How to bring my gun to Thunder Ranch?

Has anyone been to Thunder Ranch and if so, did you fly or drive? How did you bring your guns with you. I have MA unrestricted and Utah non resident but would prefer to fly. Provided I meet TSA regulations, Oregon does not issue non-resident permits to anyone who does not live in a contiguous (touching Oregon) state. They also state (if I read correctly) anyone can open carry, but need a permit to conceal. So when I walk out of the airport do I bolt on my 3 holsters and go?
I've been researching Handgunlaw.us and a few other sources and i'm overwhelmed with info and more confused the more i read so figured I would just see if anyone else has been through this before. Thanks for the input.

It's pretty straightforward. I took Urban Rifle last fall and left out of Logan and flew to Las Vegas. Then drove from NV>CA>OR.

Have everything unloaded and locked in a hard case (I used a pelican) with three non-tsa locks. I also packed a second set of locks just in case some genius TSA employee got excited and cut my locks off (that has happens) I flagged my rifle to make the inspection quicker.
In terms of transport and carry keep everything locked up in a trunk and there are no issues getting to the ranch.
In terms of concealed carry it is no go in Oregon without a permit HOWEVER the sheriff in the county that TR resides is pro-2a and allows restricted concealed carry to all law abiding citizens. If you are going to be carrying to and from the ranch let the staff know and they will unload and load your weapon for you when you arrive and when you leave.

You are going to have a blast, Clint and Heidi are some of the best and nicest people I have ever met. Going to go back as soon as possible.

d02ceff6c3326d439d698b98d09008b3.jpg

Thanks for the info, thats sounds easy enough. enbloc - thats some nice leather work. Now if i can find a horse rental place i'll be good to go!

Thanks, but it's not mine (no English mount for me...)
I really like it though. Have fun and Good luck!
An after-action-report would be most appreciated...
~Enbloc

I think I was following all of the above until the ... "Let someone else load and unload my guns for me" point.

Not sure I could geek to that easily without knowing and observing the other person first.

I mean, that dude on YouTube teaching the gun courses to couples and having them point them at each other and pull the trigger sort of comes to mind.

I think I was following all of the above until the ... "Let someone else load and unload my guns for me" point.

Not sure I could geek to that easily without knowing and observing the other person first.

I mean, that dude on YouTube teaching the gun courses to couples and having them point them at each other and pull the trigger sort of comes to mind.

It's thunder ranch not voda consulting.... [rofl]

I'm guessing this is more of some weird range safety protocol thing vs not trusting the students.

I'm guessing this is more of some weird range safety protocol thing vs not trusting the students.
I ran into that at a Kappleson class. A cop in the class wanted to take a closer look at the Beretta I was using, and asked Manny if we could unholster in the kitchen (controlled range, no handling rules in place). While we were both standing there he said fine, but looking at the cop and speaking like I was not even there, said "Fine, but you are in charge when that gun is being handled". Let me know right where I stood.

I'm pretty sure its just supervised unloading and loading at a safe table. I think they just insuring no one shoot their dick off monkeying with their tactical cod-piece. They are proud of the fact that no one has ever been shot there and are trying to keep it that way. TR attracts all types and encourages novice shooters, they run a tight ship and its not their first rodeo.

To the OP. The key thing that you are missing is that NO LICENSE is needed to simply possess and transport.

So drive to Logan. Check your guns paying attention to the TSA and your airlines websites.

When you get to Oregon, collect your luggage and be on your way.

Don't over think it like most ma**h***s. Mass is one of only a handful of states that requires a license to possess. Even CT doesn't require that.

Also, generally speaking you can have multiple firearms per container and you CAN put ammo in with the firearms. I just checked Delta's website and that's how it still is.

Delta allows up to 11 lbs of ammo.

So if you are going for a pistol class, you can put all your pistols , mags, and 11 lbs of ammo in one rifle case.

That's what I do.

Remember that if you lock a little case inside your soft luggage, its easy for the scumbag TSA thugs to steal your gun.
If instead you pistil is locked (with non TSA locks) in your Pellican rifle case, its much harder to steal.

PS. Thunder ranch is lead-free frangible ammo for the majority of classes.
They recommend you order the ammo from Sinterfire and have it delivered directly ahead of your class.

Thanks for the info, i knew about the frangible ammo deal. I've been in MA too long and have been indoctrinated by "you cant do anything without a permission slip." The only thing left to do is pick the class date and sign up for TSA pre check. I put aside half of my arms and ammo budget this year for training. For this year I want to start with TR then Mas Ayoob. I'll send out after action report when done. I just wanted a chance to learn from a few of the "originals", not taking anything away from the new guys though as they have alot of new stuff to offer. John Lovell is on the list at some point too. Unfortunately James Yeager is not lol. Not saying hes not a good dude, I just cant align myself with some of his tactics without feeling like i should be wearing 3A. Thanks for all your input gents.

If you are a reloader then keep an eye on frangiblebullets.com

I recently picked up 2000 frangible bullets at only $85 / 1000 on a closeout. When I take a class at Sig, the frangible ammo would cost more than the class otherwise. This helps me bring the cost down to about $6 per box (from $16/box.)

Sorry for the hijack OP...

Had a few members ask what rifle in the saddle-scabbard pix. So,...
It is the SG 510, aka the Stgw 57 (Swiss Mil. Designation)
7.5x55 Swiss, or 7.62x51nato for the SG510-4.
Glove-friendly, K31 Swiss-like charging handle is non-reciprocating with each trigger pull.
SIG AMT in semi-auto only comes in .308 also.

main-qimg-a5fd282df165b24c222fb7935369e3c1

F_ass_57.jpeg

Great vid on this family of robust rifles...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom