• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to become an instructor?

are there any course closer to middlesex county?!

The course is typically done over a weekend, so you only have to make the trip for a few days. I took the class from a training counselor in Cambridge some years back. I would have been far better off making the drive to Northboro and learning from Jon Green -- not all training counselors are equal.

It depends on the current backlog.

NRAInstructors.org website is displaying this at the moment:

NRA Training Department has completed processing of all Instructor / RSO applications received through Friday, September 28, 2012. If you feel your application should have been received prior to the above date, and have not yet received your credentials, contact the training counselor that conducted your course.

So, at this moment it is about 5-6 weeks allowing for mailing time.

-Rick

As for the "W" word. I'm 100% in accord with the NRA....as a firearm is NOT a weapon until it's used as such*. Shoes are not a weapon, nor is a beer bottle, but if one uses either in a fight....then it is. Yes, the potential for "weaponization" is there....but that applies to many items.
That's bullshit, and you know it. Making it sound less doesn't make it so. A shoe is meant to protect your feet, a bottle's purpose is to store a liquid. A firearms original and main purpose is to kill. That's what it was invented for. Shooting targets was originally meant as a way to practice how to kill more efficiently, period. The fact that at some point, someone thought " hey, this is fun. I'll do it for a hobby" does not take away from its original purpose. There are only 2 personal weapons that have been conceived for the sole purpose of doing bodily harm: the sword and it's derivatives, and the firearm. When you see a Iai-do master doing his thing, he practices to kill people, just like most people practice the same at the range. You sound like the liberals who insist on calling illegal immigrants "undocumented aliens". Doesn't make them any less illegal, but it sounds cuter.

That's bullshit, and you know it. Making it sound less doesn't make it so. A shoe is meant to protect your feet, a bottle's purpose is to store a liquid. A firearms original and main purpose is to kill. That's what it was invented for. Shooting targets was originally meant as a way to practice how to kill more efficiently, period. The fact that at some point, someone thought " hey, this is fun. I'll do it for a hobby" does not take away from its original purpose. There are only 2 personal weapons that have been conceived for the sole purpose of doing bodily harm: the sword and it's derivatives, and the firearm. When you see a Iai-do master doing his thing, he practices to kill people, just like most people practice the same at the range. You sound like the liberals who insist on calling illegal immigrants "undocumented aliens". Doesn't make them any less illegal, but it sounds cuter.

Taking a section out of my post, out of context is bullshit, and you know it.

In a Basic course, where you may have students that have never touched, much less fired, a gun, making them or nervous is stupid.

That is the point I was making.

I you agree to teach the NRA Basic course, you agree to do it their way. If not, create your own course.

Even the Mass license is not a "CCW" - it's a License to Carry Firearms.

I took the section out of your post, but you clearly write that you are 100% in accord with the NRA, so that section, by nature,can not be taken out of context.
If you technique to ease your students is to embellish things instead of calling a spade a spade, then you're doing it wrong. If that's the NRA way, then the NRA is doing it wrong as well. If the people you are teaching do not realize that guns are first and foremost weapons, then maybe they shouldn't get guns in the first place. JMO, of course.

Read the footnote in the post that you took it from. That is part of the context.

If you go to an Anti Rally, and yell, "WHAT PART OF SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED DON'T YOU UNERSTAND?!?!?!", you will not further the cause.

My point, that you seem to be ignoring, is that the NRA discourages the use of "weapon" for political, not practical reasons. Do you think that not open carrying (where lawful) to a Town Meeting where further restrictions on gun ownership is a good idea? If you scare the sheep, they remain sheep, but are harder to herd.

I'm fairly certain that the possibilities of the gun is obvious; the fact that the Instructors bring carry pieces, as well as Mark IIIs for the class (Hell, a killy Tec-9 has been seen on the show & tell table) illustrates the uses of guns.

I have no idea if you're attended a Basic Pistol class; the ones that I participate in cover the various uses from target to carry, without "weaponing" it up. My guess is that a shrouded-hammer snubbie with integral laser sight that is carried 24/7 in not inferred to be a paperweight.

JMO, of course.

If you scare the sheep, they remain sheep, but are harder to herd.

^^THIS^^

FWIW, when I teach BFS, I use the term firearm and not weapon for the same reason--and regardless of what the NRA's stance is, I would. 99% of the students I teach (admittedly a few dozen, not hundreds or thousands like some of you guys) are complete newbies or newly awakening sheeple. You have to know your audience and gear the vernacular as such. To me, for a BFS class, it's a firearm. In a Level III Defensive Shooting class, its a weapon. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom