How to be a competitor, (from MA State)

allen-1

NES Member
On stage 2 of last weekend's MA State IDPA, the paper required THREE hits as opposed to the default TWO. Spelled out clearly in the stage brief.

I watched a couple of people get procedurals as they put two on each, then had to go back for the third which meant that they were re-engaging, thus a procedural.

One competitor, a very good shot, put two on each and called it a day. Picked up two procedurals, (one for each array), and 4 misses - total of 26 points down for the stage.

I saw his face as the SO called it all out, and he was composed. No stomping, no swearing, just a calm acceptance that he'd made a mistake and it was going to cost him.

He went on to shoot the rest of the match, and placed quite well. He had 24 points down and 9 penalty points when done. That's 20/6 on one stage and 4/3 for the other 13 combined.

I've heard it said, and said myself - once the stage is shot, it's history - focus on what you have to do. He exemplified that.

On stage 2 of last weekend's MA State IDPA, the paper required THREE hits as opposed to the default TWO. Spelled out clearly in the stage brief.

I watched a couple of people get procedurals as they put two on each, then had to go back for the third which meant that they were re-engaging, thus a procedural.

One competitor, a very good shot, put two on each and called it a day. Picked up two procedurals, (one for each array), and 4 misses - total of 26 points down for the stage.

I saw his face as the SO called it all out, and he was composed. No stomping, no swearing, just a calm acceptance that he'd made a mistake and it was going to cost him.

He went on to shoot the rest of the match, and placed quite well. He had 24 points down and 9 penalty points when done. That's 20/6 on one stage and 4/3 for the other 13 combined.

I've heard it said, and said myself - once the stage is shot, it's history - focus on what you have to do. He exemplified that.
Yup the switching back and forth of two rounds vs three rounds then 4 etc, is a pain to remember when the timer beeps. The canoe stage I got my first ever flagrant PE for loading to 10+1 not 5+1 with the first mag. Shot out of order on the airplane stage...ugh. IDPA/USPSA is all mental and that's where I struggle [rofl]

Or just don't shoot IDPA and avoid the frustrating rules altogether 🙂
Yeah, because USPSA doesn't have very many rules. [rofl]
There def are plenty of rules but at least it's "Shoot them as you see them". The only penalties I get in USPSA (aside from no shoots or misses) is forgetting to engage a target.

There def are plenty of rules but at least it's "Shoot them as you see them". The only penalties I get in USPSA (aside from no shoots or misses) is forgetting to engage a target.

They're definitely different games, I like the thought that goes into USPSA stage planning.

Yup the switching back and forth of two rounds vs three rounds then 4 etc, is a pain to remember when the timer beeps. The canoe stage I got my first ever flagrant PE for loading to 10+1 not 5+1 with the first mag. Shot out of order on the airplane stage...ugh. IDPA/USPSA is all mental and that's where I struggle [rofl]

Andrew's performance is also note worthy. Even with his flagrant and another stage with a bad primer he still handily won SSP division with several masters shooting against him.

Don't ever mention USPSA and IDPA in the same sentence. It is not even the same level of mental.

USPSA is stage planning, that is about it. I only ran into one stage they wanted 3 shots instead of 2 shots on targets.

Now Cowboy action, I went to a few shoots to check them out, some I was so lost ... shoot target A 3 times, Target B 1, Target C 1. The second time, shoot B and C two times each and A one time. ... WTF bro! [rofl]

Don't ever mention USPSA and IDPA in the same sentence. It is not even the same level of mental.

USPSA is stage planning, that is about it. I only ran into one stage they wanted 3 shots instead of 2 shots on targets.
True but you’re not limited in how to shoot a stage with USPSA. I rarely get penalties (well aside from no shoots and mikes) in USPSA but when I do it’s from forgetting to engage a target lol. In IDPA, I’m always good for a procedural/penalty at every other match lol.
It is definitely all stage planning but the less number of rules, more speed, and higher round count stages, is why I enjoy USPSA so much more lol.

You been to any USPSA matches this year? I only shoot Hopkinton and Harvard. Everywhere else is too far for me lol. Sometimes I’ll shoot Sanford, ME but haven’t made it up there this year. Hate to admit I shoot more IDPA just because of more matches in closer proximity to me

True but you’re not limited in how to shoot a stage with USPSA. I rarely get penalties (well aside from no shoots and mikes) in USPSA but when I do it’s from forgetting to engage a target lol. In IDPA, I’m always good for a procedural/penalty at every other match lol.
It is definitely all stage planning but the less number of rules, more speed, and higher round count stages, is why I enjoy USPSA so much more lol.

You been to any USPSA matches this year? I only shoot Hopkinton and Harvard. Everywhere else is too far for me lol. Sometimes I’ll shoot Sanford, ME but haven’t made it up there this year. Hate to admit I shoot more IDPA just because of more matches in closer proximity to me
I got a little bored from USPSA and did steel challenge only this year.

Hate to admit I shoot more IDPA just because of more matches in closer proximity to me
Nothing wrong with letting proximity determine your shooting schedule. At the end of the day, they are all games, and we play them for fun.
Except for that Steel Challenge crap, I still can't get used to the idea of shooting steel that's not supposed to fall over when you hit it...

I was humbled by a Steel Challenge stage today, definitely harder than the YouTube videos make it look.

Nothing wrong with letting proximity determine your shooting schedule. At the end of the day, they are all games, and we play them for fun.
Except for that Steel Challenge crap, I still can't get used to the idea of shooting steel that's not supposed to fall over when you hit it...

I was humbled by a Steel Challenge stage today, definitely harder than the YouTube videos make it look.
Yup. I shoot both just to get as much trigger time as I can. Haven’t shot SC since 2018ish. Probably should jump in it again

Back
Top Bottom