• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to break in your barrel for ar-15 rifle?

jeepsrt8

NES Member
I am in the process of purchasing a stag arms model 2 ar-15 rifle. The question I have is what is the best way to break in the barrel? I have heard mixed answers on this question and wanted to get the response from other NES members. The most common answers I have heard are:
a) shoot a lot of rounds down range
b) after every three rounds use a bore snake and clean out the barrel. Do this for the first hundred rounds to prevent from copper deposits building up.
Thank you for your help in advance.

there is no break in. i end up rebarreling my match ARs at least once a season, and my breakin consists of the 10-20 rounds it takes to get the front sight base re-aligned and centered up, and another 88 rounds the following weekend (I just shoot a match with it....those "break in" matches have been some of the best scores i've ever shot too)

Rock River does indeed say to just shoot it. If it makes you feel better, shoot groups of 5 rounds and clean it with a wet patch followed by a few dry patches until they come out mostly clean. Keep doing this ( five shot groups) until the wet patch isn't that dirty. What your looking for is to fill in the porosity of the barrel. After that, you want to clean out the barrel but not so well that roughness of the porosity comes back. I learning the hard one on this one! It only needs to be so clean!

Back
Top Bottom