to 24 hours head start on sheeple. Depending on time of the second sunset you will need to have your group/family together within this time frame.

The first thing you need to do is develop a plan. As communication is always first to fail. Get a loose leaf folder. Add a page of all phone numbers, addresses, computer to text numbers, schools everything.

Then a page of where to go. Establish who picks up who now!

A list of what to take if you have to bug out from separate locations. A list of waypoints for communication along the way. Example: exit 22 stop sign use magic marker to write time you passed or change of plan.

A page with 10 quarters and $200 in cash laminated. Sometimes a motel room is all that is needed in a SHTF.

Only you can write your plan. I suggest you should make a copy for every BOB, every car, one for the house, and one for relatives or group members who may need to collect your family when you are away.

Good Luck SB

Riding a mountain bike next to train tracks for 50 miles would kill most Americans (not to cast aspersions on BCEagleAce's fitness level).

Even walking along train tracks is difficult. Biking would be impossible. I live near some tracks, some active and others abandoned. I walk along them sometimes just for fun, and it is slow going. The tracks themselves are easier to walk on because you can at least step on the ties, which are flat and firm. Of course, biking on railroad ties is impossible. On either side of the track is a steep bed of gravel... annoying to walk on because the stones are always sliding, and impossible to bike on. Further out from the track where the bed ends is where all the brush will be growing - walking on that is annoying and biking is impossible.

My bugout is relatively easy... there are several different routes I can take from work to home, all side roads (there are no highway roads to/from work), all 10-12 miles. If for some reason they become undrivable, I can always walk the rest of the way -- it is a long walk but 3-4 hours max which is doable.

I can stuff a broken-down AR in any medium sized gym bag that no one would pay two seconds of attention to, and carry it that way all over anywhere where bags are not searched.

Or even where they are, provided it is legal for you to have it there in that condition at that time.

Even walking along train tracks is difficult.

I've done a lot of walking along tracks. There is often (by no means always) a minimal access road alongside.

I would be less concerned about surfaces and more concerned about two legged impediments. On the other hand there is likely to be more privacy if you do need to defend yourself.

it is a long walk but 3-4 hours max which is doable.

Reminds me of a line from "Lucifer's Hammer" (a GREAT book, btw) where one of the characters had promised his wife he'd be no more than 15 minutes away if the comet actually hit. Then it hit and that 15 minutes took him a lot longer.

Quit your job and move up into the woods, problem solved...... (j/k)

Seriously, it's a bad scene if you are in the city. Bike seems like a really good idea to me.

My wife works in Boston in Government Center. Her company has provided each employee with a personal emergency kit. In addition to two larger kits for the office. Food,water, flashlight, blanket. We're putting together a BOB to go with that. City street maps, GPS, extra clothing, walking shoes, lights, candles. If there is no public transportation then the plan would be those living South of the city all make their way to Quincy to the first persons house, then the next person in Braintree and so on.
We discussed a bike but I told her that if people are running amuck cause SHTF someone would just knock her in the head and take the bike

We discussed a bike but I told her that if people are running amuck cause SHTF someone would just knock her in the head and take the bike

Good thinking. I cycle a lot and, once upon a time, I was a good mountain biker. I wouldn't want to try to bicycle through a crowd like that. Even if people aren't malicious, the chance of getting knocked off a bike is high and that leads to injuries. That's the last time you want to have a broken collarbone.

Knob Creek, what did her company think to put in the emergency kits?

I don't have a complete list but for the Personal kit its in a backpack and has water, some type of long term storage food bars (not granola), hand sanitiser, personal wipes, flashlight, emergency blanket, personal first aid kit, whistle. The company suggests the employee add change of clothing and anything else they consider useful.
The larger kits to be shared by the office include a more complete first aid kit, more food, water, larger flashlights, lanterns, batteries, and radio.

I don't have a complete list but for the Personal kit its in a backpack and has water, some type of long term storage food bars (not granola), hand sanitiser, personal wipes, flashlight, emergency blanket, personal first aid kit, whistle. The company suggests the employee add change of clothing and anything else they consider useful.
The larger kits to be shared by the office include a more complete first aid kit, more food, water, larger flashlights, lanterns, batteries, and radio.

That's a good company she works for,kind of a "benifit" of sorts.
I'll bet she dosn't work for Dunkin' Donuts or Walmart[wink]

My Commuter Emergency Kit

I also work in Boston and commute by MBTA commuter rail. Recently I put together a small commuter emergency kit that I now carry in my backpack to and from work:

* AM/FM radio w/earphones and spare AAA battery
* LED flashlight
* Cold Eze Zinc louzenges
* Vitamic C
* whistle
* small first aid kit
* dust mask
* gloves
* poncho
* emergency blanket
* signal mirror
* Bic lighter
* eyeblinds
* ear plugs
* $20 in small bills and quarters
* pen, paper
* photocopy of my drivers license and passport
* deck of playing cards
* hand sanitizer
* lip balm
* knife

All of the above fits into a gallon Zip lock bag and weighs only 2 lb.

My Commuter Emergency Kit

I also work in Boston and commute by MBTA commuter rail. Recently I put together a small commuter emergency kit that I now carry in my backpack to and from work:

* AM/FM radio w/earphones and spare AAA battery
* LED flashlight
* Cold Eze Zinc louzenges
* Vitamic C
* whistle
* small first aid kit
* dust mask
* gloves
* poncho
* emergency blanket
* signal mirror
* Bic lighter
* eyeblinds
* ear plugs
* $20 in small bills and quarters
* pen, paper
* photocopy of my drivers license and passport
* deck of playing cards
* hand sanitizer
* lip balm
* knife

All of the above fits into a gallon Zip lock bag and weighs only 2 lb.

I don't have kids or even like the loud little ankle biters, but I agree. I think I have been cursed with some inner paternal instinct.

That aside, a get-home-bag applies absolutely. The wife and I each have close-family residences within a 2 hour or less march from our jobs, and the ultimate goal is to get home where the bug-in preps are very much in order.

I'm saving for investment in a secondary location in rural NH, which doubles as a future home plot. Were I to have that in order, cheap used dirtbikes in well running order are the next investment.

Great idea to get to where I need to be. I hadn't thought of that... it's so obvious. +1

Great idea to get to where I need to be. I hadn't thought of that... it's so obvious. +1

Ever seen that disaster flick Deep Impact (1998)? I don't want to ruin the ending for you, but that's a perfect example of how handy a dirt bike can be: at the last minute, the main character is able to escape certain death by quickly getting out of Dodge (an evacuating city) and zipping through an endless line of parked cars on the interstate. Great scene!

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=4600653768923082042&hl

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom